Best Bang for Buck Binocs <$200

Crusader

WKR
Hey guys. I have some non-hunting relatives that need some inexpensive binoculars for a national parks vacation (Yellowstone, Tetons) out west next month and beyond that just to have for general purpose, or whatever. They've never owned binocs and are on a tight budget. I told them I'd do some shopping. I'm thinking 8x42 would be a pretty good option. If I could find Vortex Diamondback on sale under $200, I'm thinking that would be pretty good but am certainly open to other possibilities.

What do you think would be a good value buy for this purpose?

Thanks

I have no experience with these but they are normally 499. Feradyne owns rage, covert trail cams, Glendale, carbon express and a ton of other brands. I sure wouldn't buy them at 499 but id imagine they will be much better then anything else even remotely close to this sales price

Diamondbacks or Bushnell Legends (E, L or M). I started with a pair of Legend Ls and still keep them in the truck.

Luepold bx-2 12x52s. Go everywhere with me. They hover around 200. Leupold's entry level is by far way better than vortex's imo

Agross

WKR
See if you can find an Athlon Midas. You should be able to get close to $200 if you look around.
I have found Athlon ares and Midas on eBay for around 150-160 before. Was very impressed with both for the money.

Last edited:

Stet

FNG
Best I've found in this price range is the Sightron blue sky ii 8x32. They come in right around $200. I have a pair I keep in my truck and I'm never lacking when I take them out. Eye placement is easy and sharpness is great. They have a warm color cast similar to Nikon. The only negative is they are not super bright.

I would grab the scoopx off ebay for $50. They used to be $300 binos before the company went out of business. I picked two up for fun a few months ago and they are great glass for $300 let alone $50

JGRaider

WKR
Best I've found in this price range is the Sightron blue sky ii 8x32. They come in right around $200. I have a pair I keep in my truck and I'm never lacking when I take them out. Eye placement is easy and sharpness is great. They have a warm color cast similar to Nikon. The only negative is they are not super bright.
Good call!

dct73

FNG
The Hawke Endurance ED's if you can stretch the budget a little. They are on sale right now. Call Gr8fuldoug from above. The Athlon Midas G2 goes for about $249 on sale. Used would be even cheaper. Either one should smoke the Crossfires. I have a a pair of Bushnell Legend M 8x42 that are like new I'd be willing to sell for $200.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
If there is a better value in truck binoculars than the old Leupold gold rings I don’t know what it would be. I’d bet lunch there isn’t a sub $400 new pair that can come close. Of course nobody wants vintage-looking grandpa optics, but there are plenty of these around. :)

D4035D06-53B3-4764-A2AE-9B502F4C7378.jpeg

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hawke Endurance ED 8x42 - Black is on sale for only $199.99, reduced from $309.99
  • Extra-low Dispersion glass for optimum clarity
  • Fully multi-coated optics to produce sharp images
  • Focus knob with 1.2 turns — close focus from 6.6ft/2m
  • High resolution phase corrected BAK-4 roof prisms
  • Lightweight rubber coated mid-size top hinge chassis
  • Stay-on lens covers for maximum lens protection
  • Twist-up eye cups with position stops for eye relief

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be surprised if anything could surpass the Diamondbacks in this range, especially with the warranty.

dct73

FNG
For travel use, consider an 8x32. They won't be trying to spot elk at dusk or dawn, so the objective diameter isn't likely to be an issue, and the smaller form factor and lighter weight is a plus. Also, don't forget to check eye relief. If somebody wears glasses it can make all the difference. The Hawke Endurance ED 8x32 on sale for $189.99 is a pretty darn good deal. They are actually what I use for my travel binoculars.

a124

FNG
The Hawke Endurance ED's if you can stretch the budget a little. They are on sale right now. Call Gr8fuldoug from above. The Athlon Midas G2 goes for about $249 on sale. Used would be even cheaper. Either one should smoke the Crossfires. I have a a pair of Bushnell Legend M 8x42 that are like new I'd be willing to sell for $200.
I'd buy your Legend. Wouldn't want to break any rules though as I'm fairly new on the site.

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
It’s the same binocular but rebranded for a few brands , but leupold Yosemite 6x30, Kowa 6x30 a few others have the same Bino, but only about $120 Porro prism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk