Best 500 dollar binoculars

So I am in the market for binos. I am not looking to break the bank right now. Just isn’t in the cards to spend 1000 plus on good glass . Mostly east coast deer stand hunting / turkey hunting. Maybe a trip out west in near future.

I am not looking to spend more then 500. I have been doing a lot of reasearch and there are pros and cons to all the ones in the running.

I am set on 10x42. Here’s the ones I constantly see, help me decide.

vortex vipers
Maven c1s
Leopold bx4
Meopta Meopro

These 4 seem to constantly come up. What’s your choice ?

We have some battles here that are waged. My vote goes C1. Our dear (deer) friend @Newtosavage sleeps with his BX4 at night. Through out the Vortex option and make your selection. There isn’t a bad option and you should be content longterm unless you fall into the cult of Swaro, which can be tempting to many guys.

I was in a similar situation about a year ago. I would recommend getting your hands on as many of those models as you can and see what looks best to your eyes. I got the Meopros and the c1s and tested them side by side. They were pretty close on clarity as far as I could tell, maybe just a slight edge to the Meoptas. The Mavens just didn't seem to fit my narrow face as well as the Meopros, so I went with them. I suggest dealing with Doug a Cameraland, good prices and great to deal with.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Very timely thread for me. I literally just ordered a pair of Maven C1 in 10x42 this evening, then came across a thread on this forum comparing the Maven C1's and the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD. In the thread a member has posted this link for a great deal on the BX-4's. Got the quote emailed to me and was surprised by the price, so I ordered the BX-4's and cancelled the order for the C1's.

Here's the link: https://lockedloaded.com/product/le...hd-10x-42mm-326-ft-@-1000-yds-fov-shadow-gray

The Mavens get rave reviews for being an amazing binocular in their price point and even when compared to binoculars that cost twice as much. The BX-4's also get rave reviews. If you do a search you'll find fans of both and pros and cons to both. Some say there's a narrower field of view with the BX-4's. Others don't like the eye cups on the C1's. I ended up going with the BX-4's because from the reading I've done it seems like they're a little brighter than the C1's in low light conditions, and the fit and finish is a bit nicer on the BX-4's, but I haven't looked through either of these to make my own conclusion, so take all this with a grain of salt. If I ended up paying full retail for the BX-4's, which was $150 more than the Mavens I probably would have just stuck with the Mavens. Click that link and it may make your choice a little easier. (FWIW I have zero affiliation with the vendor).

Here's a link to a thread comparing the C1's and BX-4's here on Rokslide: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/maven-c1-vs-leupold-bx-4-10x42.152657/page-4

I think many of us get really hung up on the small details that may not really matter that much in the real world, at least for me. I bet I'd be super happy with either pair and would grown to like them both. I try not to get too caught up. Gear is so advanced and good these days if I go out and start hunting it's not the gear's fault if I dont accomplish what I set out to do.

Last edited:
Very timely thread for me. I literally just ordered a pair of Maven C1 in 10x42 this evening, then came across a thread on this forum comparing the Maven C1's and the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD. In the thread a member has posted this link for a great deal on the BX-4's. Got the quote emailed to me and was surprised by the price, so I ordered the BX-4's and cancelled the order for the C1's.

Here's the link: https://lockedloaded.com/product/le...hd-10x-42mm-326-ft-@-1000-yds-fov-shadow-gray

The Mavens get rave reviews for being an amazing binocular in their price point and even when compared to binoculars that cost twice as much. The BX-4's also get rave reviews. If you do a search you'll find fans of both and pros and cons to both. Some say there's a narrower field of view with the BX-4's. Others don't like the eye cups on the C1's. I ended up going with the BX-4's because from the reading I've done it seems like they're a little brighter than the C1's in low light conditions, and the fit and finish is a bit nicer on the BX-4's, but I haven't looked through either of these to make my own conclusion, so take all this with a grain of salt. If I ended up paying full retail for the BX-4's, which was $150 more than the Mavens I probably would have just stuck with the Mavens. Click that link and it may make your choice a little easier. (FWIW I have zero affiliation with the vendor).

Here's a link to a thread comparing the C1's and BX-4's here on Rokslide: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/maven-c1-vs-leupold-bx-4-10x42.152657/page-4

I think many of us get really hung up on the small details that may not really matter that much in the real world, at least for me. I bet I'd be super happy with either pair and would grown to like them both. I try not to get too caught up. Gear is so advanced and good these days if I go out and start hunting it's not the gear's fault if I dont accomplish what I set out to do.

Low light on the C1s is awesome. If you’re going to knock them, get with Savage and mention eye cups and field of view, neither of which are issues to me. I agree with your point that either would be more than needed to have great hunts.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Low light on the C1s is awesome. If you’re going to knock them, get with Savage and mention eye cups and field of view, neither of which are issues to me. I agree with your point that either would be more than needed to have great hunts.

I'm just going on what I've read, not from actually experience. And I did mention the decreased field of view with the BX-4's. Pros and cons to both apparently. Cons for one person may be pros or insignificant for the next, just like you acknowledged. I'm just trying to help the OP since I literally just went through the exact same thing. Maybe it will be helpful. Maybe the reasons I went with one over the other may be dealbreakers for him/her, but still help them decide.

FWIW, the BX-4s and C1's ended up being almost the same price (less than an $8 difference).

Last edited:
I’ll be that guy.... At $500 you’re so close to used meostar/euros... sell some crap and if you’re patient I’ve seen 10x42 in the $650 range. Some of the best glass made and you’ll never need to upgrade.

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Don't forget the Athlon Optics Cronus 10x42 Binocular which we have on sale for only $319.99,m reduced from $499.99. GREAT binocular
  • E2ES System- Edge 2 Edge Sharpness system: E2ES System is a field flattening system that produces sharper, clearer images all the way from one lens edge to the other
  • ED Glass- High definition glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating- Enhanced Spectral Prism Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%
  • XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
  • BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Locking Diopter: Locking Diopter keeps the diopter adjustment knob from accidentally moving from the optimal setting
  • Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
  • Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
  • Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Argon Purged: Argon purging gives you better waterproofing and thermal stability

OP
F
Hey @gr8fuldoug , do you stock all these binos?? I just checked out the website and I live 8 minutes from your store.. Crazy

but I guess you are closed right now right

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We do, however, you are correct. Our showroom is closed. We are doing curbside delivery if you want to stop by to pick one up

I would go Meopro or BX-4 from your list. If you are able to wait it out and spend a little more. The Mostar/Cabelas Euro are excellent and have seen a few in the 650 range. Also the Zeiss Conquest is fantastic and have sold used as low 550ish

Fatcamp

WKR
I’ll be that guy.... At $500 you’re so close to used meostar/euros... sell some crap and if you’re patient I’ve seen 10x42 in the $650 range. Some of the best glass made and you’ll never need to upgrade.

This. All day.

My Meostar 8X42 were $650 and looked unused. So nice.

$500 + sell your blood. Facebook marketplace some crap you don't need or use. You are on the money for used meopta meostar hds. Slip a couple of the wife's Vera Bradley handbags she forgot she had on there and you are in swaro slc hds . It's all about buying good glass up front and not settling on cheaper stuff. Find a way.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
You can always get caught up in thinking, "if I spend "x" amount more I can get these", then if you sent "x" amount more than that you can get "these", and then keep doing it until you're double or triple your original budget. Seems like you get a lot for your money if you spend $350-$375 on a pair of mavin C1's or Leupold BX-4's. Sure, spend a couple hundred more and you'll have an even nicer pair. Spend a few hundred more than that and guess what? An even nicer pair! Seems like more than a few people are happy with both of those at that price point, and the money you saved you can buy a decent range finder. I'd just be careful about thinking you have to spend a bunch more than you want because you think everything less than what others suggest is inferior. I'm new around here, but seems like there are a lot of brand whores and people that just have to have the absolute best, newest and/or most expensive and anything else just isn't worth it. Awesome if you have the expendable income, but if you're on a budget seems like there are plenty of people having success with middle of the road stuff that is proven to deliver and perform.