Best 6mm caliber

Several have hinted about this.
6mm/.243” is a caliber. The proper question would be “What is the best 6mm cartridge?”.
Caliber = bore diameter.
Cartridge = bullet diameter + case etc.

I like the .243 Winchester for what I use it for. Mostly predators on windy days. I’d also use it for antelope if I decided to hunt them.

ChrisAU

WKR
Nice. 1,000 rounds ought to last a little while 😉

One whole barrels worth it looks like lol

After spending a week debating on how to build a 6GT I bought a Ruger American Predator in 6CM…ordered a B&C stock and Timney trigger and I’ll have $700 in it without optic. Hope it shoots.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
243. With a fast twist barrel you will get very similar performance to the 6creed. Plus if you get in a pinch every Walmart will have some 243 on the shelf. I’ve been thinking of getting a 243 built with a fast twist to shoot the Berger 108s myself….

243. With a fast twist barrel you will get very similar performance to the 6creed. Plus if you get in a pinch every Walmart will have some 243 on the shelf. I’ve been thinking of getting a 243 built with a fast twist to shoot the Berger 108s myself….

The problem is .243 has been unobtanium for over a year, and 6 creed is almost always on the shelf.

The problem is .243 has been unobtanium for over a year, and 6 creed is almost always on the shelf.
That’s a bummer. It’s good to handload and buy components when they are readily available. Hopefully they’ll be readily available again soon. My stocks are getting a little thin 😢

That’s a bummer. It’s good to handload and buy components when they are readily available. Hopefully they’ll be readily available again soon. My stocks are getting a little thin 😢

It sure is. I picked up a dirt cheap 700 in .243 with plans of a custom build in December 2020. I managed to find all of 4 boxes of federal blue box since. I was going to shoot it until I get around to the build, but that plan fell apart fast. Everything else has been trickling in, so hopefully we see some more soon.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I have noticed that actually. but perhaps that is a sign of popularity of the 243 and the slow production of ammo across all calibers. Maybe they got bought up too fast. I actually like the 6creed as a concept. I just love the classic old calibers with help of modern twist rates and bullets. I think the 6creed will probably stick around for the long term. But I'm not sure if it will ever be quite as popular at the 243. If i wanted to shoot the heavy bullets in a factory rifle I would for sure get the creed.

Legend

WKR
One whole barrels worth it looks like lol

After spending a week debating on how to build a 6GT I bought a Ruger American Predator in 6CM…ordered a B&C stock and Timney trigger and I’ll have $700 in it without optic. Hope it shoots.
Sounds like a good deal. How does it shoot? I like this option for my 12 year old.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
I have all my components gathered for my next build, just trying to decide the best 6mm SA set up to go with. Something that has head stamped brass is a plus as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would say 6mm Creed for a short action with a magazine.
I like the 6mm-284, but that doesn't fit your parameters.

6-284 at 400 yards with AB's (Just a 3-shot group, when confirming my drops).
d24tdnUl.jpg

sPZYQj6l.jpg

Reactions: B23