Barrel break in, does it matter?

I was finally able to shoot my 6.5 PRC Bighorn Carbon 6 build. She's awesome! So glad I went with a build! Especially with the Trigger Tech diamond set to super light. I really love light triggers.

Anyways I've looked into barrel break in before and it seems people either just shoot them or do the shoot a group, clean it with Holy Water, do a Sun Dance and shoot another group and repeat.

I thought I saw Erik Cortina say to just shoot it.

I'm a box in so far so I'm probably past the point of no return to do anything.

Any input?
ec2040fb29a08b5de76d7030451466c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Chalk this up there with cleaning your rifle - you'll get guys that swear one way or the other. Bergara called it out in the owners manual so I did and I clean it good after each range day. Some guys never clean.

Pick a path that makes sense for you and hunt.

B23

WKR
I think a good custom barrel chambered by a good smith requires very minimal break in where as a off the shelf factory made gun with the typical factory barrel and chamber job is usually a whole different story.

If you borescope a factory barrel and chambered gun and then go scope a custom barrel that's been chambered by a good smith you'll quickly see why one requires more break in and or why one versus the other coppers up way more. There's generally a huge difference in how both look.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
Glen Seekins told me to just shoot it when I asked him about break in for my 6.5 gas gun. I've picked up on my PRS buddies method. 2 shots, clean and remove copper, and shoot the piss out of it. Clean as accuracy dictates after that. I honestly don't think that you will ever sort out this argument, so my suggestion is to do whatever you deem necessary.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

After following the break-in procedure recommended by the manufacturer of every rifle I've owned, I chose to do absolutely nothing with an inexpensive Shaw 7mm-08 barrel I picked up from Midway USA for my Savage LW Storm. I just started shooting it and after about 50 shots I haven't cleaned it yet.

It's only gotten better and better from the first groups. From 1" down to now about 0.6's routinely. I may never break in another barrel.

On a new barrel I just shoot however many rounds I feel like on the first range trip and clean it completely after. Beyond that I don't clean near every trip.

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
My neighbor and I both broke in our new rifles’ barrels (his a Christensen in .300 Win and mine a full custom GA Precision in 6.5 PRC). We followed the the recommended barrel break-in procedure from GA Precision and it was amazing watching the barrels both shoot clean of copper fouling within about 10 shots at shoot one shot, clean to a copper/powder residue-free patch and shoot another. I shot a one-hole group at round 20-23 and couldn’t be happier with my new rifle.

Now to chase a load with ELD-M’s and ADG brass. I had loaded up some “bulk” Nosler 2nds brass, extra RL22 powder I had on-hand and some 139 grain Scenars for my break-in. Damn, if that combo doesn’t shoot so well it may be what I stay with!

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
There was a thread just like this a few months ago and Frank Green from Bartlein barrels weighed in with some excellent insight.
Basically not cleaning your rifle is the best way to kill the barrel prematurely
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/barrel-break-in-procedure.215532/page-3

Not braking in a barrel doesn't equal not cleaning it. The process of "breaking in" a barrel isnt going to make a bad barrel into a good barrel. Failing to "break in" a well made, hand lapped barrel isnt going to make it a bad barrel. I have shot a lot of barrels over 23 years of shooting matches as well as hunting. I am definitely in the "just shoot it" camp for a new barrel.

But carbon and copper are going to layer up in the barrel, and they need to be cleaned out. I will clean the barrel pretty thoroughly between 20 rounds and 200 rounds depending on the barrel and what its used for.

Not braking in a barrel doesn't equal not cleaning it. The process of "breaking in" a barrel isnt going to make a bad barrel into a good barrel. Failing to "break in" a well made, hand lapped barrel isnt going to make it a bad barrel. I have shot a lot of barrels over 23 years of shooting matches as well as hunting. I am definitely in the "just shoot it" camp for a new barrel.

But carbon and copper are going to layer up in the barrel, and they need to be cleaned out. I will clean the barrel pretty thoroughly between 20 rounds and 200 rounds depending on the barrel and what its used for.
Read Frank's post he addresses barrel break in as well, the not cleaning part is in response to an earlier comment
There's no one size fits all approach, look at your patches to understand what's happening with your barrel.
I've had them break in with a few shots, and had them foul badly for 20 plus

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I dont "look at patches" - that doesnt tell the story anyway. I use a bore scope to see what is happening in my barrel. Looking down barrels and years of shooting competition is what I am basing my answer off.

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
I dont "look at patches" - that doesnt tell the story anyway. I use a bore scope to see what is happening in my barrel. Looking down barrels and years of shooting competition is what I am basing my answer off.
Can you please elaborate more? I’m not sure what you’re getting at and genuinely interested in learning. What barrel condition will a borescope show that a clean patch won’t?

Can you please elaborate more? I’m not sure what you’re getting at and genuinely interested in learning. What barrel condition will a borescope show that a clean patch won’t?
Uh huh ^^^
Anyone who knows what they're doing will get what they need from a patch.
Bores scopes are tough, I won't even begin to pretend that I'm competent enough to know WTH I'm looking at with one

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Can you please elaborate more? I’m not sure what you’re getting at and genuinely interested in learning. What barrel condition will a bore-scope show that a clean patch won’t?
Its possible to run a solvent soaked patch through a bore, but still have it come out clean. Copper and carbon layer up in the barrel, and carbon can go quite hard. In these situations the carbon and the copper its covering will only start to come out with multiple passes of abrasive cleaners (like JB paste or Iosso) interspersed with wet patches. Its possible to see this in the bore with a bore scope, but running patches down the bore will tell you very little in these situations.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Its possible to run a solvent soaked patch through a bore, but still have it come out clean. Copper and carbon layer up in the barrel, and carbon can go quite hard. In these situations the carbon and the copper its covering will only start to come out with multiple passes of abrasive cleaners (like JB paste or Iosso) interspersed with wet patches. Its possible to see this in the bore with a bore scope, but running patches down the bore will tell you very little in these situations.
OT but slightly relevant. How often and when do you choose to use an abrasive? I just ordered some jb bore paste cause I have some stubborn barrels that never seem to end up clean. Not sure what side of cleaning vs not I am on, but going by what barrel manufacturers say I don’t think I’ll let one go 600+ rounds again.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
but going by what barrel manufacturers say I don’t think I’ll let one go 600+ rounds again.

🤷

This one has more than 8k rounds without cleaning or a single patch being
through it-
BF25561A-B966-4F5E-94F9-38733C626EF5.jpeg

9A5103E5-D45C-4A4D-B3B6-FFACC44574BE.jpeg
477C5007-BB0D-460C-AD0C-1E8F67A852AD.jpeg

This one was at a lot more than the one above…. Oh yeah- it’s a Bartlein….
00877A65-D4D6-4FD4-90E7-8148C1EDDF76.jpeg

5702C950-98AC-43D6-82A7-D4EF836A2D93.jpeg

I have groups and pictures with fast 6mm’s with 1200 rounds without cleaning, 6.5’s with 1500+, 300 mags with 1500-2,000 rounds, 338’s, etc, etc. Either I and my buddies receive 100% of barrels that shoot without ever being cleaned, or the whole thing for practical shooting is mostly a myth.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
OT but slightly relevant. How often and when do you choose to use an abrasive? I just ordered some jb bore paste cause I have some stubborn barrels that never seem to end up clean. Not sure what side of cleaning vs not I am on, but going by what barrel manufacturers say I don’t think I’ll let one go 600+ rounds again.

Its hard to say a specific number as it varies a lot. My son has a carbon wrapped barrel that needed a good clean with less than 100 rounds on it. Others might go a lot longer. Thats why I like a bore scope, though I still go off what shows on target. The bore scope just helps me diagnose what I am seeing happen on the target.

As a general rule, I clean with solvent and a bronze brush every 200 rounds on most barrels. JB less often, maybe every 400 or so. Use a little kroil or solvent on the patch with t JB to help lubricate it.

I am with Form on this one. My go to hunting rifle is a Tikka 300WSM that is beat to crap and shows it; I have not cleaned the barrel in years and years and it still shoots like a dream.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
🤷

This one has more than 8k rounds without cleaning or a single patch being
through it-
View attachment 332526

View attachment 332527
View attachment 332528

This one was at a lot more than the one above…. Oh yeah- it’s a Bartlein….
View attachment 332533

View attachment 332536

I have groups and pictures with fast 6mm’s with 1200 rounds without cleaning, 6.5’s with 1500+, 300 mags with 1500-2,000 rounds, 338’s, etc, etc. Either I and my buddies receive 100% of barrels that shoot without ever being cleaned, or the whole thing for practical shooting is mostly a myth.
Heresy.