Best Climbers

Studs1991

FNG
Hey tree stand hunters,

I am looking to lighten up from my current gorilla climber. I am looking for recommendations, trying to find a balance between weight and comfort. Thanks in advance for any input.

Rs3003

WKR
I had a timber tall tree stand. Not sure if they are still in business. It was very light weight and it was adjustable while in the tree. There was a 3” wing nut you would turn to tilt the stand. I sold it a couple years ago because I didn’t have time to archery hunt. but I highly recommend it.

ncstewart

WKR
I’m an eastern guy and stand hunted my whole life. I haven’t tried all that’s out there but have played with several.
I use an ol man lock-on that’s the old carbon fiber and it rocks but not a huge fan of the climbers.
Summit equally most comfy stands I’ve used by far.
Lone wolf hand climber equally crazy packable but no way is it gonna compare in comfort to summit. I haven’t set this stand yet only played with it due to getting it after season this year.
Personally I’d look at XOP/lone wolf if your mainly worried about packing. If comfort is main goal then summit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomM

FNG
I’ve used a few, but came back to a Summit Viper believe it’s the SE model, which is aluminum like the SD, but much cheaper due to generic camo used. It’s not licensed mossy oak, etc. which I could care less about.

I look at it this way, the time to pack a stand back in and limited days to hunt has me focusing on the rut which means all day sits. Nothing is better than summit for comfort which is a must for all day sits.

i started with a summit and switched to a lone wolf alpha hand climber about 4 years ago. no way am i going to packing around one of those huge stands. i'll throw in the disclaimer though that i don't do all day hunts so the max time i'm in it on a morning sit might be 6 hours. i tend to stand a lot.

I've had em all. Summit, API, Old Man, etc etc.

Tried and X-stand. No freaking way. Too noise and too suseptable to failure IMHO.

While the lone wolf hand climber is not the most comfortable. It is the easiest and lightest to pack.

Not to mention it is the quietest to attach to the tree.

It gets my vote until somene comes up with something real freaking light and real quiet.

I have an old summit goliath, not the lightest or most compact but if I climb slow its not really any noisier than my lw hangon as long as the tree isn't shaggy bark or red pine. I've never used a lone wolf climber but my hangon lw is really nice, quiet and light. the only downside it's really uncomfortable I've done all day sits in it but I better have a hot bath to get into at the end of the day, and I'm only 31.

elkyinzer

WKR
You really can't go wrong with LW or any of the aluminum Summits. Depending where you want to fall on the weight/comfort spectrum.

Muddy Stalker is another current one that looks really appealing, but I haven't put my hands on one.

If you want to go as light as possible looks for a used Loggy Bayou. May need to replace the belt but I think those are every bit as good as LW and Summits.

It would be best if the op could tell us if he's interested in hand climbers or if sit and climbs are a must. I'd make very different recommendations based on what the preferences are.

TomM

FNG
I’ve used a few, but came back to a Summit Viper believe it’s the SE model, which is aluminum like the SD, but much cheaper due to generic camo used. It’s not licensed mossy oak, etc. which I could care less about.

I look at it this way, the time to pack a stand back in and limited days to hunt has me focusing on the rut which means all day sits. Nothing is better than summit for comfort which is a must for all day sits.

Correction, it’s the si model that is the generic sd, weighs 20lbs (Lone wolf is 17.5) and you can find them online for 219.99

ethan

WKR
I’ve run a LW hand climber for over 10 years. To me they are plenty comfortable enough. I do stand a lot but even when I sit for long periods I don’t have any issues with it.

I have the XOP hand climber (pretty much a LW). It's not comfortable but I have managed all day sits. It's also small enough that with a frame stopped on I can carry out a quartered deer if I'm more than a mile back. It's pretty quiet too.

zeke392

FNG
I have spent allot of time climbing trees and sitting in those stands. I have not tried them all but have a hard time believing any stand is better than a Summit. I have a couple open front versions bushmaster, cobra, etc and recommend you take a look at them. I have never had any problems with any Summit stand

Last edited:
Have a barn full of Ol’Man and Summit climbers. Started hunting this year out of a Treewalker climber based on a recommendation from a friend. Lightest, quietest and most solid climber I have ever used. Would not hesitate to use is on a slick oak tree; can’t say the same for the other brands. Made in the USA as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I'll be the first to vouch for API. I've been using an API Grand Slam for the past 15 years and love it. I also have a Summit Viper SD and I still take the API. Although the Viper SD is nice, I can climb quicker and more comfortable with the API. I don't need a big fancy padded seat like the Viper has since I stand most of the time. The API has a simple seat that helps it pack down better.