Backpacking/hunting pack?

What is a good pack for some 2-4 day hiking and backpacking trips, looking at the kifaru 44 mag… also want to use it for hunting

kickemall

WKR
I think the Kifaru Kutthroat is about perfect for what you’re looking for. Most Scheel’s carry them for 500 bucks so you could try it on without ordering it.

Marble

WKR
What is a good pack for some 2-4 day hiking and backpacking trips, looking at the kifaru 44 mag… also want to use it for hunting
I have the 44 mag. Wife uses it and it's one of my favorite packs they make. They also make the Bedlam, which I'm trying to get right now.

They are pricey. But for me, they fit and I can carry 100+ pounds and not wreck my back.

You have to buy a frame and a pack. By the time you get the pack and any pockets, you'll be close $900.

One negative about the pack, it's fairly heavy. I think 3.5 pounds for just the pack.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Hedge Row

FNG
Check out the HPG Ute or Ute Light if you want to shed some extra weight. Great products and their comfort is second to none in my opinion. Their suspension is really unique and I love carrying any of their bags for extended periods comfortably.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
What did I start 🤣
You started a landslide of diverse opinions, some sound and based on facts and experience and some produced by fanboys of vendor "x" or "y" as that is all they have to compare from or they just like pumping that brand. Also, this is a regular topic and has been 'litigated' to death on various forums here and across the web.

Which in no way suggests you are off base by asking. Never hurts to ask!

I am happy with my SG sky archer 6200. That series has been improved since I bought mine as well. Previously used a Mystery Ranch pack and for me the SG is just 'better' all around. But I am no gear expert, just another hunter doing his thing.

Load shelf is a plus in whatever packs you start zeroing in on.

Be awesome if you share what you end up with and a review of how you liked it or not.
Suggest thinking of packs to get you deep for the back pack hunt, and good to use as a day pack and meat hauler when you get there. Meeting those criteria you should have something good for the nonhunting backpack trips as well.

addendum. Just saw you posted you want a external frame pack? What is the consideration for that? Just wondering, as I have not used an external frame for overnight pack trips nor hunting in many years and have not missed them.

Last edited:
OP
Joshuajosh
Ended up with a kifaru Stryker xl and 24” duplex lite frame, going to try it through this season and a backpacking trip coming up in September

Get something that fits you well in 4000+ cubic inch. My favorite bag is 7800ci because I can day hunt with it and fit a whole deer on pack out. But I can also go for 7+ days with the same bag. As long as you don’t have a bunch of bulky gear, you really don’t need much more than a 4000-5000ci bag if you never plan on going more than 4 days.
I always opt for a larger bag than needed.

As far as brands go. Pick whatever feels good if you can try one on. If you can’t, I don’t feel you can go wrong with any of the top players.

Mod Mort

FNG
It's better to buy a little larger in space and not need it than buy what you currently need and not fit everything. The Kifaru 44mag or Gnargali would be good options. The Kutthroat could also work, but it could limit your future if you decide to do some longer backpacking trips or larger hunts.

jbrun63

FNG
I have a mystery ranch sawtooth 45. Sometimes I wish I had a bigger pack but it always gets the job done.

Anyone have recommendations for a light weight pack (civilian) that can double as an assault pack for SERE/RECCE? (Multicam) I'm new to the gear stuff but heard civilian packs see innovation faster than the military packs.