Base camp/family tent

759646706e2ac98e6b3853870437523b.jpg
just got my 10x14 kodiak set up, love the heavy duty floor in it. Setup took about ten minutes, most of that was putting in the stakes. I'm 5' 10" and can stand up everywhere in it. Still debating wether to put a stove jack in it or get a mr. Heater buddy to heat it when it's cold.

I'm a big fan of my Kodiak 10'x14'. Have had it for several years and have had no problems with it, except when my brother borrowed it and put it up wet. I've got some dark stains in the ceiling now, but it still works good.

After all the feedback I will probably go with the Kodiak, but the awning looks pretty questionable. Can a person adjust it so there is a slope for water to drain? It looks like that would be the first thing to bust in wind or snow. Does anybody have the optional vestibule also? How did it perform with a few inches of snow on it?

Does anybody have the VX models (screen vents on sides)? Any water leaks? Help in warmer weather but we also have summertime monsoon rain.

Last edited:
I hardly ever use the awning. It is really just for shade. It is a water proof tent. I was in Victoria, BC the other week in the tent and it rained heavy for days. I'm not sure about the VX model. After several seasons, you may want to retreat the canvas. I had to retreat the top after my brother got mold all over the top of the tent and I used bleach and other stuff to kill the mold and scrub it out. I have used it in the winter time and it handles snow just fine. My heat source is a Little Buddy heater with a hose that runs outside to a 5 gallon propane tank. On low, the heater will last at least 3 days and keep everything warm and dry inside.

Last edited:
I am sold on the tent and it has been worth every penny I spent on it. You will see that it is a burly tent. Definitely more comfortable in the cold and heat than any nylon tent I have been in.

After all the feedback I will probably go with the Kodiak, but the awning looks pretty questionable. Can a person adjust it so there is a slope for water to drain? It looks like that would be the first thing to bust in wind or snow. Does anybody have the optional vestibule also? How did it perform with a few inches of snow on it?

Does anybody have the VX models (screen vents on sides)? Any water leaks? Help in warmer weather but we also have summertime monsoon rain.
My brother in law had the VX model and it really increases the air flow. They haven't had any leaks yet but I'm not sure it has really been tested in a good downpour. My older model has been through the ringer through a couple of nasty storms and always stayed competly dry. Plus, the storage bag is awesome compared to the Sprinbars.

Back