Beater Boat Binos

What are you all using for mag wise for boat binos? 99% sure these will be Dimondbacks, I know, but i have my reasons. If they end up in the bottom of a river or lake oh well, bouncing around the boat, getting dropped on rocks... ya get the picture. I am anticipating using the warranty service. For the price the quality you get will be good enough for me. Only hang up is mag size. I think 12's (definitely 15's) are going to be hard to keep steady bobbing around on the water, maybe not? 10x50's is where I keep landing. What are you guys using? Remember boat binos - won't be judging inches on trophy Muskies, just something for birds and the like. My 8x32 DB's just aren't enough out there. Thanks!

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Get an Athlon Talos 8x42 which is on sale for only $99.99, has a lifetime no fault warranty, is optically on par with a Diamondback and is a pretty good bino. You don't want more than 8x on a boat due to the boat always moving beneath you.
  • Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
  • BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
  • Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
  • Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater

22lr

WKR
I think you'll be fine in the 8x to 10x range for sure. If the water is calm the 10x will be ideal, but like Doug mentioned above, sometimes you want to go lower to help compensate for movements.

I would probably recommend the higher objective size to help in low light. Most of the time, if I'm on the water I get exponentially more careful as it gets dark. Kinda pointless to be looking for rocks and logs on the water if your binos can't pick up enough light. Vortex made an 8x50mm Diamondback for a while but I don't think they still offer it. If you found a pair of those used, I think those would be ideal for what your looking for! But regardless of 8x or 10x, I think youll enjoy running the 50mm lens in the early morning and the later evening.

AndyB

WKR
Pretty sure 7x50s are the marine standard, wide field of view is needed on the water plus the horizon in not far away. Even they are hard to hold still on anything but a mirror day. The 7X50 spec is to optimise focus whilst the boat is in motion, which is pretty much all the time, even when the boat is not under power.

22lr

WKR
Pretty sure 7x50s are the marine standard, wide field of view is needed on the water plus the horizon in not far away. Even they are hard to hold still on anything but a mirror day. The 7X50 spec is to optimise focus whilst the boat is in motion, which is pretty much all the time, even when the boat is not under power.

Great point, and I almost forgot about the Steiner Marine 7x50 line, they have a ton of options in that line. They can get pricey, but they start down in the $300 range new. They are definitely heavy and meant for life in a boat, but if the point is optics for a boat... It's just been so many years since I've looked through a pair that I can't remember how good they were compared to Diamondbacks.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes, 7x50 is the standard. We have the Steiner P750 7x50 Binoculars on sale for $249.99, reduced from $349.99

High Contrast Optics
specially coated for the highest light transmission, sharp edge-to-edge view and contrast, even in low light.
Floating Prism System
uses a flexible silicone lens mount to absorb severe shock, impact and abuse without damage
New Gray NBR Long-Life Rubber Armoring
blends into the urban environment for better concealment while providing a durable, slip-proof grip that is secure and noiseless.
Multicoated Lenses
optimize light transmission for superb performance in low light or hazy conditions.
Sports-Auto-Focus™ System
focus each eyepiece to your vision once, then keeps images razor-sharp from 20 yards to infinity – no more chasing focus on moving targets.
Waterproof and Fogproof Construction
withstands extreme cold and wet conditions.
Makrolon® Housing
rugged polycarbonate for a lightweight chassis that withstands 40 Gs of impact

7x50 are definitely the standard for a reason. You can hold 7x steady enough and the 50mm objective gives you enough light gathering that you can use to navigate if you get stuck someplace after dark. I have a pair of mil surplus 7x50s that live on my offshore boat. Someday I will upgrade to stabilized binos.

I've got two pairs of the diamondback 10x42's and I really like them. They are great quality for the price. Like to leave a pair in the truck and take one with me out in the boat to look at other vessels and buoys. My Vortex line consists of 3 binos, 1 spotter and 5 scopes. Their quality and warranty are tough to beat for the buck.

For years it was my 8x32 Sightron Blue Sky II's but now it's my Bushnell Legend 8x32's. Hard to beat for $100. Another good choice in that range is the Leupold Yosemites, although they are not waterproof.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My beater/loner pair are 10x42 vipers, they actually aren’t too bad and of course, if they get broken well....