Bad experiences with stone glacier packs

I've had my SG X-curve frame and bags for quite a few years and only have had minor issues.

I had an issue where I broke the hip belt buckle while tightening down the pack loaded with a mule deer. More my fault then the pack but it was quickly replaced free of charge and all it took was an email to SG.
I also needed a new set of shoulder straps after this fall and those were also replaced free of charge.

Their customer service has been top notch every time I've had an issue.

WCB

WKR
I've had my SG pack for 8 or so years. Zero issues...I've hauled 3-4 fully deboned deer a year with it, hauled a tahr in NZ and Aoudad in Texas with it in shit terrain, including rifle, spotter, and all day hunting gear. Plus have carried many loads of 100lbs or so of corn (don't judge legally in the state I was hunting). No matter how you shake it anything over 70 ish pounds suck....100lbs is just stupid but easy walking and didn't want to make 2 trips.

get a slight squeak once in a while but spent enough time on horse back squeaks don't bother me. I actually have one webbing strap that is half way cut through and has been for 3 years...hasn't broke yet so again no complaints.

Xcurve frame and 5900 bag has been my main pack the past few seasons. Probably a dozen whitetails packed out with. My one complaint is that after using it I now have a kifaru frame and 5 or 6 bags collecting dust. The sg caries weight better for me. I'd have saved some money if I'd have tried the stone glacier first. 😂

Holocene

WKR
I have had a SG 40/56 on an X-curve frame for 6 years.

In year 3, after hundreds of miles and maybe 5-6 packouts of 80-100#, I realized that one of my carbon stays had cracked. SG customer service sent me two new carbon stays (the newer version) and were rather patient walking me through how to install them. This was cheaper and quicker than returning the bag to them since I had a hunt in a few days. All good.

The only other issue I've had with their packs: I strongly dislike the hip buckle -- which I'm hearing has been replaced? To tighten, I have to suck in my gut and get overly tight and then exhale. Cannot adjust after that. Really annoying!

I would argue that the SG packs are by design ultralight, minimalist, and built to go fast at the expense of some of the features (i.e. pockets, straps) and durability that you might find in Exo or Kifaru. To make a hunting rig comparison, think Lexus GX470 compared to Dodge 2500.

sr80

WKR
if you search enough you'll find people that have had issues with their kifaru packs as well. Sure the SG might feel light and not durable in hand, and sure there are a couple guys on here that have had issues but they're tougher and better than one might think by handling it. If you like it and it fits use it.

Jethro

WKR
Knock on wood, my 2013 Sky 5100 on original Krux still performing. Use it year round. Hauled some loads. Can't say any were 100lbs. Not sure I could carry 100lbs regardless if the pack could.

Won't say SG (or any manufacturer) is 100% problem free. I've seen a strap break on a SG frame. I've seen a strap tear off on a SG bino harness. For me personally the SG gaiter was a disappointment. But I love my pack and when I buy new it more than likely will be SG.

If you have to dig to find problems, it’s a good sign, especially with something as widely used as stone glacier.

Unless you just want a kifaru and won’t be content until you have one, you have a good proven pack system now, use it

If you dig enough, you can find bad experiences with any product, stone makes a solid product… the only reason I have not owned a stone is because I have never been in a position to try one, and the 26” frame gives me pause, a 25” is bad enough getting hung up in the brush, 24” is ideal for me, so I have hesitation buying one sight unseen, but besides that they are an attractive pack, and most seem to really like them

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve had an xcurve since 16, it has packed thousands of pounds. I notice on a Sept pack out the load was shifting a bit and I was having to adjust more, probably wouldn’t have noticed if it wasn’t 2 days of packing meat.
I stopped by SG in Nov and they found the adhesive on a stay had broken loose. They updated both stays with a newer version, gave me some extra shoulder straps since mine were pretty worn down, and offered to sow some tears that didn’t effect performance, no charge. Great experience and great packs.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve owned both Kifaru and SG. I’ve ripped both. Here’s the difference:

Kifaru pack had a full load of caribou, 80+ lbs. l lifted it off the ground by the shoulder strap and it ripped. No big. I know they’ll fix it and it was my fault for lifting it up that way. Boxed up and sent to Kifaru. A few days later I get a call. “Hey we can’t touch this thing. We have to send it to our sew house, those people aren’t hunters, and this thing has some blood stains on it. We’ll have to send it back to you, you’ll need to wash it and then send it back to us all clean.” WTF! Isn’t this a company that makes hunting packs? I’m not talking like rotten, caked on patches of nasty blood. I’m talking old, just soaked in stains that didn’t smell or weren’t anything other than normal use. They eventually fixed it, but it was a lame and unnecessary hassle.

SG pack was well used and abused. 8+ years of hard use. Dirty, bloody, worn ragged. I over stuffed it, forced the zipper and it ripped the fabric at the zipper sewing. I sent it back, dirty, blood stains and all, with a note saying this pack owes me nothing. Please call me so I can pay for this repair. They called me alright but only to tell me how cool it was that I had one of their first original packs, used the hell out of it, they loved the dirt and blood stains and how the thing had lived a long hard life. They rebuilt it, send it back and refused to charge me.

You make the call.

sr80

WKR
I’ve owned both Kifaru and SG. I’ve ripped both. Here’s the difference:

Kifaru pack had a full load of caribou, 80+ lbs. l lifted it off the ground by the shoulder strap and it ripped. No big. I know they’ll fix it and it was my fault for lifting it up that way. Boxed up and sent to Kifaru. A few days later I get a call. “Hey we can’t touch this thing. We have to send it to our sew house, those people aren’t hunters, and this thing has some blood stains on it. We’ll have to send it back to you, you’ll need to wash it and then send it back to us all clean.” WTF! Isn’t this a company that makes hunting packs? I’m not talking like rotten, caked on patches of nasty blood. I’m talking old, just soaked in stains that didn’t smell or weren’t anything other than normal use. They eventually fixed it, but it was a lame and unnecessary hassle.

SG pack was well used and abused. 8+ years of hard use. Dirty, bloody, worn ragged. I over stuffed it, forced the zipper and it ripped the fabric at the zipper sewing. I sent it back, dirty, blood stains and all, with a note saying this pack owes me nothing. Please call me so I can pay for this repair. They called me alright but only to tell me how cool it was that I had one of their first original packs, used the hell out of it, they loved the dirt and blood stains and how the thing had lived a long hard life. They rebuilt it, send it back and refused to charge me.

You make the call.
Boom. There ya go!

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
I love my SG no problems for me so much more comfortable to my body shape and way lighter. My Kifaru was to heavy and boxy for me but built like a tank.

Tradchef

WKR
I have zero complaints and they are right down the road from my house. I was a longtime kifaru user but wanted to keep my money local and supporting a company that has some values I can get behind. It just made good sense and the frame fit my body type a lot better overall. The guys that work in the shop are great to deal with and are always willing to help out. It’s also nice that they have people that use their gear stop by the shop with the animals they killed in the field if they are hunting out here or passing through. Two thumbs up in my book 🤙🤙🤙🤙

nobody

WKR
I've had two SG Krux Evo frames that have had the shoulder straps come unstitched from the frames while hunting. Each time I had 35-40 pounds in the pack when the strap broke. I was actually hunting the same canyon both times, so maybe that canyon is bad luck :ROFLMAO: I killed a buck one of the mornings. That canyon is about 5 miles and 3500 feet of elevation from the truck, I was able to rig up a solution to get off the mountain each time, but it really sucked with a buck on my back.

Custom service paid for shipping each way, fixed each frame without charging me, and were extremely easy to work with. I use the packs hard, I've probably packed 10 elk and 15 deer between the two frames, but the failures are in the back of my head a bit now. I am not ready to switch from Stone Glacier, I have loved everything else about them. I had a Kifaru for a few years and it wasn't for me.

I've tried an X-Curve frame and it just didn't fit, I think I need straight stays. I've thought about going to an X-Curve for added durability and swapping to straight stays and that might be what I end up doing.

View attachment 510597

View attachment 510598
Call them up and tell them that, they'll take care of you. I use the X Curve frame sheet but they swapped in the straight stays from the Krux frame. No extra charge from them.

schmalzy

WKR
Happy SG user here. They fit me well and have much lighter options than Kifaru for my uses. SG customer interface and service has been a lot better for me; easier to buy, ships right away and customer service awesome. Kurt hooked me up when I needed a sling and they weren’t ready. Just cool guys to do business with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
I've read every single comment and I can't thank you guys enough for your input. I called them recently because they sent me the wrong size pants and they refunded me shipping costs and said the right size pants would be on my way by the end of the day. Like on guy said, if I have to dig deep with their packs it's probably because they are doing things right. Looking forward to my first pack out with it. Thank you guys again!

sr80

WKR
Ive been an SG customer for a long time, and really am surprised at their customer service. Recently with an M7 pant purchase and exchange process multiple times. Had a squeaky shoulder strap on my terminus and Kurt called me personally. They really treat you like you're an old friend at a small mom and pop store down the road. I couldnt be happier with every interaction ive had. I cant say the same for other companies ive dealt with.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Ive been an SG customer for a long time, and really am surprised at their customer service. Recently with an M7 pant purchase and exchange process multiple times. Had a squeaky shoulder strap on my terminus and Kurt called me personally. They really treat you like you're an old friend at a small mom and pop store down the road. I couldnt be happier with every interaction ive had. I cant say the same for other companies ive dealt with.
That's what everyone has been saying about them so thanks for your input. I did call them about an order they messed up and the guy kept apologizing they were super cool. Can't wait to use my pack. Thanks for sharing!

nobody

WKR
I’ll add, they really are first rate with customer service. I ordered a new bag on Monday (February 6th) after looking at bags at the expo. I have been using an Evo 40/56 bag for all last season but wanted something different (not a fan of the spotting scope pocket). I called and got Ryan, and he got me hooked up with a Sky 5900 bag with no lid (and gave me a discount since the lid wasn’t included). I told him I was leaving on a cruise on Friday and asked if he could ship it so it’ll come after I got home. He told me if I paid the minimum $11.99 shipping he would make sure I got the pack before I left so it didn’t sit on my porch for 10 days. 5 minutes after, I had a shipping confirmation. And the next morning, the pack was delivered. Less than 24 hours and their team had my bag in my hands from Bozeman to central Utah. I’ve bought a fair amount of stuff from them over the years, and every purchase and interaction has been the same. Nobody can hold a candle to their service OR their product, period. I’m a customer for life.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
I’ll add, they really are first rate with customer service. I ordered a new bag on Monday (February 6th) after looking at bags at the expo. I have been using an Evo 40/56 bag for all last season but wanted something different (not a fan of the spotting scope pocket). I called and got Ryan, and he got me hooked up with a Sky 5900 bag with no lid (and gave me a discount since the lid wasn’t included). I told him I was leaving on a cruise on Friday and asked if he could ship it so it’ll come after I got home. He told me if I paid the minimum $11.99 shipping he would make sure I got the pack before I left so it didn’t sit on my porch for 10 days. 5 minutes after, I had a shipping confirmation. And the next morning, the pack was delivered. Less than 24 hours and their team had my bag in my hands from Bozeman to central Utah. I’ve bought a fair amount of stuff from them over the years, and every purchase and interaction has been the same. Nobody can hold a candle to their service OR their product, period. I’m a customer for life.
That's definitely a good experience you had with them! Sucks to hear you don't like the evo because it's the one I got 😣 Thanks for sharing!