Bad weather in good goat country

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on your hunt and taking an awesome goat! Those tenderloins are tough to beat IMO...enjoy!

$

muleman

WKR
Here is a great mount that showcases the pantaloons! This is what our friend Steve had done with the goat (we named Dale in the Shale ) that almost killed us both on Kodiak in '10. A mount like this is a great option if you don't quite have the space for a full body mount, but want to include the pantaloons. I have assured Steve that if he ever decides he doesn't want Dale anymore, that we will find a place for him at our house.

24D71F96-E7E6-4E6C-834D-DB18192216C7-90436-00001F1B3F962FCC_zps1c6529bc.jpg

Dale is roking the pantaloons and even has some motion. Is that a half or just behind the shoulder mount?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dale is roking the pantaloons and even has some motion. Is that a half or just behind the shoulder mount?

I think it's a half, but I could be wrong...I will try to get Steve to chime in with more specifics.

I think Dale is a brilliant compromise between saving space and still having the feel of the whole animal. If I am ever blessed with a goat larger than the rug Luke has, I would consider a mount like this. Otherwise I will be quite happy with couch throws and goat burgers!

OP
Buster

Buster

WKR
Two days since the scary climbing and big pack out, she's forgot all about the tough stuff and enjoying steaks. Becca, the hamburgers sound like a great plan. Do you add oil or fat? I like to add bacon grease or olive oil.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two days since the scary climbing and big pack out, she's forgot all about the tough stuff and enjoying steaks. Becca, the hamburgers sound like a great plan. Do you add oil or fat? I like to add bacon grease or olive oil.

I have a little fat added when we grind it, the equivalent of around 5%...most of it cooks out, but it does make the burgers stick together better. When I make burgers or meatballs I also add an egg to keep everything together.

6EB27860-1847-4EED-921D-2554D588C9A9-7447-000004A20FFDD28B.jpg

1D7B7F0A-DCEF-47E5-8BD4-9307CE706604-7447-000004A2099E5849.jpg

OP
Buster

Buster

WKR
Got him inspected and a couple measurements, 9 1/4 x 5 1/4, 7 years old. Not a monster, but a great representative billy for the area.

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
That mount looks beautiful, and a good goat too, measurements?
Thanks Buster. My taxidermist did an excellent job as it was pretty banged up after rolling down the shale quite a ways. I even gave him a tip as I was so pleased with how it turned out.

It was right at 10". I don't remember the diameter measurement's of the top of my head. He was a big bodied old billy. So big in fact the first form was too small and the taxidermist had to order another one and modify it.

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
SJ-AK, you been out scouting any yet?
My partner and I are heading to Kodiak on Friday, so all my goat scouting this year has been via maps and talking with other hunters. I am excited for the trip!

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
How many days are you planning to be in? Any goals for a goat?
My partner has never taken a goat, so my only real goal will be to get him a billy. Then I will see what I can find for myself. Although we just got word from our air taxi that the forecast for Friday and Saturday is not flyable, so the departure has already been pushed to Sunday! Being a private pilot myself I am pretty used to that routine, so no big deal. We are planning on a 7 day hunt.

OP
Buster

Buster

WKR
Awesome goat and awesome country! Congrats

Thanks, we're truly blessed to live where we do. If you drew a line on a map from our house to where she shot her goat, I'm guessing it would be less than 5 miles away (although getting to his hidden basin is no simple 5 mile stroll).