Best 15 degree down bag

The lightest bag available that is rated into the teens is the Feathered Friends Tanager 19f 950 fill down. It’s a hoodless/zipperless bag. Far warmer than an equivalent quilt in my experience as there are zero drafts that can get in. It weighs 19 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The lightest bag available that is rated into the teens is the Feathered Friends Tanager 19f 950 fill down. It’s a hoodless/zipperless bag. Far warmer than an equivalent quilt in my experience as there are zero drafts that can get in. It weighs 19 oz.

Do you wear a hood thing or just a beanie when sleeping? Or does it not matter much? I havnt had a hoodless bag in many many years.

Beanie if it’s 40’s. If it’s below that, I have a super light, but very warm, apex synthetic ‘hoodlum’ from Enlightened equipment. It weighs about 2.5 oz I think. Not only is it great for use with this bag or a quilt, you can continue wearing it around camp once you get up. Super versatile. I also have a pair of apex booties from them that weigh under 2 oz that are for use only in the shelter and bag. No reinforcements on the bottom. They keep your feet extra toasty in cold temps.

OP
S

sivart

WKR
Beanie if it’s 40’s. If it’s below that, I have a super light, but very warm, apex synthetic ‘hoodlum’ from Enlightened equipment. It weighs about 2.5 oz I think. Not only is it great for use with this bag or a quilt, you can continue wearing it around camp once you get up. Super versatile. I also have a pair of apex booties from them that weigh under 2 oz that are for use only in the shelter and bag. No reinforcements on the bottom. They keep your feet extra toasty in cold temps.

Without the zipper, does it suck when you have warm temps at night, with no way to vent the bag?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used sleeping bags for decades, then quilts for about 15 years and now using "hybrid bags

My 15 degree bag is a Feathered Friends Flicker 20 w/ 2 ounces of overfill; the Flicker offers a full zip that allows it to be used as a full quilt, quilt with a footbox or as a sleeping bag. I have a 30 as well (no overfill) for "summer"

https://featheredfriends.com/collec...ed-friends-flicker-ul-down-quilt-sleeping-bag

Without the zipper, does it suck when you have warm temps at night, with no way to vent the bag?
I'm not using the bag mid summer, only starting in August in the mountains, where its normally low 40's and below. No issue with being too warm. It easily pushes down if you do want to vent more. Its not meant to be a versatile sleeping bag, its a specialized bag that does very well at what its intended to do. A Flicker would be a better choice for someone who wants more venting options.

Jimss

WKR
I always find that it's possible to shed layers to stay cooler but is a bummer if you are cold at night. It's nice to have the option of unzipping or sleeping on top of your bag if it's too warm. Sleep is that important! Layering in bed is your best buddy if you want to travel light. Everyone is a little different. I actually use a 0 degree bag that I can unzip for ventilation when warm and close up completely when cold.

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with the Marmot Banthemweight 15 degree bag? It’s a down bag and weights less than the Stone Glacier. I welcome input from anyone who has used it, thanks!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
No experience w/ that particular Marmot, but when comparing bags I really want to know all the dimensions (length and shoulder/hip/foot width) and even more importantly the amount and rating of the down fill.

Weight is obviously important for a backpacking bag, but you want to make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider
No experience w/ that particular Marmot, but when comparing bags I really want to know all the dimensions (length and shoulder/hip/foot width) and even more importantly the amount and rating of the down fill.

Weight is obviously important for a backpacking bag, but you want to make sure you're comparing apples to apples.
Good point, this bag is a 900+ fill of treated down. Baffles inside to reduce down shifting around.
45in at footbox
54in at hip
60in at shoulder
1lb 8oz total weight

Those were key stats I found relevant. My opinion looking at the stats is that this should be an equivalent bag to the SG but lighter. I know that is really hard to say without experience using the bad. The treatment could suck and wet out easy, bad could not live up to its rating etc

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider
Fill weight between the two?
I haven’t been able to find that info, part of why I am asking for experience. My assumption is that they are saving weight from less of a zipper but they are also saving weight from less fill and off setting with a better fill ‘power’. Just my assumption.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
email Marmot to get the fill weight, sad it isn't on there- one of the most important specs

I'm sure there is some savings w/ the zipper, but you HAVE to know the fill weight to compare the two bags

900 fill will have minor weight savings vs 850, but not much.

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider
email Marmot to get the fill weight, sad it isn't on there- one of the most important specs

I'm sure there is some savings w/ the zipper, but you HAVE to know the fill weight to compare the two bags

900 fill will have minor weight savings vs 850, but not much.
Thanks for the tip, I will do that and follow up with you.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Good point, this bag is a 900+ fill of treated down. Baffles inside to reduce down shifting around.
45in at footbox
54in at hip
60in at shoulder
1lb 8oz total weight

Those were key stats I found relevant. My opinion looking at the stats is that this should be an equivalent bag to the SG but lighter. I know that is really hard to say without experience using the bad. The treatment could suck and wet out easy, bad could not live up to its rating etc
That's a very slim cut bag with those specs. Foot box is fairly roomy, but 60" at the shoulders is going to be tight

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk