Bear pistol carry with a pack - what I did this year and liked...

Beendare

WKR
Durability is fine - and S&W Customer Service has been first rate when something needed work.

Since I already own it, I shoot it well, and the 44mag is big step up from the 10mm - I've no intention of swapping it for a heavier, wimpier, 10mm.
But if a guy has no revolver experience, doesn't reload, then the current crop of 10mm pistols is a cheaper bear zapper solution.

Btw, I like the 357mag too, but I actually like a diameter that starts with "4" :) better.
I looked hard at those….but was worried about LT issues with pressure between the frame and cylinder. My SW 629 stainless has been fine.

Big G20 fan here….it could be my favorite Glock
Sorry for a the hijack OP

GoatPackr

Lil-Rokslider
Been wanting to try the Razco mounted on the bino harness but now I'm leaning towards the new holster mount on the Exo

Look at the NW retentions set up. Much more comfortable and it's not hanging from binos getting dragged through the dirt if you need to shoot prone.

Kris

Look at the NW retentions set up. Much more comfortable and it's not hanging from binos getting dragged through the dirt if you need to shoot prone.

Kris
I feel like it would get in the way of my bino harness and sternum strap though. What's your experience with this?

GoatPackr

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like it would get in the way of my bino harness and sternum strap though. What's your experience with this?
I haven't received mine but I've talked with a few guys who says it works great with theirs.
One other reason I went this route is I can sleep with it on and be mostly comfortable.

Kris

280ack

FNG
For me, I am not a fan of paddle holsters because they never seemed to be in the same place twice and are not secure on your person, in a fight they move or can come off and grabbing for a gun that was not there when you need it is a sobering experience. Holsters on a bino -harness or pack belt seem very risky. Taking off you pack or bino -harness decreases your probability of having the sidearm when you most need it, gutting an animal, when nature calls or mid day naps in the field. Off body carry has led to or contributed to deaths in the wilds as well as the urban wilds. It requires less discipline to keep a belt holster on than a shoulder holster, either will work. Working from your holster on the range in practice sessions is invaluable, once it was said that you need 200 reps to get muscle memory so your reflexes will engage properly. A thought on open top concealed carry type holsters, a buddy wore an open top holster in bear country and when his horse decided to make an unplanned jump across a creek his pistol fell out. He recovered the pistol after getting back to camp and someone pointed out his pistol was missing. Having said that concealed carry rigs should be avoided, full flap holsters and suicide strap holsters are just as dangerous for other obvious reason based on access. But like someone said what works for me may not work for you.

I ‘ve always wondered about the durability and longevity on hose Scandium frame revolvers.

Whats been your experience?

Any blowby between the frame and barrel after awhile?
After the 3rd round you don't wanna shoot it anymore so durability & longevity are assured. So is the purchase of 10mm alternative.

dla

WKR
After the 3rd round you don't wanna shoot it anymore so durability & longevity are assured. So is the purchase of 10mm alternative.
He has the wrong grip on it - he does his videos for entertainment, not education.
If you can't handle the 329, then maybe you should stay home - after all you might get a blister or need a latte or something.

He has the wrong grip on it - he does his videos for entertainment, not education.
If you can't handle the 329, then maybe you should stay home - after all you might get a blister or need a latte or something.
Oh look, a bovine excrement spewing from someone with no clue. Let me educate you, a sidearm in bear country is only helpful if you hit the CNS. Selecting an ultralite gun is comfortable but if you train regularly (like I do) then you base your decisions on your target practice and NOTHING ELSE. The 329PD (with the 500 grip like mine)...

329PD.jpg

...is still one snappy gun when shooting hot hard cast ammo. If you shot one you would know this.

The 329 is giving you six tries to hit the CNS whereas my G40 gives me ten more rounds with far less felt recoil and a tighter group equals a better chance of hitting the CNS. The Glock trigger allows ya to quickly send a second round downrange with a slight easing of the trigger for accurate double taps. This is not paper shooting, it's high pressure reaction that requires professional training...not unlike the SD training I receive in advanced courses. The G40 shoots very much like my EDC G22s, thus my decision to upgrade. There...you've been schooled boy. Go take a lesson and come back when you draw, aim and squeeze off two accurate rounds in 1.8 seconds.

g402.JPG

Am now adding dia to my ignore list because all he brings to the discussion is the stuff Matadors stand in.

Last edited:

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Gunfighter Inc Kenai and it’s very similar. It sits low enough that it doesn’t affect the sternum strap at all. My bino harness sits just above it, but it doesn’t impede my draw or re-holster. This has worked out the best for me to carry a handgun.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a holster that mounts to the Molle webbing on my Kifaru belt and a paddle holster that rides in my lid until I drop my pack. Pretty quick switch when needed.

I do like the OP’s strategy, similar to what Nick Muche does.

You should look at getting one of the quick detach mounts from Safariland, Bladetech, or G-Code. You would only need one holster and you could easily switch back and forth between your Kifaru belt and your pants.

MattB

WKR
You should look at getting one of the quick detach mounts from Safariland, Bladetech, or G-Code. You would only need one holster and you could easily switch back and forth between your Kifaru belt and your pants.
That looks like an interesting concept to start with, but I already have all the stuff for how I ran it last year. The only benefit might be if it is quieter to swap the holster between belts than the pistol between holsters (doing so with a grizzly 80 yards away was a little unnerving as kydex is not quiet). I would still need to dig out the paddle from my pack and put it in place so not sure there would be any time savings.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
That looks like an interesting concept to start with, but I already have all the stuff for how I ran it last year. The only benefit might be if it is quieter to swap the holster between belts than the pistol between holsters (doing so with a grizzly 80 yards away was a little unnerving as kydex is not quiet). I would still need to dig out the paddle from my pack and put it in place so not sure there would be any time savings.

It could be a lot quieter depending on which one. It would definitely be a lot quicker though, literally taking seconds to swap from one to the other. They make quick detach mounts that fit most holsters, so it could be a cheap fix for you and would save you from having to carry two holsters.

MattB

WKR
It could be a lot quieter depending on which one. It would definitely be a lot quicker though, literally taking seconds to swap from one to the other. They make quick detach mounts that fit most holsters, so it could be a cheap fix for you and would save you from having to carry two holsters.
Looked at the Blade-Tech website and see what you are talking about. Either way I still need to dig something out of my pack lid (paddle w/ QD attachment or paddle holster) and put it in place and then swap either holster or pistol from pack to hip, so not sure the potential time savings is worth the expense. It only took 30-45 seconds the one time I did it.

I do have a penchant for donations to Blade-Tech though....

Beendare

WKR
Agreed…..it has some snap….. but nothing like a SW500…and full disclosure…I did get a blister shooting the heck out of my buddies 329.grin. Maybe not a blister but I remember getting a hot spot. I get those on my Trigger finger with alot of rds through a G20 if I haven’t been practicing.
( call it a reminder to Shoot more!)

The 329 trigger is very good if you thumb it back…not that great with the long trigger pull. Thats a revolver thing though and a guy can learn to control it with a strong grip….I have a SW629 Classic that admittedly took me awhile to learn how to shoot well.

I thought long and hard about buying that 329pd after shooting a bunch with a couple buddies that have them.

I ended up going the G20 route mainly because I put a couple thousand rounds a year through those glocks….I practice a lot with them in quick draw and shoot scenarios On steel. Thus shooting them is more instinctual.

Potato/ potah-to…shoot what is fast and accurate for you.

As a side note, don’t you guys think you need 1,000 rds with a pistol platform to really feel like you know it? I do…or admittedly, maybe more in my case.

dla

WKR
Agreed…..it has some snap….. but nothing like a SW500…and full disclosure…I did get a blister shooting the heck out of my buddies 329.grin. Maybe not a blister but I remember getting a hot spot. I get those on my Trigger finger with alot of rds through a G20 if I haven’t been practicing.
( call it a reminder to Shoot more!)

The 329 trigger is very good if you thumb it back…not that great with the long trigger pull. Thats a revolver thing though and a guy can learn to control it with a strong grip….I have a SW629 Classic that admittedly took me awhile to learn how to shoot well.

I thought long and hard about buying that 329pd after shooting a bunch with a couple buddies that have them.

I ended up going the G20 route mainly because I put a couple thousand rounds a year through those glocks….I practice a lot with them in quick draw and shoot scenarios On steel. Thus shooting them is more instinctual.

Potato/ potah-to…shoot what is fast and accurate for you.

As a side note, don’t you guys think you need 1,000 rds with a pistol platform to really feel like you know it? I do…or admittedly, maybe more in my case.
Funny, but I just read a bear attack case where the fellow attacked by a sow grizzly, hit the bear 4/6 shots with a 4" 629 loaded with super hot HSM bear loads. He had only shot the revolver a couple shots before he started carrying it.

I shoot a lot because I like shooting. But the data shows that you don't need to be a pistolero to defend yourself.