Best day pack???

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for the best day pack that will not be hauling meat. Pretty much looking for a day pack for scouting, going to the range with, etc. Leaning towards Kifaru shape charge, stone glacier avail, or the new kuiu venture.
Like the Kifaru, but they moved the price to $400 for the shape charge. Tough to stomach pretty much $450 to my door for a day pack. That and you can’t even get them right now.

Any preferences/experiences/thoughts?

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
As I started reading your post and saw you didn't need to haul meat with it I immediately thought "Kifaru Shape Charge". I've had one for several years and love it. The price increase is tough to stomach though, it's a pricey bag. I use mine for travel, hiking, scouting, etc. as well so I get plenty of use out of it and it looks as good as new after several years of use, but it still hurts to put that much out that up front. No experience with the other options you threw out, they may work just as well for less money but I can't comment on them personally.

Drenalin

WKR
I use a Camebak Hawg for pretty much what you've described. I think I gave $100 for it several years ago.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
I absolutely love my Kuiu Divide 1500 and still use it for short trips. I also have the SG Avail that is my go-to day pack. I love it even more. I removed the waistbelt on both of these because I'm only carrying 15 or so lbs during hikes and scouts.

pirogue

WKR
Kifaru Antero. But mine is the original one with the handle on top. Not the Antero 2, which looks like the handle was an afterthought, and sewn on at the 2:00 position

You still want some load hauling capability, right? I would not be unheard of to have 13 pounds of optics on a day hunt. Plus the other stuff.

The Avail frame is just a thin sheet of HDPE. It will carry ~0 load.

I like a little more than 2000 ci, otherwise the Shape Charge looks nice.

Maybe look at the Seek Outside Flight Two? You'll trade some durability and usability for weight and cost compared to the Kifaru.

While not really framed I will second the camelbak hawg. It's not the fanciest pack ever but it is cheap, has many pockets and tie-off points and is comfortable for me.

nanuk

FNG
Looking for the best day pack that will not be hauling meat. Pretty much looking for a day pack for scouting, going to the range with, etc. Leaning towards Kifaru shape charge, stone glacier avail, or the new kuiu venture.
Like the Kifaru, but they moved the price to $400 for the shape charge. Tough to stomach pretty much $450 to my door for a day pack. That and you can’t even get them right now.

Any preferences/experiences/thoughts?
I really like my kuiu venture 2300. Plenty of straps and lash points to expand or compress as needed. I've strapped stands and sticks to hike in and it handles weight well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Avail will haul 25-30 lbs without any drama- It has a frame sheet and two carbon rods as well, not going to haul quarters, but a heavy day hunting load out- no problem, at all.

It has a few neat features like the ability to full remove the waist belt (nicely padded by the way) to ease use as a carry on. The shoulder straps (and frame) are removable as well if you want to hitch to a dedicated hauling frame.

Has pretty good organization inside, a decent sized outer zipped pocket and the "beavertail" is really handy for hauling stuff too.

I've added pockets to the waist belt to access stuff you want readily available- headlamp, ammo, snacks, gloves, etc.

5eqwrde.jpg

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
I love my SG Avail for exactly what you described. I also just picked up a Kifaru Echo for an even lighter/cleaner (less straps) daypack more for family trips and EDC. I'll say the SG Avail is a lot more pack for the money, by far, like not even close.... I know the Echo isn't the Shape Charge, but they're similar enough for comparison sake.

Price aside, I would say if you want a more technical day pack go Avail, if you want something more along the lines of an EDC pack go Kifaru. The Avail handles weight really, really well.

KUIU has there Venture 2300 on the outlet right now for a pretty good deal:

I have the Venture 1800 and really like it. I sometimes wish I got the 2300 though for the extra room.

KUIU has there Venture 2300 on the outlet right now for a pretty good deal:

I have the Venture 1800 and really like it. I sometimes wish I got the 2300 though for the extra room.
I’ve almost bought that a couple times but just have no use for it since I added a Pop Up 38.

I’ve almost bought that a couple times but just have no use for it since I added a Pop Up 38.
That actually looks like a legit pack. The Venture cant really haul any meat and when I called KUIU they said about 35 lbs is the max for their Venture packs. I might get one of those for the fall actually, have you been happy with yours?

That actually looks like a legit pack. The Venture cant really haul any meat and when I called KUIU they said about 35 lbs is the max for their Venture packs. I might get one of those for the fall actually, have you been happy with yours?
I just got it Monday and haven’t had a chance to play with it much. There’s tons of review for them out there. It’s kind of a unique product. Nothing else is that compact with a real load shelf and load carrying abilities.

I’m not actually planning to use it for hunting much. I wanted a day hiking pack for when I go with my family (wife, 2 kids under 5, and 2 senior dogs) in case one of them (not my wife lol) needed to be carried out.

They’re also pretty cheap as they are on sale pretty regularly.

I just got it Monday and haven’t had a chance to play with it much. There’s tons of review for them out there. It’s kind of a unique product. Nothing else is that compact with a real load shelf and load carrying abilities.

I’m not actually planning to use it for hunting much. I wanted a day hiking pack for when I go with my family (wife, 2 kids under 5, and 2 senior dogs) in case one of them (not my wife lol) needed to be carried out.

They’re also pretty cheap as they are on sale pretty regularly.

Im sold. I really need a day pack that has a load shelf and this fits the bill. Thanks for the heads up, I just snagged one on Campsaver for $170 out the door:

(25% off with LUCK25 code)

Im sold. I really need a day pack that has a load shelf and this fits the bill. Thanks for the heads up, I just snagged one on Campsaver for $170 out the door:

(25% off with LUCK25 code)
That is a crazy deal. I may have to return mine.

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
Wow. I didn’t need one but that was too good of deal. I know they have a new version, but $170 shipped vs $425, I’ll use the old.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Did you just buy the last one in Foilage? It got bought while it was in my cart.

Got one in tan. Good looking out @SuspiciousFish
MIght have been me. I bought a foliage just a while ago.

Has anyone looked at the new one? It has an optics mounting stud on top of the part of the frame that pops up.

• Integrated ¼” - 20 optics thumbscrew allows you to thread your camera, spotting scope or rifle mount directly to the frame for optimal stabilization
Pop Up 40 112823_coyote-(Detail, Frame)-1050.jpg