Bad experiences with stone glacier packs

Jon_G

WKR
Anyone have a truly bad experience with products made from stone glacier? More specifically their packs?

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I had a load lifter tear off the frame, followed rapidly by the shoulder strap separating from the frame, and a yardsale of my spotter and rifle that were both strapped to the pack. Gun and glass got some pretty good dings and I was kinda screwed as I had a half mile to go to the truck. I had a whole mule deer doe in quarters plus scraps, one days worth of equipment, rifle and glass. Maybe 100 lbs total. The setup had hauled out well over 20 loads of 100#s for many miles prior, so I can't say it's a regular thing. SG customer service was great. But it made me wary to say the least.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
I had a load lifter tear off the frame, followed rapidly by the shoulder strap separating from the frame, and a yardsale of my spotter and rifle that were both strapped to the pack. Gun and glass got some pretty good dings and I was kinda screwed as I had a half mile to go to the truck. I had a whole mule deer doe in quarters plus scraps, one days worth of equipment, rifle and glass. Maybe 100 lbs total. The setup had hauled out well over 20 loads of 100#s for many miles prior, so I can't say it's a regular thing. SG customer service was great. But it made me wary to say the least.
Thanks for your input! I have a new evo 40/56 that was given to me for Xmas. Was wondering if I should pull the trigger and use or sell it for a kifaru. Haven't tried those either but there doesn't seem to be much complaint on them. If I'm not mistaking I think the only thing people dislike is that they are heavy. The evo 40/56 feels really nice though and looks great!

I've had a Kifaru lifter strap and shoulder strap both come off as well. In addition to a broken lateral stay. They're made of cloth, not vibranium. Any pack will wear out eventually if they actually get used.
Having used both, I'm not convinced the Kifaru is more durable. They're certainly a lot heavier.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I own packs from each company
If you find the SG comfortable, run it. I have hauled some giant loads of meat with the SG. The kif is built like a tank. It's heavy relative to the SG, but feels more solid. And it really comes into its own when loaded down with meat. But on the day to day, the SG is more comfortable.. Mind you, this is for me. I'm 6'4, 200#s. And I tell my friends I'll carry as much weight as they can put on me, but I'm only making one trip.. I'd also say the preferences I have are not significant. I have friends with Exo's and have swapped mid pack out to see how they run, and I'd give them a go if I didn't already have more packs than I have backs. Turns out if you have a nice pack they'll all carry the load, but after 80#s it's gonna suck no matter what.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
I own packs from each company
If you find the SG comfortable, run it. I have hauled some giant loads of meat with the SG. The kif is built like a tank. It's heavy relative to the SG, but feels more solid. And it really comes into its own when loaded down with meat. But on the day to day, the SG is more comfortable.. Mind you, this is for me. I'm 6'4, 200#s. And I tell my friends I'll carry as much weight as they can put on me, but I'm only making one trip.. I'd also say the preferences I have are not significant. I have friends with Exo's and have swapped mid pack out to see how they run, and I'd give them a go if I didn't already have more packs than I have backs. Turns out if you have a nice pack they'll all carry the load, but after 80#s it's gonna suck no matter what.
Great input from all of you thank you so much.

Thanks for your input! I have a new evo 40/56 that was given to me for Xmas. Was wondering if I should pull the trigger and use or sell it for a kifaru. Haven't tried those either but there doesn't seem to be much complaint on them. If I'm not mistaking I think the only thing people dislike is that they are heavy. The evo 40/56 feels really nice though and looks great!

Ive only had one kifaru frame but the only aspect about it I preferred was the belt straps could be loosened under tension without unbuckling. I believe SG has changed the belts so this isn't the case anymore. I prefer SG for every other aspect, comfort with and without loads, weight, bag options, etc.

S.Clancy

WKR
I've haven't used a SG alot, but I have a yr plus with the Kifaru frame and can compare it to my EXO frame I used since 2014. I wouldn't say the K is the apex of durability. It is the apex of price. It's a nice frame, but I will prob be 1 and done with it. Depending on how people like this new K4 EXO is coming out with, I may sell it to fund that. In conclusion, I wouldn't trade your SG out for a K, unless you can try them out and they fit you really really well.

madcalfe

WKR
i have a kifaru hoodlum on a tactical frame and a stone glacier
my preference is the stone glacier for 7 day hunts and the kifaru for 10+ day hunts
the stone glacier is more comfier and doesn't rock back and forth as much but once there's 90+ lbs in the bag i think kifaru is a little better
my kifaru is also noticeably heavier and i find it has more sway in it which i hate but when your packing heavy loads the kifaru feels good.
ive also switched out all the foam padding in the straps and hip belts in both packs to 1" thickness made a huge difference. I don’t think either of them have any major downfalls. Whatever is comfier for you run with it

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Evo 40/56 with or without Evo lid and have had zero issues. I have it attached to an original Krux frame and had no problems with compatibility or fitment. Super tough, lightweight, and comfortable.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I have ran SG packs for 5 years. All my hunting buddies run them now as well. Several guys have transferred over from Kifaru and Exo. I would not recommend anything else than a SG. Most importantly their customer service is second to none. Those guys answer the phone on the first ring and wont stop until you are taken care of 100%. I have worked with Kurt directly on items and he gives out his cell number to make sure you can get ahold of him even when he is not in the office.

JStol5

WKR
Love my Stone Glacier. One of the shoulder straps has a squeak that pisses me off but aside from that I probably wouldn’t change a single thing.

CM

WKR
I've had two SG Krux Evo frames that have had the shoulder straps come unstitched from the frames while hunting. Each time I had 35-40 pounds in the pack when the strap broke. I was actually hunting the same canyon both times, so maybe that canyon is bad luck :ROFLMAO: I killed a buck one of the mornings. That canyon is about 5 miles and 3500 feet of elevation from the truck, I was able to rig up a solution to get off the mountain each time, but it really sucked with a buck on my back.

Custom service paid for shipping each way, fixed each frame without charging me, and were extremely easy to work with. I use the packs hard, I've probably packed 10 elk and 15 deer between the two frames, but the failures are in the back of my head a bit now. I am not ready to switch from Stone Glacier, I have loved everything else about them. I had a Kifaru for a few years and it wasn't for me.

I've tried an X-Curve frame and it just didn't fit, I think I need straight stays. I've thought about going to an X-Curve for added durability and swapping to straight stays and that might be what I end up doing.

pack2.jpg

pack1.JPG

md126

WKR
Never had a bad experience with anything from SG.

And if for some reason you do, their customer service is absolutely second to none.

Stick with the Evo 40/56