Base/Mid Layer Durability (KUIU / SITKA)

Vandy321

WKR
Hows the durability of the sitka base and mid-layer stuff??

I really like my 2 pairs of KUIU pants (pro and attack). But after just a year on my KUIU merino 125 and Peloton tops (forget the weight, but it's not the heavy 200), the durability SUCKS! They snag and pill like crazy. And the merino rubs my shoulders raw (unlike my smartwool) under my pack..and is developing holes already.

Is the sitka stuff more durable? If so, can somebody recommend some of their favorite lighter base/mid layer stuff?

I typically wear a Arcteryx Naga polyester type hoodie as my heavier mid layer when its not cold enough for a puffy. So really looking for maybe sitka version if the peloton lighter weight stuff?

Lowg08

WKR
First lite wool base layers are the best out there. The Klamath top is also very nice. I have myself started looking at the Sitka core all three weights. The boys at work have the Sitka mid layers and swear by them

*zap*

WKR
Kuiu peloton 97 hoody is my go to for packing in if its cold but above freezing with a synthetic t shirt under it...just right. It really is a good piece.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Specifically...durability. I know the performance is there in the kuiu as it probably is in the sitka...my main concern is what holds up better. Not happy with my pelaton's durability of ths kuiu merino wearing holes

Beendare

WKR
IME, the polyester stuff is much more durable than Merino. Everything pills eventually.

I've been using multiple versions and fabrics from many manufacturers for years....the KUIU- merino/poly holds up the best...the blend is just tougher. So I wear their shirt a lot as an outer in mild weather....typically with an ultra fine Icebreaker merino short sleeve T under it [elk/deer hunts in archery seasons in the mountains]

100% Merino is still my favorite base layer most of the time in cooler/cold conditions. Merino does get a little clammier than poly or nylon based when you are really sweating.

*zap*

WKR
Specifically...durability. I know the performance is there in the kuiu as it probably is in the sitka...my main concern is what holds up better. Not happy with my pelaton's durability of ths kuiu merino wearing holes

As far as peloton, picks and pulls are an 'issue' but I do not see it as a durability issue if the piece still functions....

Sitka midweight core has also been good to me, yet to use the heavyweight this season but it is coming. Very impressed with sitka midweight bottom and peloton 97 hoody when packing in. No sweat issues.

I'm going to have to try the FL base layers. I like most everything else of theirs that I have. I'm mostly interested in the their base layers because of the camo patterns for the warmer days where that would be the only top.

Other than that, I find the Smartwool 250 just about perfect for me. Very warm, extremely soft and comfy. Plus mine have held up very well thus far.