Best 8x42 for $500?

Blue72

WKR
Looking for a decent binocular for travel. My last one was stolen so I don’t want a very expensive one for my next one

considering

Kowa BDii

Meopta meopro hd

Nikon monarch 7

any opinion on these?

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'll toss in a vote for the Monarch as an option. Don't have Kowa / Meopta binos (but do like a Meopta scope that I own).

I keep a pair of Monarch 5 10s (not even a Monarch 7 as you'd indicated) to toss in the car, under a stroller when walking the kids, or when traveling for non-hunting purposes (when I'd have the Swaros with me). Completely happy with them.

I’d consider the maven b3 8x30. Cheaper and really really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Levi8599

Lil-Rokslider
I have the kowa bd ii on the way based on the recommendation from Doug at cameraland. Should be here in a couple days and can let you know.

Love my Monarch 7, been hunting with them for 6-7 years. Wouldn’t cross my mind to replace them. Good luck, lots of great options.

Detect

WKR
The ones above aren't bad. Meopro > M7 > BDII

However if you're willing to go used and keep watching the classifieds patiently, you can score higher class binos for near $500. I've seen used HGs, Meostars, and Genesis close to that range. There's also new Tract Toric 8x42 in Optics Classifieds now for 500 that punches above its weight class and is slightly better than the three listed above.

Last edited:

KevinMartinez1

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the c3 10x50 maven binos and i love them so far

I just picked up a practically new pair of meopta meostar for $575 in the classifieds. I’m comparing them to my maven B.2s and they are very similar

tracker7

FNG
I have two monarchs and I really like them.

They really dial in and you feel your moving through the woods

i Hunt in pretty heavy brush and they work great

Trial153

WKR
I would up my budget just a bit and grab a demo set of Zeiss conquest HD’s from red hawk rifles for 850

Hoodie

WKR
If you like sharp edges and don't suffer from rolling ball effect, it's the Theron Questa HD-ED and it isn't even close.

It's $399 on Amazon. No warranty however because the company is no longer around. There are a few 8x42 left.

It's probably the best 8x42 you can get for under $1k. It's far better than the Kowa and comparable to the Monarch HG, but it has better CA control and the field flatteners actually work.

It's like a cheap, very effective knock off of an EL.

Last edited:
I would highly encourage you to look at the Leupold Pro Guide HD, and if you are talking about 42mm binos, consider the Athlon Midas G2 (the new black one, and not the older grey one) as well. For subjective reasons I like these two more than the three you listed. The Leupold is in the same price class as the above, and the Midas is priced much lower.

Ordering all the binoculars to compare is a smart decision. Nothing against the other brands. I would buy the Nikon, provided it fits your face well while viewing and is comfortable in your hands.

When I am looking at products with about the same capability and around the same price range, I generally buy what I consider the brand with the best reputation. The Monarchs are a very good set of glass for the price. Nikon is established as a top brand name with an excellent reputation. I know I am going to get a quality product with a Monarch, and there is a certain amount of security with buying a very well established reputable brand.

Another brand you may wish to consider that has not been mentioned;

Bushnell Forge is in the price range you are looking at. I have owned some Bushnell products in the past, never being overly impressed. Not a fan of Bushnell. I looked at a pair of Forges about a week ago. They impressed me. Granted I viewed them under perfect lighting conditions. The glass was bright, clear, sharp, with no fringing. They fit my hands and face well, better than the other brands I tried. The downside is they are a little bigger and heavier than the competition, but appear better protected against damage. A more rugged design which is a plus since you are traveling. Wouldn’t hurt to compare them side by side to the glasses you ordered.

Allbinos is a website based in Europe. They don’t sell anything on the site. No links on their site to purchase optics through them that I saw. They only review optics and may be a helpful resource in making your decision. Check out the rankings pages. Between the different rankings pages (8x42 and 10x42 rankings pages) they have full reviews on the Meopro, Kowa, Monarch 7 and Forge.

OP
Blue72

Blue72

WKR
Ordering all the binoculars to compare is a smart decision. Nothing against the other brands. I would buy the Nikon, provided it fits your face well while viewing and is comfortable in your hands.

When I am looking at products with about the same capability and around the same price range, I generally buy what I consider the brand with the best reputation. The Monarchs are a very good set of glass for the price. Nikon is established as a top brand name with an excellent reputation. I know I am going to get a quality product with a Monarch, and there is a certain amount of security with buying a very well established reputable brand.

Another brand you may wish to consider that has not been mentioned;

Bushnell Forge is in the price range you are looking at. I have owned some Bushnell products in the past, never being overly impressed. Not a fan of Bushnell. I looked at a pair of Forges about a week ago. They impressed me. Granted I viewed them under perfect lighting conditions. The glass was bright, clear, sharp, with no fringing. They fit my hands and face well, better than the other brands I tried. The downside is they are a little bigger and heavier than the competition, but appear better protected against damage. A more rugged design which is a plus since you are traveling. Wouldn’t hurt to compare them side by side to the glasses you ordered.

Allbinos is a website based in Europe. They don’t sell anything on the site. No links on their site to purchase optics through them that I saw. They only review optics and may be a helpful resource in making your decision. Check out the rankings pages. Between the different rankings pages (8x42 and 10x42 rankings pages) they have full reviews on the Meopro, Kowa, Monarch 7 and Forge.

I liked the Nikon a lot. They had decent optics, was the lowest price out of all of them, and compact.

but out of all four binoculars I bought. I fell in love with the Kowa for the ultra wide views, sharpness in the sweet spot, easy viewing comfort, easy focusing, and impressive light transmission when looking at the Milky Way at night