Backup bow question

rhendrix

WKR
Ok gents, I picked up a 2013 Spyder Turbo on a trade for my Carbon Element shortly after buying my 2014 Carbon Spyder Turbo. I ended up getting the CST setup and tuned before I ever received the Spyder Turbo in the mail (was shipped standard post and was delayed by almost a week and a half). I love shooting my CST and have no interest in even fooling with another bow. This obviously presents a problem though, since I now have two bows, and don't want the Spyder Turbo to just sit in the garage and gather dust.

My logical side is telling me that having a backup bow is a good idea and that I should just set it up and keep it hanging in the garage for a rainy day. But what's the point in having a bow you never shoot just hanging there? Not having a backup bow made me lose several days of hunting in 2013, but that could've been remedied with an extra set of limbs. Not really sure what i should do here. If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

OR Archer

WKR
You can always set it up for a target bow ie 3D. You can gear the accessories toward that application. This will give you an avenue to play around with different concepts without affecting your main hunting rig.

I have a second bow ready to go. Mainly because I am a lefty and find a bow ready to go can be difficult. I might change if I was right handed but I think having something you are familiar with is good. Maybe sell that and get something a little cheaper like a alphamax. You might sell for the cost of the entire set up. Good luck.

MattB

WKR
I try to have 2 bow set up as closely to one another as possible for hunting - same sights and relative geometry (ATA/BH) for the peep/sight relationship.

Think about the guys you associate with also. My backup bow is adjustable enough in the field to fit all the guys on the trip, so we only bring one for everybody. Several times I've had guys borrow bows in the thick of hunting season when theirs crap out.

Jimbob

WKR
I just can't justify the price of having a second bow sitting there. This year my bow broke at the start of the season and it was a bummer. I was moose hunting but only had a calf tag so i was pretty much just out there practicing calling, my dad gave me his bow so I was the shooter anyways.

However if I was going on some big dollar hunts and traveling then it wouldn't be a question to have a back-up bow with me.

LaGriz

WKR
Here is my combo,
The Darker top bow is my prime weapon with osage limbs and is 51# @ 27". The lighter one has a tripple-cressent riser bamboo footed-limbs and is 47# at 26 3/4"
Both Big Horns shoot the same arrows well. I have used one with cabon arrows in a 3-D shoot, and then switched to wood arrows/other bow with nearlythe same score. The more plain osage bow with the woodies is slightly more quiet than the other. I also like the the higher grip on this unit. I pack a stringer and a well-shot and rigged string that will fit either 60" bow. Love the light in-hand weight and the simple nature of the trad bow. On those magic days, when it all comes together....you have to love watching that arrow go right where you are looking!

Good Luck with your back bow. If I when shot a wheel bow I would want one in camp or back at the truck.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Picked up a used smackdown pro and a tommy hogg single pin to throw on it from Archery talk, gonna take OR's advice and play around with different setups for 3D and hopefully use it for the Total Archery Challenge in San Antonio this year.

I think it's a good idea to have a back up bow. Sometimes it seems stupid to just have it sit there. But can you imagine the day when you need a back up bow?

I was on a hunt this year. And I had a freak fall/ bow hit ground. Didn't think anything of it until I looked down and my string was nearly cut thru from a rock.

Sure all you need is a new string. But having a bow ready to hunt allows you to not loose any time. Puttin a new string on would need time to shoot bow and tune bow properly. Having one ready to go can't hurt.

kodiakfly

WKR
Why does it have to just sit there? I have numerous bows hanging in my gear room. I shoot them all. Not as much as my #1 and #2 bows but I still shoot them. Heck, I've got bows that are 20 years old that I still put an arrow through from time to time.

Shoot it for 3D, but I think you answered your own question with it being good to have a back up, but that doesn't mean it has to collect dust just because it's not your primary bow.

KMT

WKR
I keep a backup bow at base camp. My hunting partner and I have the same draw length. So, if one of us needs the bow, it's ready to go by simply adjusting the sight. And we don't have a lost day or more of hunting because of a bow problem.

Whisky

WKR
Two years ago I had to press my bow back at base camp and fix a few things from a fall. I was missing the target completely at 20 yds. Now and forever I will always have a backup in the pickup ready to go. Lost time and more importantly confidence in my equipment is not fun on a hunt.

cordini

FNG
Picked up a used smackdown pro and a tommy hogg single pin to throw on it from Archery talk, gonna take OR's advice and play around with different setups for 3D and hopefully use it for the Total Archery Challenge in San Antonio this year.

Smart choice.....You've got it if you ever need it.

I have always had a backup bow and shoot it along side my regular bow. I actually don't consider either to be a backup, both are just as capable. I set them up with the same anchor point but they can have different sights and quivers and arrows. I actually have a 3rd bow hanging at the house ready to be put into service with the addition of a quiver.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Always have a back up when hunting away from the convenience of home.
I shoot them both all year long. When I am away hunting I gave them both along with enough archery tools to tear either one down.
It helps too when away from home if you do all your own tuning.
If you don't tune your own gear, you had better get them both tuned and set before season.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thought I would jump on an old thread rather than start a new one... :)

Backup bow: Exact same draw weight as your current bow, or do you drop 5-10lbs of draw weight?

kodiakfly

WKR
Thought I would jump on an old thread rather than start a new one... :)

Backup bow: Exact same draw weight as your current bow, or do you drop 5-10lbs of draw weight?

Why have a different weight? But at the same time, if you practice with your back up bow, you should be able to shoot it comfortably no matter what weight it's at.