Best 6mm caliber

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll echo 6 Creedmoor. Ammo/bullets/brass are still pretty available compared to many others. For now…hopefully that lasts a little while longer, because I really enjoy shooting mine!

Am going to be selling this 6 Creedmoor barrel soon.

Bartlein 3B, 5R cut, stainless, 1:8 twist, 23", 5/8x24 muzzle thread, Cerakote paint FDE. Threaded for Defiance action. Chambered by Mark Gordon @ Short Action Customs.
213 round count, will guarantee accuracy. Shoots 5 centers under a dime @100y, easy and repeatable. Will include 240 count identical loaded rounds of Berger 108 Elite Hunter, 200 deprimed fired brass, load specs, RCBS die set. Loves H4350 and seating at Saami spec length so would likely do well with 100+ grain factory ammo.

No brainer if you want a proven barrel with a healthy stash of customized ammo, so no risk or load development fits or expense. Please PM if interested.

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 8.45.20 PM.png
Edit to answer OP's question:
  • 6 Creedmoor is by far the smartest decision. It does it all so easily. Puzzles me why anyone would want a 6.5 when there's a 6 version that dopes and kills flatter and faster. ???:unsure:
  • Even so, my 240W on a 700 action is my favorite. But that's less objective, more preference.:)

Last edited:
I've shot a number of 6mms, from factory offerings to wildcats. The 6cm checks a lot of boxes with the factory offerings.

mapticon

FNG
Spent an inordinate amount of time dorking out on 6mm options. 6mm CM does it indeed appear to check off a lot of boxes. Thought I'd never be able to find a bolt gun for less than 1K, but found a ruger american online tonight for less than $600. Looking forward to getting down with this 6.

Last edited:
I have all my components gathered for my next build, just trying to decide the best 6mm SA set up to go with. Something that has head stamped brass is a plus as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where do you want to be for velocity/barrel life? My .243 is getting a 6GT barrel next. Factory ammo (albeit from only one source) with enough speed, but should be noticeably better barrel life.

If there wasn’t a factory ammo option for GT, I would’ve went with the creed.

6mmDasher is no slouch. Look at the accomplishments it has done. You can either purchase alpha brass or fire form your own from lapua or norm brass if you don’t mind and has good barrel life. I have 4 of them. Accomplished a lot with them and now a Pro shooter friend of mine is now using one and loves it.

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta echo what this guy says. The Dasher will ruin all your other cartridges with how easy it is to load. 32-33 gr of varget and a 105 or 109 berger will shoot bug holes..

gbflyer

WKR
No headstamped brass, so that’s a -1. Reload only.

6x45. Tons of cheap brass (.223), makes a 85gr bullet go 2800 on 26-27gr of powder. Barrel life is not an issue. No recoil, lots of fun.

I like 6mm BR variant cartridges. At the end of the day they all do the same thing. You can run a 6 creed fast and burn out our barrel quicker or back it down to 2800 where the BR typically runs and extend your life. But at the end of the day I prefer my 6bra as it offers everything I want and I run it in a wide node at ~2,800 and I get great brass a barrel life. Why a BRA over a BR or Dasher, because that is what I could find brass for when building it (all really one of the same).

wyosam

WKR
By far the best (and only) 6mm caliber is .243 Lots of cartridge options. But the good news is that at least you have the bore size narrowed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjjones7

FNG
I’m thinking of taking a 6.5 prc and necking it to 6mm. Might not give you the barrel life you want and no headstamped brass but with lapua prc brass you could send some 108’s

bradb

WKR
Alex Wheeler shot a 2 group agg(10 shots) with a 6bra(edit it was not the dasher-which makes available brass out on this one-sorry) of 1.6xx"(can't remember exact) last weekend with a 6 dasher at 1000. Sure is 2 pretty targets. Doesn't mean its the best or there is a best. Take any of the choices given, pick the one you like best and it will be good. Of course it can depend on what your intended uses are

Last edited:
Alex Wheeler shot a 2 group agg(10 shots) with a dasher of 1.6xx"(can't remember exact) last weekend with a 6 dasher at 1000. Sure is 2 pretty targets. Doesn't mean its the best or there is a best. Take any of the choices given, pick the one you like best and it will be good. Of course it can depend on what your intended uses are
I have photos of 5 shot groups that my son shot at 1000 yds with a dasher at about a inch testing. They do shoot well.BC5F73BD-8570-41D5-A81E-C23FC9CC1A46.jpeg

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
Curious why 243 win is absent? My daughter's 700 bdl is a shooter and death ray to deer and speed goats.