Berger Long Range Hybrid Target Terminal performance

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at using the 153.5s out of a 6.5 PRC. I don’t know anybody personally who has used them hunting. If you’ve used any of the Berger LRHTs in any cartridge or weight I’m curious what terminal results were like on critters! Cheers!

I have shot a few animals with the 215gr target hybrid out of a 300 RUM, MV 3200 FPS. They were devastating down right there type hits on deer and antelope. Didn't get a proper exit wound most of time except at longer ranges. I wouldn't use them on elk if there was a possibility of a close range shot. They do fly amazing and are super easy to reload, no issues with seating depth adjustments.

Djacker

WKR
I shoot target hybrids in all my hunting rifles. 6.5 creedmoor, 7 saum and a 300 win. I've shot everything from antelope-moose. Ranges from 10 yards- 986 yards. The results were all the same, dead animals right where they stood. Make proper shot placement and your good to go.

OP
jonnyviceroy

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot a few animals with the 215gr target hybrid out of a 300 RUM, MV 3200 FPS. They were devastating down right there type hits on deer and antelope. Didn't get a proper exit wound most of time except at longer ranges. I wouldn't use them on elk if there was a possibility of a close range shot. They do fly amazing and are super easy to reload, no issues with seating depth adjustments.
I’ve had really good luck with the same 215s in my 300 prc. I know the long range versions are a bit more pointed and haven’t heard how that changes things. I’m sure they’ll probably do just fine. But you are right that 215 is an awesome bullet!

The LRHT have a pointed tip, little different than the regular hybrid target.

I shot somewhere around 12 animals with the 135gr LRHT from my 25 creedmoor. Lowest impact velocity was around 2300fps IIRC. They performed well, wish I would have done more necropsies. I did clear out/slightly drill the tips to make sure they were all open. At the lower end of that velocity I had more exits and less dramatic Berger performance. The jackets I believe are thicker as well…personally I’d stick to 2200fps impact minimum unless you can hit bone to help with bullet upset. Most of the kills were above 2400 and they were dramatic. I prefer hornady now but unless you are really pushing the limits distance wise, they will probably kill stuff fine.

OP
jonnyviceroy

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
The LRHT have a pointed tip, little different than the regular hybrid target.

I shot somewhere around 12 animals with the 135gr LRHT from my 25 creedmoor. Lowest impact velocity was around 2300fps IIRC. They performed well, wish I would have done more necropsies. I did clear out/slightly drill the tips to make sure they were all open. At the lower end of that velocity I had more exits and less dramatic Berger performance. The jackets I believe are thicker as well…personally I’d stick to 2200fps impact minimum unless you can hit bone to help with bullet upset. Most of the kills were above 2400 and they were dramatic. I prefer hornady now but unless you are really pushing the limits distance wise, they will probably kill stuff fine.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Makes sense. Hard to pass by a very well proven 147 eldm. Thanks man!

Not a large sample size but 2 mule deer with a 300wm 210 hybrid target, both at 500 yards, one shot kills. On was top of lungs, rib on entrance golf ball exit did not take a step. Other was rib on entrance shoulder on exit about the size of a softball. 1 blacktail, 350 yards, 7 SAUM 180 hybrid target. Rib on both sides, had a legitimate 8 inch diameter exit, all lungs and guts were hanging out of the exit. Went 50 yards. I wouldn’t shoulder shoot anything you want to eat.

Conrad

FNG
Have read through most of the other LRHT on game threads. Reviving this for the upcoming 2024 season. Anyone taking LRHT's to the field?

Have read through most of the other LRHT on game threads. Reviving this for the upcoming 2024 season. Anyone taking LRHT's to the field?

I’m planning to try the 144 LRHTs in my wife’s 6.5x47 Lapua (2800fps) and in my 260AI (3040fps).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve moved on to hornady ELD. I decided I prefer the more instant opening vs the long neck length on the Berger’s.

OP
jonnyviceroy

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve moved on to hornady ELD. I decided I prefer the more instant opening vs the long neck length on the Berger’s.
I too settled on just using the 147s for my 6.5 prc. Still rocking the regular hybrid target 215 out of my 300 though and loving it. I did have a friend kill a muley with a creed with one of the 144 LRHT at 430 yds and it was dead on its feet. Still don’t know of anyone who has killed with the 153.5 version I was originally interested in though.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
215 hybrid out of a win mag at 80ish yard left a golf ball hole and and trail of heart and lungs for about 50/60 yards.

It was a Nevada hunt expecting 300 yards min distance. Another hunter bumped a muley and it closed from 1k to 80 then turned to cross a ditch and I shot.

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
190 hybrids out of my 28 Nosler will be going on a rut deer hunt this fall. So far have taken 2 elk and a deer with them, a cow at 285 yards tipped over, bull at 310 took 4 steps, buck at 210 tipped over. I'm thinking they'll do the job just fine again

sveltri

WKR
I shot 1 elk with the 153.5 no pics to offer but the elk went 40ish yards and died. I think there are better bullets but wouldn't hesitate to try that one again.

I’ve used the 195 in my 28 Nosler (extreme long range hunter is what I think they call it), and the 105 hybrid target in my 6bra. I’ve shot a bunch of whitetail with the 105 and it smacks. Grafted in Texas most of my shots are only 100 yards or so, so I’m not worried about losing energy.