Best 15 degree down bag

You owe it to yourself to look at the Peax Equipment Solace 15. Can turn into a quilt, 850+ fill hydrophobic down, arm ports, center trizip. It's a nice bag.

pirogue

WKR
Don’t forget, for the same temperature rating, a 900 Ct down will compress smaller than an 850 Ct down bag, in addition to being lighter.

Tahoe1305

WKR
sounds like the OP is a bit taller. But for any of the slightly shorter folks out their who can hang up their pride card…..

Get creative with appropriately colored female long bags.

I’m 5’10 and snagged a Sea to Summit Flame 15 a while back for a good price.

It’s 2lbs 3oz (on my scale). 25oz of 850+ down which compares to a 6’6” SG 15 deg (have to imagine those extra 8” account for a chunk of that down too). In reality it’s closer in spec to a SG 0 deg only lighter total weight.

Plus women’s bags often use comfort vs limit like men’s bags.

All that to say I snagged a 2lb, shorter bag that specs close to a 0 deg and has been great. My pride is still in tact ;).

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Women's bags have to have more down to reach their comfort level; my wife's 15 degree bag blows mine away when laid side by side- obviously more loft.

If the cut/length works nothing wrong with a women's bag at all.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Comfort limits are the temps that an average female can sleep comfortably. Limit temps are the temps the average male can sleep comfortably. Extreme temps are the temps that the average male in the fetal position can maintain body temp without shivering, but sleep probably ain't happening. If you sleep cold, use the comfort ratings. If you sleep normal, or even warm, use the limit ratings. That's how the industry uses those ratings.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’d suggest anything from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends, I’ve also had great luck with the Stone Glacier bag. I think the WM Versalite is the bag to rule them all though. More loft and fill than the Badger I believe.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Sonic just released a new bag right in that temp range. 2.5lbs and not silly $$.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’d suggest anything from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends, I’ve also had great luck with the Stone Glacier bag. I think the WM Versalite is the bag to rule them all though. More loft and fill than the Badger I believe.
Tighter cut on the Versalite though

2-Stix

WKR
I ran a Marmot Helium for 15 years backpacking and mountaineering.

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Tighter cut on the Versalite though

True it is slightly tighter, I believe 2 inches, but it could be better/another option for OP who is looking to be under 2lbs.

Beat option for ultimate weight savings and still having the warmth would be going with a 10* quilt IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you say that? Do you have experience with the bag? Welcome the feedback you have on it.
No, no experience. This was highly debated on another thread. The main issues is its $650. That’s in the price range of the American made Western mountaineering and feathered friends. I’m sure the bag is warm and good I just can’t justify spending that much money for something made in China. I just think that bag should be at a better price point, and it would be much more well received in the Hunting community. Ire got some cool features. Also several of us posted on peaks with legit questions about the bag and they deleted our comments.

Last edited:
Do the arm holes seal up or what keeps the cold draft from getting in?
The exterior fabric of the bag laps over the arm holes. I was sceptical that there wasn't a closure but I saw some infrared video of the arm ports. No change in heat loss from that area. Pretty impressed.
It really improves being able to do tasks in the tent while still in the bag.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Why do you say that? Do you have experience with the bag? Welcome the feedback you have on it.
Peax also had the nerve to say that a comparable bag made in the US would cost $2k. They deleted comments when people pointed out that WM and FF have been making bags in the US for decades and in a lot of cases are cheaper than the Chinese made Peax.