Barnes 300 Blk 120 Gr TAC-TX for Elk

Howdy all. New to Rokslide and am really enjoying following several elk/backpacking threads. Figured I would share this thread from another forum in case any fellow Roksliders find my experience helpful:

matthewbwinter

FNG
Classified Approved
I personally think this is a mistake. I just lost a bull moose to a substantially more powerful round and seemingly good bullet placement. Obviously not good enough, but never again will I go into a big hunt under-gunned or adequately gunned. Most of my animals from here on out will be shot with a cartridge that is appropriate for larger animals than I am targeting.

That being said, if you shoot well, and don’t get bull fever, I’m sure you’ll be fine.

freddyG

WKR
Those bullets don’t expand that great at those velocities. I messed around with them in a 308, and under 2500 fps impact velocities, they were lackluster.

You will be tracking a wounded elk for a long ways.

300 BLK full power is same same with 7.62x29. I wouldn't shoot an elk with that.. I wouldn't shoot a black bear with that.. Sure it would work... if you shot enough times or shot at archery ranges aka 10-50 yards

Glad it worked out for you but glad you’ve come to reconsider as well. I’ve shot a lot of pigs with that round/bullet and others similar. I’ve lost several, even on well placed shots. Definitely tons of better caliber options out there.

exppi

FNG
Those bullets don’t expand that great at those velocities. I messed around with them in a 308, and under 2500 fps impact velocities, they were lackluster.

You will be tracking a wounded elk for a long ways.
The 110 and 120 TAC TX are specifically built for 300 BLK velocities. They are supposedly built to expand down to 1350 fps.

The 110 and 120 TAC TX are specifically built for 300 BLK velocities. They are supposedly built to expand down to 1350 fps.
What you're saying is correct, but the wound channel will be lackluster in comparison to even smaller calibers using good lead core bullets. If I was absolutely going to use my 300blk to shoot an elk within 100 yards(I'm being generous), I would likely be using a 125 TMK and maybe the fusion/gold dot although I wish it was lighter than 150gr.

t_carlson

WKR
Marginal for elk, IMO.

As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations." If you have the self-control to pass on some shots, then it is certainly going to be adequate. However, elk don't come easy, and I don't like having to let one walk because I lack the gun to get it done.

I shot my bull this year with a 7mm Rem Mag and 160 Barnes TSX. I considered carrying a smaller gun, but chose the 7. When it came time for a shot, I was glad to have the power. I got into a herd and the wind was swirling a bit. I could tell they were getting ready to boil out of there, but weren't sure which direction my scent was coming from. The bull stopped behind a tree about 150 yards away with only the very front of his chest visible. I took the shot knowing that my bullet would have to break a lot of bone and that it was up to the task. I would have passed on that shot and maybe not have filled my tag with something lighter.

It is tough enough out there in the mountains, and I'm not going to handicap myself unnecessarily. Not sure why you would want to do that when there are so many better options around, but that is your personal choice I guess. I'm glad to see it worked for you and the elk didn't suffer.

freddyG

WKR
Wishful thinking. The ttsx and lrx are also built for 1800 and 1600 fps respectively, but barely open at those speeds.

sram9102

WKR
"Assuming 22-250 is using the heaviest controlled expansion bullet available, it probably would penetrate similarly to the 300BO with Barnes 120gr. But the 300BO would leave a much wider diameter wound channel, making it a far superior choice over the 22-250 for elk."

You're not going to get along with many here...

cgasner1

WKR
You lost me at “308 seems overkill at 25 yards” plus the 9 pages. Cliffs notes version?????

Dude trolls a bunch of people for a couple years talking about all these elk he has killed and how this will kill anything at that range. Few years later kills a bull only to then say that it’s his first bull and they are much bigger beast than a cow. And somewhere in the middle trash talks archery hunters about how inefficient a arrow kills elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exppi

FNG
What you're saying is correct, but the wound channel will be lackluster in comparison to even smaller calibers using good lead core bullets. If I was absolutely going to use my 300blk to shoot an elk within 100 yards(I'm being generous), I would likely be using a 125 TMK and maybe the fusion/gold dot although I wish it was lighter than 150gr.
The challenge is bullets built for other purposes lose the expansion threshold much quicker in 300BLK due to low starting velocity. TMK looks subpar when it hits below 1900 FPS. Even 30-30 bullets are losing ground around 1700. The 110 TAC TX has gel tests showing expansion at 300 yards.

I would love a purpose built bonded lead core bullet for 300BLK that was 110 or 120 grains. I don't know why Speer went with 150 for the Gold Dot.

The challenge is bullets built for other purposes lose the expansion threshold much quicker in 300BLK due to low starting velocity. TMK looks subpar when it hits below 1900 FPS. Even 30-30 bullets are losing ground around 1700. The 110 TAC TX has gel tests showing expansion at 300 yards.

I would love a purpose built bonded lead core bullet for 300BLK that was 110 or 120 grains. I don't know why Speer went with 150 for the Gold Dot.
Yes I’d agree about bullets designed for larger calibers. There are some images of the black hills 125TMK loading around 1900fps that show decent fragmentation. I would personally limit my range with a fragmenting bullet vs using a expanding mono at any range. That’s my bias. I assume @Formidilosus could probably give better insight of how low that particular TMK or other 300blk options might perform.

That would be great. I’ve seen an individual on ar15.com who downsized the 123 .310 gold dot to load in his blackout. But ever since I’ve read the .223 thread on this forum I’ve been made a believer and hardly hunt with my 300blk since I’m not limited by regs.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure a 300 blk COULD kill an elk, but so could a Buick LeSabre. It doesn't mean that it's the best tool for the job.

Bring enough gun or don't waste your time

OP
TracksWapiti
After this year’s hunt I upgraded to the same rifle in 450 Bushmaster per the shared thread. I also rounded up a compact stock to start my son with the 300 BLK and youth cow tags now that I know it will get the job done on elk with good shot presentation/placement.