Backstrap Explosion

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
After taking a great California mule deer buck (I’ll post a story later), I wanted to try a few new things with the meat. Later I’m going to try cooking one of the front quarters whole but I decided to start with one of the backstraps.

If you’ve ever seen or cooked a bacon explosion, this will look familiar.

Started by “unrolling” the backstrap. Essentially cut lengthwise to open up the backstrap. By the time it was done it was about 3x the width and much thinner.
F870AC31-8FCF-4A41-B865-BFAC8A852E29.jpeg

Once that was done, I set it aside and made a bacon blanket with thick cut bacon, seasoned liberally with Lawry’s seasoned salt.
BC8D128C-64E0-4D02-A1C9-C824051C6E9C.jpeg

Lay the backstrap on top of the blanket seasoned with - you guessed it - more Lawry’s. And some pepper.
556FBB79-5058-4BA9-AE3E-7CF1C41549A3.jpeg

Then it’s time to add whatever you want to stuff it with. I went with jalapeños, garlic, mozzarella cheese, and more bacon.
E4719E74-102F-4F9C-9498-81C0E0708239.jpeg

Then roll it up tight and season with more Lawry’s and pepper.
B61523A8-0377-4F20-9974-28C739B75F72.jpeg

Would have loved to put it on the smoker but I was short on time. Into the oven at 400 degrees until internal temp readings told me it was done. Slice and serve.
D4776CBB-376D-4F18-A1B2-5F1DD9CD55F2.jpeg

It really turned out great! The backstrap was cooked a little more than I would have liked to get the bacon up to temperature, but was still extremely tender.

Next time I’ll leave time to put in on the smoker and probably do more cheese, jalapeños, etc. on the inside.

See, I actually enjoy eating backstrap so I can't imagine doing something like this to the best cut of meat on an animal. This recipe probably works for those people who absolutely despise the flavor of game meat.
Maybe its like putting a set of fake hangers on a already good looking woman?

The best cut of meat, but wait there's more. For $99 a month it can be even better 😆

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
See, I actually enjoy eating backstrap so I can't imagine doing something like this to the best cut of meat on an animal. This recipe probably works for those people who absolutely despise the flavor of game meat.
I “actually enjoy” backstrap as well. A lot. I also believe there’s more than one way to cook a particular cut of meat. I like backstrap seared, grilled, chicken fried, in tacos, on sandwiches, in fajitas, in steak fried rice, an half dozen other ways I can’t think of right now, and now…wrapped in bacon.

My condolences if you go through life thinking there’s only one way to cook a particular cut of meat.

Sled

WKR
I “actually enjoy” backstrap as well. A lot. I also believe there’s more than one way to cook a particular cut of meat. I like backstrap seared, grilled, chicken fried, in tacos, on sandwiches, in fajitas, in steak fried rice, an half dozen other ways I can’t think of right now, and now…wrapped in bacon.

My condolences if you go through life thinking there’s only one way to cook a particular cut of meat.
028c1e6f07a322561d3f317460cb8526.jpg

bsnedeker

WKR
Lol....so would you take a filet mignon or a perfect bone-in ribeye and rip it apart and stuff it full of cream cheese? Because that is exactly what you are doing when you do this to a venison backstrap....only it's MUCH worse than that because you have to work so much harder to put a venison backstrap in your freezer.

I experiment with venison a lot. I play around with shanks and different techniques for roasts. I've tried a bunch of different things with organ meat and tongue .There is literally no way to improve a backstrap....salt, pepper, grill to MR and eat the thing.

But yeah homey, feel free to ruin your venison any way you want. If you are addicted to cream cheese and feel the need to stuff everything full of it knock yourself out. But if finding out that other people find your taste disgusting and wasteful bothers you maybe you shouldn't be sharing your "techniques" on the internet.

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
But yeah homey, feel free to ruin your venison any way you want. If you are addicted to cream cheese and feel the need to stuff everything full of it knock yourself out. But if finding out that other people find your taste disgusting and wasteful bothers you maybe you shouldn't be sharing your "techniques" on the internet.
OK…homey.

What a troll. 🙄

ODB

WKR
Lawry's is dog shit, just put put ketchup on it next time🤣

Looks great man, except the Lawry's.

Agree wirth Lawrys on meat, but to cook shrimp its good. It's got too much celery in it for meat.

JOhnny's has been my to-go meat seasoning for along time,.

LostArra

WKR
Stuff it with chorizo, breakfast sausage, smoked venison sausage over an open flame, cooks the bacon fast, venison slow View attachment 486929View attachment 486930

^^^^^You can always count on Texans for great grilling

I'm also a fan of recipe variety mainly because all backstrap is not a marbled beef ribeye even though it shares a location on the animal. I love a good loin grilled medium rare but depending on the animal there are other great cooking methods. Sometimes it's a necessity. The bull I killed last year was just plain tough in spite of ideal field dressing conditions. Braised shanks were the best cut. The last two chunks of backstrap were made into jerky. Sue me.

My elk hunting buddy grinds his entire elk, backstraps, tenderloins and all. Go figure. Of course he also raises cattle for his steaks.

Backstraps make awesome jerky! I do like backstrap cooked over the red oak fire medium rare also.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
tAu5e5.gif

Just another heart attack, Bob!