Best 6mm caliber

JCA30-378

FNG
I have all my components gathered for my next build, just trying to decide the best 6mm SA set up to go with. Something that has head stamped brass is a plus as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

JCA30-378

FNG
Are you shooting factory or hand loads?

Since you said alpha, i think you should step up to the 6.5 Epstein didn't kill himself.

I have no useful input but it's nice that alpha is making so many cool 6mm brass options like 6bra, 6 dasher, 6xc (LRP and SRP).

Last edited:
OP
J

JCA30-378

FNG
I also considered the 6.5SST. To be honest I actually want to go with something I can get brass and projectiles for, it’s a struggle to find anything right now and starting out with a new caliber makes it even tougher. I have plenty of powder and primers just finding the brass and quality bullets will be the struggle.

WCB

WKR
IDK...I have a 6mm rem and like it because no one else really has one and people kind of look at you like you have what? I'm not really into reloading so don't know if making a custom gun you could squeeze anything different out of it than is available in factory ammo.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I love my 6 creed, shooting 105 VLD right at 3k fps and it's awesome to shoot. I set it up for my niece the last two years and she's killed a few does and a spike bull with it.

Since you said alpha, i think you should step up to the 6.5 Epstein didn't kill himself.
I'm starting the process on a 25 creed and I will now be on the waiting list for this brass. Tyfys.

OP
J

JCA30-378

FNG
WCB, my son shoots a 6mm Remington and it it super deadly. That’s what has me leaning towards the 6mm cartridge to hunt and shoot long range with. I was highly considering a 6mm creedmoor but was hoping to see some other suggestions on here.

Reactions: WCB

Seeknelk

WKR
In a short action, the Creed case works very well. Piles of top end brass for it. People love to give the CM grief. It's a brass case without feelers. It don't care 🤣.
Also, the 6 XC, 6x47 , 6 Bra, 6 Dasher, 6 Gay Tiger, all have little niches. And great brass from alpha and others.
Higher velocity:
243, 6 Creed, 6 XC
Mid to lower velocity( often with wide ,super tuneable nodes) easier on barrels obviously.
6 x 47, 6 Dasher, 6 GT, 6 BRa and plain BR.
Whatever you go with, Just buy a few hundred brass first and you don't have to worry about ammo for the life of the barrel.

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
I’m considering a 6 Creed just because of all the factory ammo around here. Even during the worst of the shortage it never ran dry.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have all my components gathered for my next build, just trying to decide the best 6mm SA set up to go with. Something that has head stamped brass is a plus as well.

There isn’t a “best”, unless factory ammo matters. Then it’s 6 CM.

The 243, 6CM, 6x47, amd 6XC are all one for one in function and MV. A good barrel, chambered correctly, in a sound rifle will shoot great with any of them. Logistically the 6CM is unmatched, the 6XC is 6BR level of friendly to load- but they are all easy.

The 6 BR derivatives- 6BR, Dasher, BRX, etc. are great, yet none have ready factory ammo available except the BR has Norma ammo if you can find it. They are easy to load, but MV will be lower than the 243 group.

6 Creedmoor for the win.

ID_Matt

WKR
Depends on the use... I burnt a barrel of 6 creed with heavy use. Performance was great - 3050 FPS with 109's in a 26" barrel. Gun was not terribly picky but did need to revisit load every once in a while. Have since switched to 6 dasher w/ alpha brass. 105's at 2930. So far it has been unbelievable in terms of consistency. It'll shoot just about anything that you put in it with extremely low velocity spreads..... this is all PRS gun talk though. For a hunting rig, I think you have a few needs to decide on first. Factory ammo? Velocity or consistency? Also, what bullet do you want to run? Powder? Magazines?

OP
J

JCA30-378

FNG
Hamilton, it will be primarily be used for hunting but also a gun to practice with so I am not always shooting my magnums to save barrel life. I will be reloading, just need something that I can actually find brass for.