Best Blaze Orange Vests for Western Big Game and Whitetail Deer

Drenalin

WKR
I've used the Orange Aglow more than anything, but the velcro is extremely annoying to me. Tried the Sitka Ballistic vest last year and like it fine - the magnetic closure is annoying too, but less so than velcro. I wouldn't pay full price for one though - at $100 retail, it's just not that special. Agree with the points above about functional blaze orange clothing.

I use an older Cabela's Guide Vest for still hunting whitetails without a pack. It's heavy, but the large back pocket has enough room for water, snacks, and an extra layer if needed.

For western hunting, I use a basic vest with minimal pockets that are always empty.
Yep. Black fleece lined.
View attachment 538426

Cabelas also made a plain unlined version that is about half the weight.
View attachment 538427
Very well made, back when Cabelas still sold quality. I've had the orange/black camo one for over 25 yrs.

In my opinion the hunting clothing companies really drop the ball on blaze orange offerings, especially vests. That being said, I haven’t looked at the FL vest yet. I hate the crappy cheapo vests myself. I’ve been using upland hunting vests instead for years, so do all the guys I hunt with. They are close to perfect, think of them as functioning like a turkey vest for eastern whitetail (we do big woods still hunting). Lots of pockets and storage for gear, lunch, rain jacket, etc. I have a very old cabelas brand that was discontinued years ago.

Dennis

WKR
I have been wearing am Under Armor vest for years. It works well and has zipper closure and larger pockets.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thankfully we don't have to deal with this in Idaho. For other states I have an orange vest that a friend of my dad sewed for me over 30 years ago. Plenty of pockets and adjusts to fit over just about anything. Even has a blaze orange drop foam seat like a turkey vest in it. Hardly ever leaves the closet anymore though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

92xj

WKR
I don’t know how many referrals or recommendations it takes to get someone on the internet to buy something, but I will also add to the orange aglow recommendation. Super simple, light, and great quality. I also use his panels to cover my pack when my pack covers the back of the vest. The game warden’s have appreciated that panel when checking me.

Mosby

WKR
Primos vest with stuff cut off. Has a bunch of pockets for snacks, glasses and small stuff I like to carry.

Honyock

WKR
For whatever reason, the cheap vests last me one year before the velcro fastener or the strap for the buckles tears loose. Picked up a zip up vest from Blackovis and it survived year one and is still as good as when I bought it.

My $0.02 = simple is better. I have the Sitka ballistic vest and one from under armor. Hardly use either. I use an orange aglow vest and panel and love them. They make it easy to get to your jacket pockets. Mesh vest and panel for $35. They are light and packable and pretty durable. Size up to go over winter layers.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know that I could spend more than 5-10$ on orange. I seem to collect orange sweatshirts. Every year I end up with another or two given out by vendors or bought on clearance. I typically cut the sleeves off and use them more like a vest. I usually one over my outer layer when walking, and keep an extra in my pack to throw on over a puffy if I need to sit for a while. I'll keep an extra or two in the truck, just in case.

Maverick1

WKR
I used cheap vests for a long time. Then I got one with a zipper up the front and pouches/hand pockets in the front. Much nicer, easier to use, and very functional. No more wrestling with trying to fit it over my outer layers. Worth the few extra $ for me.

jd1006

WKR
The Kuiu one is great…zipper for warm weather, snap for over outer layers late season.

intunegp

WKR
I got the Orvis softshell hunting vest as a gift, honestly I like it a lot better than Orange Aglow or other velcro/mesh but I still go back and forth. Sometimes I don't want my orange to add to my layering/insulation, other times I don't mind it. Not that the vest adds a ton of warmth either way. Not sure I'd spend the $129 out of pocket but as a gift it was much appreciated as I'd been curious about the "higher end" of blaze orange.

Wolfshead

FNG
I got the Orvis softshell hunting vest as a gift, honestly I like it a lot better than Orange Aglow or other velcro/mesh but I still go back and forth. Sometimes I don't want my orange to add to my layering/insulation, other times I don't mind it. Not that the vest adds a ton of warmth either way. Not sure I'd spend the $129 out of pocket but as a gift it was much appreciated as I'd been curious about the "higher end" of blaze orange.
That looks like a really nice vest!
I'm with you about the $129 cost, but as a gift….
My issues are that I need something for early season over light clothing to late season over heavy clothing, and I really don’t want to have to have multiple vests.
So for me, I feel that the compromise is the low cost orange aglow which I can use all season.

The vest I have on in my profile pic is a polar fleece I bought from Cabelas in 2005. I had a solid blaze one just like it before for ten years. Still have both. They are very stretchy and not much trouble. Zipper and two pockets. Best thing is they are not noisy. I don't wear a vest unless required by law. If I have to wear one these are about as all I can ask out of a moderately price vest.