Best adhesive for bonding pic rail to receiver?

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Any recommendations on the best adhesives for permanently bonding a picatinny rail to a rifle action? I've seen that Loctite 380 works great but I cant find any locally. I'd guess JB Weld would work fine. Anything else?

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I just did one with JB Weld because that’s what I had at home. First time permanently bonding one so I’m hoping it’ll work.

BBob

WKR
Check Bob Smith Industries, they make a comparable product. I haven't used it but in a thread there's a user that has used it for arrow inserts. Mby it was @Billy Goat ?
^^^As cheap as the Bob Smith stuff is I'll be trying it.

I'll add that Black Max is really good for certain applications. I've kept a bottle around for several decades now. I've used it for arrow inserts for almost as long.

Last edited:
Loctite 380 is the answer. Yes you can use JB weld, and I have a lot, but 380 is the way.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, experience and ways! I only bed the rear support of most of my rails, and I typically use Steel JB Weld, should I just use the LocTite 380 on the front rail mount?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, experience and ways! I only bed the rear support of most of my rails, and I typically use Steel JB Weld, should I just use the LocTite 380 on the front rail mount?

That would work, however both would be better.

Check Bob Smith Industries, they make a comparable product. I haven't used it but in a thread there's a user that has used it for arrow inserts. Mby it was @Billy Goat ?
^^^As cheap as the Bob Smith stuff is I'll be trying it.

I'll add that Black Max is really good for certain applications. I've kept a bottle around for several decades now. I've used it for arrow inserts for almost as long.
Thank you for that comparable product info-

kurtiss00

FNG
Any recommendations on the best adhesives for permanently bonding a picatinny rail to a rifle action? I've seen that Loctite 380 works great but I cant find any locally. I'd guess JB Weld would work fine. Anything else?
I used JB weld, it's held on my Sako A7 for years so far. I think the key is for most products is following directions and good surface prep.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
I bedded a pic rail to a Savage action with JB Weld. About a year later when I needed to remove it to take the barrel off, I removed the screws and pulled on the bonded pic rail and it came off by hand.

I was hoping to need to use a torch and some effort to remove it. This didn't give me much confidence that it was doing anything other than act as a shim for a perfect fit between the rail and action. However I was looking for additional holding strength beyond what four tiny screws can provide.

Based on that experience, when I reinstall the rail I'm going to use Loctite 380.

Last edited:

BDWMT

FNG
JB weld between mating surfaces, blue loctite once the JB cures. I’ve done several with release on the action but don’t anymore. I may swap scopes and rings but the rail never comes off so what’s the point in release. They’ll still come off and clean up. It isnt that difficult on the rare situation.