Barney pack question for whole quarters?

PA Hunter

WKR
Apparently nobody uses this pack in the backpack section so let me try it here.

Looking to get the Barney pack for whole quarters in an upcoming hunt and other future hunts. I am very familiar with moose hunting, but all areas I have been were bone out areas where I got by with tradidional packs so now I am going to on the bone in areas and I am curious if you folks with the Barney packs like just using the freighter frame with meat shelf for whole quarters, or do you prefer a bag to just slip the whole quarters into and disregard the meat shelf? Does the meat shelf put a full quarter too high on your back? Does a bag sag too much ? I am 5' 10 if it matters. I am leaning toward the Pinnacle bag without the meat shelf just to save time.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I like the looks of those bat wings! We have only ever used string wrapped around pins. Use a LOT of string so the quarters don't shift or move around. I tried the bags and they aren't big enough for all of the pieces and the pack weighs more.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Freighter Frame, meat shelf and ratchet straps for me when using it for moose or hauling bear bait.
What type of ratchet straps do you use? I'm picturing the ones you use for tying down a wheeler! haha I'm always willing to learn something new.

Meat shelf and frame. No bag. If you want to also use it as a daypack, just set a dry bag on the shelf and strap it on.
What type of ratchet straps do you use? I'm picturing the ones you use for tying down a wheeler! haha I'm always willing to learn something new.
The regular old fashioned NRS buckle bumper buckle straps work too.
I'll usually throw on a regular ratchet strap when moving a 55-gallon drum because I can get it tighter, but everything else I prefer the NRS straps with the bumper buckles.

Kobuk, I use the smallest I can find and cut a good bit of the strap off to they’re nice and short. Works well.

It’s beyond me why Barney’s hasn’t come up with a strap system to use on the frame pack when no bag is being used.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Pinnacle bag on the Barney frame. Its a tight fit to get a big hind quarter in the bag but it'll go. Then tighten all the straps on the bag and away you go.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all the replies, do these bags Hunter ,Pinnacle ,Yukon come on and off easy or are they a pain to remove & put on?
There not too bad but I'd say its a bit of a pain. Especially when you're looking at a moose to deal with, one more thing to do gets to be more of a pain.

I actually get rid of the pins and use bolts with nylocks. The pins and keeper rings drive me nuts rattling and the pins do bend after a bunch of heavy loads

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
I have several trips on a Barney's frame that has the wings from an old Alps pack. Works well on whole quarters, using the meat shelf. I'm the same height as you.

Make sure you practice getting up with a load. Lay pack on ground, should straps up. Lean back into it and buckle in. Roll from your back to the ground right or left so you can get on all fours. Then stand up.

I got cocky on my first moose, last load and blew out some buckles trying to He Man the head straight up with the tines stuck in the mud.

I too strap a dry bag to my frame while day hunting. It's frustratingly slow to get in and out of over the course of the day, but it's the only waterproof solution I've found and I need my puffy jacket/pants to be dry when I'm ready to wear them.

Still waiting for reports on the new Wrangell Gear bag. It has a lot of promise but their marketing videos are insufficient.

OP
P

PA Hunter

WKR
Thank you for your reply. I guess im just really curious if the meat shelf makes a big difference. Just tossing a quarter in a Pinnacle bag would be real quick.
What is the Wrangell gear bag? Is that another freighter frame bag i dont know about?

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
I like the meat shelf. Keeps a quarter up high so I'm balanced.

Wrangell Gear is an Alaskan company that just came out with a waterproof bag to fit a Barney's pack. Could be great but they haven't shown me enough to get my money yet.

I don't believe fitting a bone in moose quarter in any bag will be an easy task. It's pretty damned hard to get one in a meat bag then put the sacked quarter in a contractor bag to keep blood off the back. Our system of strapping it to a bare frame is as easy as it gets.

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
Here are some pics of our Barney's packs with Alps wings on them. Really simple system that has worked well.

Attachments

• P9190081.JPG
    P9190081.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 67
  • P9190076.JPG
    P9190076.JPG
    442.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20151001_165628000_iOS.jpg
    20151001_165628000_iOS.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 67
OP
P

PA Hunter

WKR
I like the meat shelf. Keeps a quarter up high so I'm balanced.

Wrangell Gear is an Alaskan company that just came out with a waterproof bag to fit a Barney's pack. Could be great but they haven't shown me enough to get my money yet.

I don't believe fitting a bone in moose quarter in any bag will be an easy task. It's pretty damned hard to get one in a meat bag then put the sacked quarter in a contractor bag to keep blood off the back. Our system of strapping it to a bare frame is as easy as it gets.
Just watched their podcast but it was real hard to see the bag on the table. They really should be doing youtube videos humping some meat.

rope

FNG
For me the meat shelf is a must. Ratchet straps, 550 cord, Jute have all worked securing quarters/game bags to the frame. I have the Yukon bag but haven't put meat in it, I also use contractors' bags over the game bags.

Billy Molls has a youtube bag review and one is the Barney's. Most folks that I know that moose hunt have a Barneys for packing moose. Only one of my buddies has a bag for his frame.