Best backpack combination for what I do!!

338edge

Lil-Rokslider
-3-5 day overnighter
-day hunting
-meat hauler
-Canyon rifle carry system
-everything in between

My setup =

-Duplex frame
-Nomad bag
-Sniper gun scabbard by eberlestock attached by alice clips they provide. It does add about 1lb to the system

I tried the mountain rambler great pack but for my big scoped rifle I had a hard time getting it out even w/o a lid. Plus I love the nomad for everything else.

Attachments

• 20150321_190527.jpg
    20150321_190527.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 20150321_190624.jpg
    20150321_190624.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 221

muleman

WKR
Nice combo. Do you find that you are snagging your gun butt a lot. In the pictures it looks like it is riding high.

OP

338edge

Lil-Rokslider
No not for the country I hunt. With that said I could mount the scabbard about 4" lower which I'm going to try soon.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I am really liking my Nomad as well. I put a large KU belt pouch in the center, A GI hydration bag below that and a Back pouch sideways across the bottom. The Back pouch is perfect for my 4 man tipi,Stakes, Bivy and cook kit. I moved my Grab-it above it. I had an old North face pack bag I cut the straps off. It gets sleep system, Clothing, Tipi pole, misc. camp stuff and food. it has exterior pockets and a lid. It fits perfect in the grab-it. Get to camp and it all comes loose and in day hunt mode in seconds literally. It is all topped off with a longhunter lid. If I need more room(I doubt it) I can use a camp bag or my High camp 4800 bag and with option to lose the back pouch.
Kill kit, tarp, jacket etc go in side pockets and ready to move meat. I have a medium belt pocket on the right and Glock 29 on the left of my belt. Great pack

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
Gunbearer is the fastest way to get the rifle out. If climbing I tie it in on the side with a compression strap. If still hunting use the quick release.

I understand the grab it works well... But the original poster has a big canyon rifle. It likely has a 30+ inch barrel with a break and weighs 14 or more pounds. I have a similar rifle and have the nomad as well. I just ordered a rambler to see how it works.

Long story short, I don't plan on carrying my 338 on my shoulder or in a gun bearer and was wondering how easily this was to access vs the Rambler.

Joe

OP

338edge

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice access. With the rambler I had trouble with access. With that said the rambler would be fine with a smaller rifle.

IAHNTR

WKR
I am looking into a setup for this fall and this is kinda what I'm after. Does the meat then go between the frame and scabbard?

OP

338edge

Lil-Rokslider
Answer some questions

Squeekieslayer-yes you can pull the rifle out w/o taking off the pack, you can snug up the wings and still deploy the rifle

IAHNTR: no the meat straps over the scabbard then the nomad compresses everything else.

Answer some questions

Squeekieslayer-yes you can pull the rifle out w/o taking off the pack, you can snug up the wings and still deploy the rifle

IAHNTR: no the meat straps over the scabbard then the nomad compresses everything else.

thanks man. I loved my nomad this year... but my rambler should be here in a few weeks. I will try them both out, but I will keep this eberle scabbard in mind. I am shooting a 338 edge with a 30 in barrel and break, as well as a bipod and a 56mm ATACR. I dont plan on shooting it quick draw style, but it would be nice to not have to take the pack off to get to the rifle

OP

338edge

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds good. This is picture of the same setup except I'm packing the lightweight version of the canyon rifle with a 26" braked barrel with the atacr. Also food for thought on mountain biking with this setup. I take off the sniper scabbard reattach the gun bearer to the center of pack, strap everything down with the wings of the nomad then adjust as needed so the rifle is out of the way of the seat. You couldn't do that with the rambler or the j-34.

View attachment 24226

20150324_120033.jpg

OP

338edge

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. When I do run the gunbearer I use it in the center at the bottom of the pack. I never run my canyon rifle in the gunbearer attached to the waist belt To big heavy and rides right in your face.