Beginner Caliber and Rifle

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
There is plenty of available options in 6.5 Creedmoor, plenty of brass options, easy to tune, inherently accurate and easy to handle with little recoil.

All you need to do is pick a stock option, the Stockys carbon 2nd for $300 is a great start

Howa 6.5 Creedmoor 24" $430
79B987FB-406F-45C5-9E6C-1C22D253260A.pngE5D09596-B114-4B9A-8A6F-223216DC3FF4.png

Because at 2,800fps and less impact velocity it’s already creating too much damage. Stop being hard headed- look at those pics, go read the thread linked and tell me you want more damage?

Alright I don’t have a barreled 22 with 1-8 twist all are 1-12 and 1-14. You just cost me some coin. I will get 1-8 and load 77. I will report back in feb. I’ve had terrible results in past with 223. But haven’t used larger bullets. Counter intuitive in my head to use them in a 223 when larger capacity options. Nonetheless the less I’ll try it.

TxxAgg

WKR
Please keep us updated. I've had good luck with the 77TMK on TX deer and pigs.

Didn’t read past post 68.

Here’s what I did when my boy was 10:

Tikka T3 Lite stainless in 7mm-08. Ditch the hockey puck recoil pad for a Limbsaver. The T3x is better but still not Limbsaver good.

Reduce trigger pull to 2.5 lbs or so. A crappy trigger is doom to a new shooter, since they tend to have to squeeze with the whole hand and we know what happens then.

Determine max shot distance and work backwards to find minimum mv to get acceptable velocity at max distance. 2000 fps?

Download 120 TTSX bullets. Varget is a good choice due to case volume. Develop 3 charge weights, all of which meet or exceed your minimum mv, starting with the minimum recommended load. Load 5 of each.

Let your boy shoot each charge weight. Two or three shots only. Don’t tell him which is which. You load the rifle. Let him decide what he can handle. Sitting at a bench, not prone. Prone hurts. Foam plugs and muffs. Muzzle blast is scary.

Determine which load he prefers. Develop the accuracy load using that charge weight.

As he grows repeat the process with stiffer loads as necessary if his skillset improves at longer ranges.

Brief but frequent range sessions.

This process worked for my boy. He’s 22 now, no flinch, and a darn good shot.

Because at 2,800fps and less impact velocity it’s already creating too much damage. Stop being hard headed- look at those pics, go read the thread linked and tell me you want more damage?
Formidilosus;

Is your position regarding the 223/tikka/swfa/77gr TMK because it is your go-to rifle under any circumstance, or because it represents the minimum set-up that a novice shooter could handle accurately on big game out to a reasonable yardage?

If you only could own one rifle, but you wanted it to be suitable for everything from brown/bear moose in AK to filling an extra whitetail doe tag in ID... and you wanted it to be able to take game out to 700 yards... what caliber and bullet would you pick for your tikka/swfa? Still the .223 or would it be something like a 308, 6.5cm, 300wm, 30-06, etc that takes a heavier bullet?

Similar question; if you could only use one bullet (regardless of caliber) for your "one" hunting rifle, would it still be the tmk across all sizes of big game, from 50 yards out to 700 yards?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Formidilosus;

Is your position regarding the 223/tikka/swfa/77gr TMK because it is your go-to rifle under any circumstance, or because it represents the minimum set-up that a novice shooter could handle accurately on big game out to a reasonable yardage?

It’s because out to 450’ish yards it has by far the highest success/hit/kill rate of anything made for everyone of everything we have used (which is most on the market).

If you only could own one rifle, but you wanted it to be suitable for everything from brown/bear moose in AK to filling an extra whitetail doe tag in ID... and you wanted it to be able to take game out to 700 yards... what caliber and bullet would you pick for your tikka/swfa? Still the .223 or would it be something like a 308, 6.5cm, 300wm, 30-06, etc that takes a heavier bullet?

6 or 6.5cm for 700 yards. 223/77tmk to about 450-500’ish for me.

Similar question; if you could only use one bullet (regardless of caliber) for your "one" hunting rifle, would it still be the tmk across all sizes of big game, from 50 yards out to 700 yards?

Yes.

It’s because out to 450’ish yards it has by far the highest success/hit/kill rate of anything made for everyone of everything we have used (which is most on the market).

Yes.
Thank you Formidilosus. I've found your input very informative and have have followed your advice on other topics like scope durability and how to properly mount optics, so know that I value your input. So, not trying to beat a dead horse here, just trying to gain some perspective.

Are you needing to rely on broadside vital shots, or do you find the 77gr tmk can penetrate enough to reach vitals through a quartering to or away shot? If my math is correct, a 77gr 22 cal projectile would be traveling at around 1700fps by the time it gets to 450 yards. I suppose that would not be too dissimilar than shooting an elk or bear at 10 yards with a 9mm pistol using Underwood 68gr extreme defense bullets (also 1700-1800fps)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thank you Formidilosus. I've found your input very informative and have have followed your advice on other topics like scope durability and how to properly mount optics, so know that I value your input. So, not trying to beat a dead horse here, just trying to gain some perspective.

It’s all good.

Are you needing to rely on broadside vital shots, or do you find the 77gr tmk can penetrate enough to reach vitals through a quartering to or away shot?

No. They go through any/all bone we have put them through, including moose “shoulders” and elk femurs.

If my math is correct, a 77gr 22 cal projectile would be traveling at around 1700fps by the time it gets to 450 yards. I suppose that would not be too dissimilar than shooting an elk or bear at 10 yards with a 9mm pistol using Underwood 68gr extreme defense bullets (also 1700-1800fps)

It’s a lot different than a pistol at 1,700fps impact. I would suggest 1,800fps as a lower limit generally, and you will still get devastating wounds at that.

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
I'm in a similar boat and hoping for some input as well. I'd like to find a rifle both my son (almost 9) and wife could use for deer hunting, maybe even elk eventually. My first struggle has been chambering, I know very little about smaller hunting rounds hut it seems like 7mm-08 and 6.5cm are the most preferred options for deer, but likely underpowered for elk so I may have to find something a bit more powerful down the road.
My next hurdle is I'd like something with an adjustable stock so I can adjust at least length of pull for my son as he grows. My wife is 5'6" so she needs something a little smaller than a standard rifle to shoot comfortably. I have AR rifles and I suppose I could get a 6.5cm upper for my AR10 but I was thinking a bolt gun would be lighter and easier to handle for both of them. What is out there for decent bolt guns? I know Savage has some offerings with the Accustock (not exactly sure which ones) and Bergara has the B14 HMR but haven't found much else.
X-bolt micro midas. 12.5 inch length of pull

Yes.
Form, what are your top 3 bullet choices for the 6.5 creedmoor out to 700 yards for deer/elk/bear?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, what are your top 3 bullet choices for the 6.5 creedmoor out to 700 yards for deer/elk/bear?

1st- 130gr TMK. 2nd 130gr or 140gr ELD-M. 3rd- 147gr ELD-M.

The 147gr is simply due to how many shots I end up taking on animals at low impact velocity- that specific bullet has a slightly thicker jacket at the nose than any other 6.5mm ELD-M.

Yes.
Form, where would a Tikka in 308 winchester rank after a 223 or 6.5cm in your opinion? Would it handle the 195 tmk well with the 11 twist? How about the 208 eldm? What kind of velocities would you see with a 22 or 24 inch Tikka 308 barrel loading the heavier bullets?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, where would a Tikka in 308 winchester rank after a 223 or 6.5cm in your opinion? Would it handle the 195 tmk well with the 11 twist? How about the 208 eldm? What kind of velocities would you see with a 22 or 24 inch Tikka 308 barrel loading the heavier bullets?

It’ll spin the 195 and 208gr but I don’t really prefer them in a 308- 2,500-2,550fps. The 175-185gr class is the sweet spot it seems and you can get 2,700’ish with a 185gr Berger and certain powders.

It’ll spin the 195 and 208gr but I don’t really prefer them in a 308- 2,500-2,550fps. The 175-185gr class is the sweet spot it seems and you can get 2,700’ish with a 185gr Berger and certain powders.
When you say you dont prefer the heavier bullets, is that because they dont tend to be as accurate or because the 2550fps isnt ideal?

As for the 175-185 class; Does that 2700ish also go for other bullets in that weight range, like the 175 tmk, 175 terminal ascent, or 178 eldx?

Are powders like varget and imr4064 going to get you there with the velocity and accuracy in a tikka 308?

Also, are you needing to seat closer or further from the lands with a tikka 308 to get the best accuracy and most velocity? I've heard that they tend to be longer... 2.99 to the lands for an eldx style bullet.

Thanks!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
When you say you dont prefer the heavier bullets, is that because they dont tend to be as accurate or because the 2550fps isnt ideal?

They shoot just fine, but for the ranges where a 308 makes sense the 175-185gr range recoils less.
As for the 175-185 class; Does that 2700ish also go for other bullets in that weight range, like the 175 tmk, 175 terminal ascent, or 178 eldx?

Yes, with the right powder.

Are powders like varget and imr4064 going to get you there with the velocity and accuracy in a tikka 308?

No, with those you will not get too velocity. PP2000 MR is the jam with 308’s and heavies.

Also, are you needing to seat closer or further from the lands with a tikka 308 to get the best accuracy and most velocity? I've heard that they tend to be longer... 2.99 to the lands for an eldx style bullet.

Thanks!

Nope. Mag length and go.