Because this happens to caribou too

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've seen post-mortem examples of this dreadful winter kill event happening with caribou, but this one makes me imagine the moment this herd fought to escape their cold, suffocating watery grave. The chaos and echoes must have been an explosion of thundering panic...then complete silence within minutes. Sad loss.

VernAK

WKR
This event and the winter ice storm two years ago have taken a serious toll on the Delta Bison Herd. I've been in the field lately to observe, and the remaining herd seems robust, and the calf crop appears plentiful. The Delta Bison Herd attracts more drawing hunt applicants than any other state hunt. Hopefully, we can have a few mild winters to provide more hunting opportunity.

mcseal2

WKR
I can imagine the moment too, I hate that it happens.

We had some heifers go through the ice on a pond last winter. We were forced to move them into a pasture with both a creek and a pond after the creek froze clear down to the gravel in the pasture we normally winter in. I chopped ice on the creek and fed them right along it hoping they'd avoid the pond, but they got curious and went out there anyway later in the day. Snow blew over the ice and hid it, probably helping make them braver. When I went to check about 2pm a couple had broke through the ice not long before.

I got one out with a rope and UTV, then the rest of the herd got curious and tried coming out on the ice. I spent time alternating between chasing the rest away from the ice and trying to rescue the other heifer. I got Dad to bring the tractor to help too, but 5 more went through the ice before he got there. I chopped them a path out to shore, got behind them on the ice to push them, and they climbed out on their own. By roping them and tying off to the tractor I saved all but the one heifer I couldn't get out with the UTV originally. She was weaker and by the time we got her out with the tractor she was alive but didn't recover. It's a very sad situation when animals break through the ice.