Best base camp??

JP100

WKR
I am always in the market for a better base camp for my guiding.

Currently i am using a small wall tent with tubular framing, which might be as good as it gets. But am always open to other ideas. This tent is 2m by 3m(6.6ft x 10ft), just has stand up room(about a 6ft center) amd weighs around 25kg(55 to 60lbs) poles and tent

Generally we are using bass camp for 2 to 3 guys, either on cots on mats. Stand up room is awesome.

We are getting heli drop offs(think super cub or float plane) so weight and packed size are my main complaint with the current set up.

We are camping above tree line, in a pretty rough environment. Wind is bad here, and wrecks lots of tents every year.

I have tried a cabelas alaskan outfitter(failed in wind), a 6man tipi(failed in wind).

Tipis seem to much height for the size, but definitely are a lightweight option.

Artic oven and snow trekker tents are on the radar. But am worried about their performance in wind.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190605_145608.jpg
    20190605_145608.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 70
OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
If your Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter and a 6man tipi tent failed, you have some monster winds. Get the Arctic Oven. Why keep wrecking tents as you go up the ladder testing tents? Cry once.
Because i have no idea if they are going to be any better, thats why.

Im in NZ so shipping costs are a big deal. Ive never seen an artic oven in the flesh, so no idea what they are like.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Worth noting we operate in a really wet and humid environment(not super cold). And i had heard the artic ovens can be bad for condensation?

We are super wet, not like Alaska haha

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Northface used to make a large tent that was rated for over 120 mph winds. I think it was called the specter or something like that. Pricey but effective.

Because i have no idea if they are going to be any better, thats why.

Im in NZ so shipping costs are a big deal. Ive never seen an artic oven in the flesh, so no idea what they are like.
Got it. So you’re looking at tropical storm force winds. Need something for 2-3 guys comfortable.
Arctic Oven is a double-walled tent. Less condensation than a tipi. It is a heavy tent, but if you are looking for strength, it’s hard to beat. The tent fabric is supposed to wick moisture out from the interior. Maybe others who run this tent in warmer weather can attest to its performance in your type of climate.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Stone glaciers big dome is also an option.
Im leaning toward canvas more and more. its heavier, but the durability is always going to be better than synthetics. especially with stoves/embers and we have a Keas(alpine parrots) that will shred a tent in a few minutes

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
10x13 snowtrekker owner here. Have been in mid 30s winds without issue. Mostly winter camping and elk hunting but we also try to pick spots out of the wind to camp. Tent and poles are around 33lbs so that is a savings over what you have. Quick set up and it packs small.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
Arctic oven out of those, but I would also toss a 10x14 flex bow into the mix. I've got a few outfitter tents as well as the Alaskan 8 person...the 10x14 flex bow gets the nod most times. Love the ease of setup and it has handled some nasty situations with remarkable results.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Hi JP100,

I like how you listed your units. I work with a Kiwi expat and some Dutch guys, and we joke about mixed units all the time. At work we sometimes buy NZ exports, but we rarely ship to or travel there, otherwise I'd try to help.

For a canvas tent in high winds, the Springbar design does really well. It's very quiet in wind, but raindrops drum loudly on the tensioned roof. Springbar's US-made tents are pretty consistently a no-stock/high demand affair, but I think their Chinese-made models have better availability. Kodiak Canvas's Flex Bow models are a Chinese-made copy of the Springbar design, and they are both cheaper and much more available. I don't know the situation with either in NZ. None are particularly lightweight, but they aren't any worse than most canvas tents, apart from some like Snowtrekker that are making an effort to minimize weight.

I live a few hours from where Snowtrekkers are made, so I see them around here. I've only got a little direct experience with them myself, but it's been very positive. However, here in Minnesota in the winter, we make it a point to pitch a tent in heavy tree cover, so I can't really comment on how they do in high wind.

I also have never seen an Arctic Oven, so I'm no help there.

Legend

WKR
I am always in the market for a better base camp for my guiding.

Currently i am using a small wall tent with tubular framing, which might be as good as it gets. But am always open to other ideas. This tent is 2m by 3m(6.6ft x 10ft), just has stand up room(about a 6ft center) amd weighs around 25kg(55 to 60lbs) poles and tent

Generally we are using bass camp for 2 to 3 guys, either on cots on mats. Stand up room is awesome.

We are getting heli drop offs(think super cub or float plane) so weight and packed size are my main complaint with the current set up.

We are camping above tree line, in a pretty rough environment. Wind is bad here, and wrecks lots of tents every year.

I have tried a cabelas alaskan outfitter(failed in wind), a 6man tipi(failed in wind).

Tipis seem to much height for the size, but definitely are a lightweight option.

Artic oven and snow trekker tents are on the radar. But am worried about their performance in wind.

Thanks
Glad to hear someone else who has experienced serious wind and seen tipi tents fail. There design can't possibly handle super high winds.

I have used arctic oven tents but it was a long time ago. We used them in the arctic with high wind and cold. They can certainly handle wind and cold. You are paying extra for insulation that you don't need. Great tent maker.

Stone glacier would also be on the list. But not sure how they would hold up to the parrots. Maybe throw a cheap sacrifice tarp over it?

Good luck!

AO all the way! They are absolute bomb proof and I dare say you won't find anything better equipped for the elements, outside of a hard sided cabin. They handle heavy winds, rain, snow loads, and condensation like no other tent made. Their only cons are, they're pricy and heavy, but it's kind of hard to put a price tag on being able to comfortably sleep in a nice warm, solid shelter, when all hell is breaking loose outside.

72f3463837a683249e1835edf4d0e0be.jpg

748891e27d08d836859cf1d9bf628ae8.jpg

3812a5ad6c6b2cec1b12eb30d78d376c.jpg

Last edited:
Worth noting we operate in a really wet and humid environment(not super cold). And i had heard the artic ovens can be bad for condensation?

We are super wet, not like Alaska haha

The material that they make the walls of their tents out of is called Vapex, and I don’t believe there is a better fabric available for dealing with condensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozyclint

WKR
I know the wind of which you speak. You might struggle to find anything big that will handle the wind.
Don't know where you hunt but on the west coast where we hunt we struggle to find decent footprints to pitch our 1 and 2 man tents let alone anything bigger.
Some hunts just require suffering.

@AK Troutbum which AO tent is shown in your pictures? Thanks.
That's an AO 12. I used to have a 10 without the vestibule, but missed it, so I replaced it with the 12. A couple of my buddies have Arktika's and they're even more storm worthy than the square tents. Here’s a couple pictures of the Arktika and my old AO 10. That AO 10 was over 25 years old and had been used a ton!
8d05e2381a2ce54a6851c396501af1ee.jpg

9856f16086f256f61e0738abecc242d5.jpg

ffc022deeb9cc2c1d02e843a5fc65b83.jpg

54d5a481579eaadf4a40c6a27be13f3a.jpg

Last edited: