Barrel Contour recommendations for Howa Mini.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Need opinions.

I decided to cancel my CarbonSix order (mainly do to all the wait time threads) and go with a Preffered Barrel Blank steel barrel. Where I need help is what contour to order the barrel in. The goal of this rifle is to be a compact, light, stalking/still hunting rifle to use down here in the SE Appalachians and NW Florida. I would like to keep it at or under 7.25 lbs outfitted.

The build specs is as follows;
- Cartridge: 6mm ARC
- Barrel Length/Twist/thread size: 16.5 and 1:7 twist with a 5/8x24 thread
- Action: Howa Mini (10.1 ounce)
- Stock: Stocky Stocks Carbon Fiber (19 ounces)
- Bottom Metal: Jefferson Hinge Floorplate (3.5 ounces
- Rings: Talley Light weight rings (3.5 ounces)
- Scope: Leupold Mark 4hd 2.5-10 (21 ounces)
- Muzzle Decvise: Revival Defense Single Port brake with a Banish Backcountry Supressor (roughly 15 ounces with coletac cover).
Total: Roughly 72 ounces (4.5lbs)

Barrel Contours I am undecided on:
- #2 Sporter. If I did my math right it should be .770 at the muzzle (I didn't get the weight from Preferred)

- #3 Sporter. If I did my math right it should be .800 at the muzzle. Preferred stated this barrel contour would be around 2.75lbs. Which would put the rifle right around 7.25lbs.

I'm leaning toward a number #2 sporter because I have a feeling it would balance the rifle out better but would like to hear yalls thoughts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240918_214215_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240918_214215_Chrome.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1

The Guide

WKR
If go with a #3. At 16.5" you will be bringing the barrel COG back quite a bit which will allow you to have a heavier barrel profile to balance the weight back forward.

Jay