Barney pack question for whole quarters?

I don't like the bag on mine. A bone-in quarter is still too loose & wobbly for my liking, and I'd still end up using other straps to tighten everything down. Packing quarters without the bag works better for me. Those batwings look like the real deal though. Going to need to get those.

OP
P

PA Hunter

WKR
For me the meat shelf is a must. Ratchet straps, 550 cord, Jute have all worked securing quarters/game bags to the frame. I have the Yukon bag but haven't put meat in it, I also use contractors' bags over the game bags.

Billy Molls has a youtube bag review and one is the Barney's. Most folks that I know that moose hunt have a Barneys for packing moose. Only one of my buddies has a bag for his frame.
Yes I saw his bag review think he had the Pinnacle, I was wondering if the meat shelf makes it feel a little less painful than just a bag.

rope

FNG
Yes I saw his bag review think he had the Pinnacle, I was wondering if the meat shelf makes it feel a little less painful than just a bag.
I have had good weight in the bag but not rear quarter kind of weight. I have the Yukon and a buddy has the Pinnacle, he has put meat in his pack and not complained. I prefer the ease of the meat shelf. I lay the cordage/straps on the ground then the quarter and the bag on top, tie everything off roll the bag over to the bottom and tighten down. Roll back over with straps up...

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Barneys frame without the bag for packing meat and for backpacking. Just get some 1" webbing strap and snap buckles, burn some holes in the webbing strap to attach it to the frame of the pack where the pins are, and voila, you can strap quarters to the frame with ease. I use a lightweight dry bag and small dry bags strapped to the frame for backpack hunts. That setup is a lot lighter than the Barneys bag and waterproof.

1661560708036.png

Last edited:
OP
P

PA Hunter

WKR
I have had good weight in the bag but not rear quarter kind of weight. I have the Yukon and a buddy has the Pinnacle, he has put meat in his pack and not complained. I prefer the ease of the meat shelf. I lay the cordage/straps on the ground then the quarter and the bag on top, tie everything off roll the bag over to the bottom and tighten down. Roll back over with straps up...
That sounds like a great way to do it.

I had a Barney's frame with shelf (no bag) and sold it...only because I needed something different for my hunts. Great frame and zero complaints. I think you could pack a transmission on the meat shelf. I've never had to pack moose quarters so not sure anything is clearly best. I'm pretty certain I'd be bagging the quarter in a good TAG bag and using only the pack frame w/shelf. Many good tips here about how to use webbing straps and ratchet straps to secure loads. One thing you DON'T want is a wobbly load on the frame. Get that sucker tight as a bull's ass and you'll be less uncomfortable if you know what I mean.

OP
P

PA Hunter

WKR
I use a Barneys frame without the bag for packing meat and for backpacking. Just get some 1" webbing strap and snap buckles, burn some holes in the webbing strap to attach it to the frame of the pack where the pins are, and voila, you can strap quarters to the frame with ease. I use a lightweight dry bag and small dry bags strapped to the frame for backpack hunts. That setup is a lot lighter than the Barneys bag and waterproof.

View attachment 445161
Thanks for the great idea!

OP
P

PA Hunter

WKR
I had a Barney's frame with shelf (no bag) and sold it...only because I needed something different for my hunts. Great frame and zero complaints. I think you could pack a transmission on the meat shelf. I've never had to pack moose quarters so not sure anything is clearly best. I'm pretty certain I'd be bagging the quarter in a good TAG bag and using only the pack frame w/shelf. Many good tips here about how to use webbing straps and ratchet straps to secure loads. One thing you DON'T want is a wobbly load on the frame. Get that sucker tight as a bull's ass and you'll be less uncomfortable if you know what I mean.
Thanks kevin I did about a dozen deboned moose just never hunted an area they had to be bone in. The last hind quarter I lifted made me think really think how can I slep this thing on my back without crumbling like a tin can i stepped on.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ratchet straps work great, I’ve hauled thousands of lbs over the last few years with my Barney’s frame. Never really thought much about getting a bag for it.

Ratchet straps work great, I’ve hauled thousands of lbs over the last few years with my Barney’s frame. Never really thought much about getting a bag for it.
Do you mostly do fly in drop offs and float hunts then? I'd like to take the alps bag off mine but most of our hunts are hike in so I dont think I really have a choice unless I want to take my bag off once we set up camp. Could probably take it off for my kodiak deer hunt this year but it seems like it would be eaiser to throw a deer in the bag eaiser then strapping all the pieces to the frame and meat shelf

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Find a lightweight dry bag to put all your camp gear in. Once at camp, leave the big dry bag in the tent. For day hunts away from camp, put your day gear in smaller dry bags and lash them to the frame and now you are ready to hunt and pack quarters or bagged meat on the frame. Attach webbing straps with buckles (lighter than ratchet straps). This method also keeps your big dry bag clean for your tent, bag, clothes, food, etc. If you throw bloody quarters into your pack bag then you will have to get all the blood out of the bag before you fill it with your camp gear for the pack out. A couple guys I know went to this method and like it.

Attachments

• 20170902_143532.jpg
    20170902_143532.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 47
  • packed and ready to hike.jpg
    packed and ready to hike.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 47
  • P1050430.JPG
    P1050430.JPG
    469.9 KB · Views: 47

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Man, I sure love fall colors (^^^). I wanted to thank you guys for the NRS pull strap idea. I just installed 3 on my pack last night. I wrapped the webbing around the tube and melted a hole with a hot nail then used #10 stainless screws so it goes through the webbing on both sides of the tube. Came out great and I wish I learned this 35 years ago! We head out in a couple days so all that is left is to field test it and get these pretty blue straps bloody! Good luck to everyone this season and stay safe.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I hauled an entire moose in my Barney’s pack last Saturday, I used straps similar to the NRS straps but I think I’ll upgrade to the nrs for next year.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That’s what I do and packed a whole moose the other evening. Tag bagged meat strapped right to the frame on the meat shelf. I don’t believe there’s anything that compares to the Barney’s frame for that use. Large bear hides, moose quarters, soft tundra in the rain. Barney’s frame really is where it’s at.