Balancing sleep with time hunting

I will try one.

I sleep great in my bed. I am a napper and have been for all 32 years of my life. I could take an hour or two long nap everyday if I had the time to do so but once I am on the mountain...nope. I do a little better if someone else is with me. If not, it seems like every little noise wakes me up. I am not scared of the mountain or anything. Hiked in/out plenty of times in the dark alone but something about sleeping just doesnt work well for me.
Same here. Somehow a fly or ant crawls across my face every time I'm about to drift off, and then I'm awake again.

Naps. I actually fall asleep everytime I sit down. I can sit down with my pack on just leaning against a tree and I’ll be out in no time. Mostly because I sleep like crap every night, even at home. I much prefer to get up early and hike in so I can be there and ready before it gets light. I’ve only ever shot one elk late in the evening off a water tank. Everything else has always been before 11 am. At least on an archery hunt. I like to start slowly hunting my way back in the evening and be back to camp, eat, prepare for the next day and in bed by 9. It works out so much better for me on the mental game than trying to push to the very last minute of daylight, long hike back, then rush at camp trying to prep for the next day and get to bed.

OP
H
You may be overthinking. You gotta Sleep/camp somewhere. in the context of a large Elk terrainarea just pick a sensible spot and don’t worry if some elk might walk by it and be spooked by your scent when you are there.

An elk bumping into Hunter’s camp is just gonna skirt around and go about his business and not likely to scram 10 miles away.

If it is an elk hunt you’re talking about, what state are you already hunting elk this early? Utah?
Yes Utah. It's an antlerless tag, but I'm in the same area as when I'm archery hunting bulls. I may camp up there with the elk this weekend. The stormy weather has me thinking there's no way I'm going up and down that wet boulder field 2x a day

Double nicotine pouches FTW
Dude I'm trying to quit. I used to chew, then started the nicotine pouches because it's not as carcinogenic, but my usage went up 500%! I was a week in until Saturday, then gave in so I had to start over

Last edited:

Will_m

WKR
Yes Utah. It's an antlerless tag, but I'm in the same area as when I'm archery hunting bulls. I may camp up there with the elk this weekend. The stormy weather has me thinking there's no way I'm going up and down that wet boulder field 2x a day

Dude I'm trying to quit. I used to chew, then started the nicotine pouches because it's not as carcinogenic, but my used went up 500%! I was a week in until Saturday, then gave in so I had to start working over
I feel your pain. Those things are so much more potent than chew and way more addictive. Don’t have to worry about sleep because you’re too busy feeding that habit though.

OP
H
I feel your pain. Those things are so much more potent than chew and way more addictive. Don’t have to worry about sleep because you’re too busy feeding that habit though.
That's true. And man does it wreak havoc on my sleep. I was able to limit my chew usage to probably 3-4 days a week, just a couple times in the am. The nicotine pouches boosted that to most of the day every day and then noticed terrible sleep and increased inflammation, etc. I find that gum and sometimes a mint stuck in my lip can usually curb a craving well enough to avoid backsliding.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never been a "nap" guy, apparently even when I was a young tyke as well. I've always got to be active during the day. Probably ADHD. But ya, sounds like a typical archery elk season. Up early, to bed late, repeat.

CorbLand

WKR
Dude I'm trying to quit. I used to chew, then started the nicotine pouches because it's not as carcinogenic, but my usage went up 500%! I was a week in until Saturday, then gave in so I had to start over
I believe in you. Gave up chewing about 7 years ago. Extremely hard. Even typing this makes me want some Cope Long Cut Wintergreen.

Gum was my answer. I chew a pack of gum a day now.

intunegp

WKR
Not sure if it's a desirable alternative, but there are tons of caffeine and nootropic pouches on the market these days...still get something in your lip without the nicotine.

JDT1982

FNG
My personal preference is to truck camp at the trailhead to maximize sleep and take an afternoon siesta, but I can rack out anywhere with no problem except hotels.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
I even nap in the tree when doing all day sits for whitetails. season before last I climbed tree at 2, fell asleep, woke up at 4 and shot a buck that was feeding behind me. Just how it goes sometimes.

I do not do well on little sleep after a few days. Nap if able but no matter what that 4th morning is a bear to get up and I know I will have to sleep in. At that point I have an idea where some bedding areas are and will glass into them from a distance when

I don’t elk hunt yet however I hunt from September until January and work full time here in pa. What I do is I go to bed at a decent time. A lot of guys I hunt with party and drink. I do not. I also get used to running on little sleep. Everything comes to an end. Just a matter of getting through it

elkliver

WKR
I don’t elk hunt yet however I hunt from September until January and work full time here in pa. What I do is I go to bed at a decent time. A lot of guys I hunt with party and drink. I do not. I also get used to running on little sleep. Everything comes to an end. Just a matter of getting through it
Archery hunting, there is no going to bed at a decent time.... If you get back to camp at say...8:30 if lucky. fix dinner and crawl in bed at 9:30, Lucky to be asleep by 10:00 alarm goes off at 4. and that's in a perfect world. I love to hunt and i dont waste time with drinking.

Funny story, first elk hunt with a good buddy, set up camp, scout for elk night before opener. Get back, eat, head to bed. I ask what time we are rolling out of camp, it's about 10 pm. He says about 6 am. Don't you want to be out earlier than that I ask?

Nope,he says,we get 8 hours of sleep when we hunt he tells me. I start laughing, then realize he was serious! Didn't like hunting midday either.

Absolutely love the guy, great friend. We only occasionally hunt together, sometimes share an elk camp. He kills elk. But I enjoy the push and drive of focused elk hunting.

I started hunting hard M-F, coming home on weekends to spend time with family. Gives me a little rest and tend to avoid crowds and other hunters.

But when elk hunting, sleep is a commodity you grab when you can, at night, mid day on the mountain as needed, but it will almost always be in short supply.

croben

WKR
Might be time to look at carrying your sleep system and food with you. You’ll be carrying a little heavier pack, but that’ll give you 2-3 more hours of sleep per day and less miles spent just hiking in and out.

Split toe

WKR
Might be time to look at carrying your sleep system and food with you. You’ll be carrying a little heavier pack, but that’ll give you 2-3 more hours of sleep per day and less miles spent just hiking in and out.
Yup, exactly what I said. Will save time and miles, just going to be a little heavier.

Rich M

WKR
Here’s one: you have the weekend and the. It’s back to work on Monday. How many of y’all hunt Sunday evening until it’s dark, hike out and drive home vs. calling it a day in the early afternoon on Sunday?

As for myself, I’m calling it a day come around 1-2 PM most every time.
we hunt thru dark on Sundays most of the time. Back in the day we used to head home on Monday morning.

WCB

WKR
Take naps during the day...not sure why you aren't already. I hate sitting still when I could be hunting but I hunt better if I take breaks. Simple things like get to your morning spot 30minutes before shooting light? Take a nap...Eat lunch?...take a nap right after. Early season is obviously the worst time as the day is so long you can honestly take a couple naps a day and imo not effect your hunting effectiveness.

When I used to guide we would tell the clients it was time for our Union Guide Nap/break. First couple days you could tell they were hating it...by day 3 and 4...they were normally snoring before me. About 50% would comment towards the end of the trip.." I didn't know there was a guide's union". I'm not a liar so just said "there isn't" as I pulled my hat over my eyes.