Barrel Length Restrictions For Hunting?

jreyna

FNG
I’m currently in the process of getting a rifle rebarreled and was going to go with a 16” .308 carbon fiber barrel. The goal is to make a light weight, agile, suppressor host for my 400 yards and in rifle. When speaking with a barrel maker, they said the minimum length barrel they make is 18” so that you don’t get caught up in weird barrel length regulations in some states (he mentioned something about some states measure barrels different, like from chamber to muzzle or even rear of action to the muzzle). I’ve always measured bolt face to muzzle.

I haven’t heard of such thing but I wanted to check with you folks. Would I be limited on which states I can hunt with a 16” barreled rifle (rem 700 action)? If so, which areas?

def90

WKR
The ATF measures from the bolt face to the end of the fixed end of the barrel.. meaning if you have a removeable brake the brake would be removed and the barrel measured to that point, if the brake is silver soldered or has a blind pin then it is measured to the end of the brake.

As for length, Every caliber has a length of barrel that provides the best performance, for instance both .223/5.56 and .308 would be 20 inches with .308 going out to 22-24 if you are looking for long range performance. anything longer than that doesn't add any performance and anything short of that and you give up velocity and performance at distance.

I haven't heard of a state that requires a barrel longer than the ATF definition for a rifle which is 16 inches.

OP
jreyna

jreyna

FNG
Thanks for the feedback so far.

Regarding the 16" vs 18" .308 barrel, my preference is really to go 18" for the additional performance with minimal additional length, but the only thing that keeps he thinking on the 16" is that I can get it for nearly $200 less when it's all said and done (shipped,installed...etc).

This may turn the convo a bit but wondered what y'alls thoughts were on a 18" .308 in a 1:10 twist vs a 16" .308 in a 1:8 twist. My hope is to hunt with 165-175 grain ammo. Ik 1:10 is the best general twist, but if I went with the 16" 1:8 twist would I be hindering my goal of a 400 yard and in rifle (with suppressor)?

def90

WKR

Regarding the 16" vs 18" .308 barrel, my preference is really to go 18" for the additional performance with minimal additional length, but the only thing that keeps he thinking on the 16" is that I can get it for nearly $200 less when it's all said and done (shipped,installed...etc).

This may turn the convo a bit but wondered what y'alls thoughts were on a 18" .308 in a 1:10 twist vs a 16" .308 in a 1:8 twist. My hope is to hunt with 165-175 grain ammo. Ik 1:10 is the best general twist, but if I went with the 16" 1:8 twist would I be hindering my goal of a 400 yard and in rifle (with suppressor)?

Run your barrel lengths through a balistic calculator and see what your reduced velocity will do for you in regards to kinetic energy and bullet drop at the distances you think you want to shoot.

I have a bunch of .308 rifles in the form of FALs/L1A1s and some bolt rifles and I wouldn't go any shorter than 18. FN and every country that adopted the FAL for their militaries kept the barrel length at 21 inches except for their paratrooper models in which FN found 18 inches to be good enough for the job that it was asked to perform.

16 inch barrel making 400yd shots at the required accuracy for big game hunting? I don't think the two inches is worth it

Last edited:

WKR
What are you hoping to kill with it, and what kind of bullets do you want to shoot?

OP
jreyna

jreyna

FNG
@9.1 I'd like to run mostly 165 and 168grn for hunting, but would like to plink with anything from 150 - 180 grain. May eventually get into some reloading with some subsonic 200 grn pills but that's not really a priority.

@def90, thanks for the input as well. Good point on what militaries are adopting since they do it for a reason.

Personally I dont plan on using a barrel longer than 20" ever again. They will be 16.5-20" with 20" being for 30/338 magnums. My newest is a 20" 300prc.

Use a different gunsmith if they won't make you a legal barrel. If you want it and it's legal then get it. Also, you cannot over stabilize a 308 winchester from a 16" barrel so 1:8" twist is fine.

Kindo

WKR

I've got a 16" bolt .308 1:10 that I run a SiCo Hybrid on. I've got a load right now that is sub MOA with 165gr going 2640 at the muzzle. According to my ballistics, I'm plenty good on deer/bear to 500ish and if I could find another bullet for elk that shoots with same accuracy, I think I'd be good to 400.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
As someone who has done something very similar for hunting suppressed, you don’t give THAT much from 18-16”. The convenience outweighs the marginal speed loss.

As far as legality of hunting with sbr’s or sub 16”, I’ve never heard of such a rule. Especially since pistols are legal in most rifle seasons as an alternative weapon.

Last edited:

Unckebob

WKR
Although SBR's are illegal under Federal Law, you can legally own one (and/or a suppressor) if you get a tax stamp.

But, some states ban SBRs and suppressors anyway (in CT, I couldn't own a pistol with a threaded barrel b/c it was an "assault rifle."). Even with Federal approval, you could go to jail under state law for possessing either.

The gunsmith knows that, but probably doesn't want to take the time (I don't blame him) to figure out how those states determine barrel length or risk having them change the law on him.

Given the complex and ever changing gun laws in certain states, his decision to build himself a "cushion" is sad but understandable.

Let me start by saying that I've barreled a lot of bolt guns over the years and that most of the info shared here should all be considered (By others) when making you're choice... The best guide that I've developed over those barrels is to cut the length in inches to 2X the rifling twist.. (with an absolute minimum of 18"). I take that measurement from the point where the rifling contacts the bullet to the end of the fixed muzzle.. For example if it's a .308 barrel with 1/10" twist it would be 20" plus the length of the chamber.. I know this sounds long to a lot of folks, but if you need to re-crown, set the chamber back, possibly chamber to different case (of same caliber), you have plenty of metal to work with... Base the twist on the weight range you'll be shooting and the length to this and you can't go wrong.. At the end of the day I want 2 full rotations of the bullet as it leaves the muzzle... Everything, as relates to performance is a compromise.. You just have to understand what you're getting for what you're giving up.. All the best..

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
Go short! I have the following rifles all in 308 and suppressed with the same 165s

700 5r 18.5” -2650
Fieldcraft 18.5” -2675
Model 7 20” -2700
Model 7 16.5” -2700
Custom 16.5” -2700

There’s not enough velocity difference to worry about in a 308 in my experience. I have had others all about the same speed. That said, every barrel is different. My 16.5 model 7 is unbelievable. It’s fast and a tack driver.
It’s my Fieldcraft killer 🤣. I just wish it was stainless like my other 7’s

jimh406

WKR
I don’t know of any states that have a rifle barrel length restriction either. I don’t think 2 inches is enough to worry with though. I’d go with the recommendations of the builder.

I expect most people would feel 16 is pretty short for a bolt action including those responding on the thread. That’s fine if you want to keep it. Otherwise, your potential resale market would be small.

I’m sure they can tell you the weight difference, but I bet it isn’t more than an ounce or two.

As far as velocity loss is concerned. Just because one load sees no difference doesn’t mean you couldn’t gain more out of a different load that was made to make use of a longer barrel and burn more powder. For sure, there are many 308s that do more than the 2700 fps of Whhood. Does that matter? You be the judge.

Mark.c

FNG
.308 is forgiving in respect to velocity and accuracy with barrel lengths down to 16 inch. Personally I would go with 18 or 20 inch barrel for a bolt gun or a semi-auto. It’s a handy and balanced length in the sweet spot.

Go 16 inch, and with another barrel maker if they wont make it. That claim is lazy.
The only restriction I've read is Colorado requires 16 inch.
Ballistics can be perfectly fine from a 16 inch. For instance, I get 2650 from 168s, 2770 from 150s and 3050 from 130s from mine. All mild temp stable loads.
8 or 10 twist is fine. Both will stabilize great.
Dont worry about what people say. Dont worry about what the militaries have or do use. Know your limitations and enjoy carrying your short, fully capable, rifle.