Bear attack or homicide in Montana

It might not have ended differently, but I wonder if the guy was armed? Plenty of folks just merrily go into wilderness without any protection whatsoever. Camping, hiking, bow hunting, just never know when or where the unexpected might occur.

BTLowry

FNG
I thought I read somewhere the victim was missing a few days and the friend found him after going searching?

But maybe I am thinking of another event all together?

If the friend did it I am sure there is evidence that would connect him and the authorities will arrest him soon.

It might not have ended differently, but I wonder if the guy was armed? Plenty of folks just merrily go into wilderness without any protection whatsoever. Camping, hiking, bow hunting, just never know when or where the unexpected might occur.
Armed or not, you're pretty darn vulnerable when you are sleeping. I've got a set of "rules" I follow when I camp. Sleeping with a handgun is one of them, but less important than the others.

Choose your campsites wisely. Using a decoy tent isn't a bad idea.

Armed or not, you're pretty darn vulnerable when you are sleeping. I've got a set of "rules" I follow when I camp. Sleeping with a handgun is one of them, but less important than the others.

I have to say, I envy folks who can go off into deep woods and/or back country without seemingly a care or worry in the world. Especially alone I don’t think I’d ever be able to completely relax and sleep soundly. Maybe I should have developed more of Tom Berenger’s character, Sgt. Barnes, attitude in Platoon. “ We all gotta die sometime, Red. “

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve found two decoy tents to be ideal - then it’s a shell game to find me, and people always guess wrong. It’s science - millions of shell games around the world have proved it. Has anyone ever heard of a camper chopped up with two decoys? No.
IMG_0046.jpeg

Ok I'm curious as well. Do you put your decoy tent near the truck and pitch your real tent back in the woods a few hundred feet? What's the best type of decoy tent? Ozark Trail cheapo or a nicer tent to "sell the decoy" more? Do you put a dummy in a sleeping bag inside the decoy tent? What about placing a trail cam outside the decoy tent so you can check it and see what would have killed you had you put your real tent in that location?

Just messing with you, never heard of a decoy tent. Not saying it's a terrible idea at all really.

Man I take too much stuff as it is. If I start setting up decoy camps then I might have to rethink where I'm hunting. I always sleep with a gun and I do find it hard at times to relax when I'm sleeping alone.

When I'm alone where we hunt on the border I do put out a decoy tent, but part of it is also making it look like there's more than one person in camp. It's more difficult to kill two people in separate tents than sneak in on one so I feel like there's a bit of a deterrent more than simply the chance of choosing the wrong tent. I've had someone in my camp before and it's not a fun experience. I already don't sleep well so anything that can relax my racing mind helps. The extra tent is also great for random gear or even firewood and such to keep things dry. I've put coolers of meat in there to keep out of the sun too.

As for the OP, this sounds like a good base for a Dateline episode.