Benchmade Meatcrafter

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with the production version of the Benchmade Meatcrafter? I had planned to order one in November and found them out of stock everywhere. Mine would probably see more kitchen duty than field duty.

If you can find one in stock and don't mind the price you can't really go wrong. Anything Benchmade is usually a solid product and this is no exception. Would make a pretty good kitchen knife again if you dont mind the price for it, I cant complain about mine and it sees kitchen and a good bit of field use

I am a bit of a Rinella fan boy and tried to pull the trigger on one but couldn’t find one in stock. I just Picked up a couple of more fibrox victorinix boning knives to add to my butcher set and I feel like that scratched my itch for now. I have no doubt the meatcrafter is a better blade but I am having a hard time believing it is 4-5x better for the difference in price. Part of me still wants one though.

Reactions: CCH
I have one...bought it in August and took it to Alaska in Sept. Used it for trimming and de-boning meat. Excellent blade for that job. Holds an edge very well and touches up easily for me. The grip is superb, as I happen to love the grippy synthetics all day long over hard grips. It's a damned good utility knife. The blade is noticeably stiffer than most true boning/trimming knives, but still has flex. I don't recommend using it for separating bony joints unless you can visualize the cutting path. Blind cutting and prying could potentially result in tip damage. The sheath is a hands-down winner all the way...light, clean, snug and protective.

The meateater version (different steel) was absolutely amazing on moose. Did an entire moose with in touch up in the middle. The production model should be good maybe not a durable.

I use mine all the time I like the production version , you can hit it on a steel a couple times and it's right back to work. I use it in the kitchen as well as butchering. Great knife!!

Anybody use it for filleting salmon or steelhead?

I have the rinella version and did about 20 steelhead with it this fall….it’s nice for the task and holds and edge but not as good as a more flexible/typical fillet knife….and it shouldn’t be bc it’s not designed for that filleting, it’s designed for meat trimming/deboning/processing. Still works well just not as well as a knife designed for the task of filleting. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the rinella version and did about 20 steelhead with it this fall….it’s nice for the task and holds and edge but not as good as a more flexible/typical fillet knife….and it shouldn’t be bc it’s not designed for that filleting, it’s designed for meat trimming/deboning/processing. Still works well just not as well as a knife designed for the task of filleting. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup it does thank you! Surprised Benchmade hasn’t come out with a true fillet knife yet.

svivian

WKR
Bringing this back to the top as I was just at Sportsmans looking for a fillet knife.

I noticed in the case they had two that were green handled and a carbon fiber one with SV45 steel. I liked the amount of flex it had.

However in their website they only list 154cm

Any one that can chime in on which would be more preferred steel? How much flex does the 154cm have?

Last edited:
OP
B

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
There are 4 active Meatcrafter models and one discontinued.

I have the 154cm version, it has some flex but not near as much as a traditional filet knife.

Bringing this back to the top as I was just at Sportsmans looking for a fillet knife.

I noticed in the case they had two that were green handled abs carbon fiber with SV45 steel. I liked the amount of flex it had.

However in their website they only list 154cm

Any one that can chime in on which would be more preferred steel? How much flex does the 154cm have?
I have the green handled sv45 version... I like it a lot.

Bought it over the significantly cheaper 154cm in the case.

AdamLewis

FNG
I have the green handled sv45 version... I like it a lot.

Same here and I dig the knife. Have mostly used it as a fillet knife but finished out some deboned venison as well. It has good flex and S45VN is good stuff, I like it better than 154CM.

For me it is strictly a kitchen knife. Not interested in packing a blade that long anywhere and don't want the length for dressing or boning.

House of Blades has both the S45VN versions in stock. Green handle and the one with the safety orange blade. Looks like the plastic handled 154CM one is OOS though.

svivian

WKR
Same here and I dig the knife. Have mostly used it as a fillet knife but finished out some deboned venison as well. It has good flex and S45VN is good stuff, I like it better than 154CM.

For me it is strictly a kitchen knife. Not interested in packing a blade that long anywhere and don't want the length for dressing or boning.

House of Blades has both the S45VN versions in stock. Green handle and the one with the safety orange blade. Looks like the plastic handled 154CM one is OOS though.
How is it working as a fillet knife? What kind of fish?

I definitely don't want to be packing one either... Mine sees kitchen duty as well.

AdamLewis

FNG
How is it working as a fillet knife? What kind of fish?
It works well. Stays sharp for a good while and hasn't stained or anything. It takes a bit more to sharpen it than my cheap fillet knives but I use diamond stones so I can't say it is difficult.

I mostly use it on bigger fish. It has some flex but not a ton so works well for me on bigger / tougher fish. Have done lots on king mackerel with it, some salmon, mahi....probably some others.

svivian

WKR
It works well. Stays sharp for a good while and hasn't stained or anything. It takes a bit more to sharpen it than my cheap fillet knives but I use diamond stones so I can't say it is difficult.

I mostly use it on bigger fish. It has some flex but not a ton so works well for me on bigger / tougher fish. Have done lots on king mackerel with it, some salmon, mahi....probably some others.
This is helpful thank you

repins05

WKR
Used my meat crafter on and elk, salmon, and halibut last year. Stayed sharp cutting up my elk. Was impressed. Similar shape to a my old filet knife but blade is bulkier. Felt a bit big for salmon. Was excellent for filleting the halibut though. Grip got a little slippery but the holes in the handle provided some resistance. Washed it off and looks like new. I thought it sharpened somewhat easily. Just got it back from benchmade for a free factory sharpening.

Tbuckus

WKR
I’ve had mine since Christmas and have yet to sharpen it. Been using it in the kitchen cutting up meals and also game for sausages.
What I really like is the shape of the blade. Very versatile. The handle also fits well in my hand. Planning on taking it on hunting trips, but probably leave in camp. I have a hidden canyon for the pack