Berger Long Range Hybrid Target Terminal performance

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at using the 153.5s out of a 6.5 PRC. I don’t know anybody personally who has used them hunting. If you’ve used any of the Berger LRHTs in any cartridge or weight I’m curious what terminal results were like on critters! Cheers!

I have shot a few animals with the 215gr target hybrid out of a 300 RUM, MV 3200 FPS. They were devastating down right there type hits on deer and antelope. Didn't get a proper exit wound most of time except at longer ranges. I wouldn't use them on elk if there was a possibility of a close range shot. They do fly amazing and are super easy to reload, no issues with seating depth adjustments.

Djacker

WKR
I shoot target hybrids in all my hunting rifles. 6.5 creedmoor, 7 saum and a 300 win. I've shot everything from antelope-moose. Ranges from 10 yards- 986 yards. The results were all the same, dead animals right where they stood. Make proper shot placement and your good to go.

OP
jonnyviceroy

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot a few animals with the 215gr target hybrid out of a 300 RUM, MV 3200 FPS. They were devastating down right there type hits on deer and antelope. Didn't get a proper exit wound most of time except at longer ranges. I wouldn't use them on elk if there was a possibility of a close range shot. They do fly amazing and are super easy to reload, no issues with seating depth adjustments.
I’ve had really good luck with the same 215s in my 300 prc. I know the long range versions are a bit more pointed and haven’t heard how that changes things. I’m sure they’ll probably do just fine. But you are right that 215 is an awesome bullet!

The LRHT have a pointed tip, little different than the regular hybrid target.

I shot somewhere around 12 animals with the 135gr LRHT from my 25 creedmoor. Lowest impact velocity was around 2300fps IIRC. They performed well, wish I would have done more necropsies. I did clear out/slightly drill the tips to make sure they were all open. At the lower end of that velocity I had more exits and less dramatic Berger performance. The jackets I believe are thicker as well…personally I’d stick to 2200fps impact minimum unless you can hit bone to help with bullet upset. Most of the kills were above 2400 and they were dramatic. I prefer hornady now but unless you are really pushing the limits distance wise, they will probably kill stuff fine.

OP
jonnyviceroy

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
The LRHT have a pointed tip, little different than the regular hybrid target.

I shot somewhere around 12 animals with the 135gr LRHT from my 25 creedmoor. Lowest impact velocity was around 2300fps IIRC. They performed well, wish I would have done more necropsies. I did clear out/slightly drill the tips to make sure they were all open. At the lower end of that velocity I had more exits and less dramatic Berger performance. The jackets I believe are thicker as well…personally I’d stick to 2200fps impact minimum unless you can hit bone to help with bullet upset. Most of the kills were above 2400 and they were dramatic. I prefer hornady now but unless you are really pushing the limits distance wise, they will probably kill stuff fine.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Makes sense. Hard to pass by a very well proven 147 eldm. Thanks man!

Not a large sample size but 2 mule deer with a 300wm 210 hybrid target, both at 500 yards, one shot kills. On was top of lungs, rib on entrance golf ball exit did not take a step. Other was rib on entrance shoulder on exit about the size of a softball. 1 blacktail, 350 yards, 7 SAUM 180 hybrid target. Rib on both sides, had a legitimate 8 inch diameter exit, all lungs and guts were hanging out of the exit. Went 50 yards. I wouldn’t shoulder shoot anything you want to eat.