Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

Big.lou

FNG
Appreciate the honest review! Used a less than perfect option my first hunt out west, and have been waiting for your second update to inform my next purchase. Looking forward to the individual vids of each pack!

sivart

WKR
Zach, is the sitka pack bag material quieter than the other packs? Or maybe I should ask, which pack was the quietest?

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zach, is the sitka pack bag material quieter than the other packs? Or maybe I should ask, which pack was the quietest?

To see the exact amount refer to part 1 of the review. I show the DB scale in the video. I love the Sitka backpack and I don't think you can go wrong with it was close to the quietest and I think the zippers were the quietest but like I said for the exact numbers and results check out part 1.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I sure wish the Sitka pack came in solid colors...

Nice review Zach. I enjoyed part 1 and 2
Same! And awesome, I'm glad that you enjoyed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Zach, do you think you could possibly take a picture of the frames next to each other both for the height perspective and for the curvature perspective?

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zach, do you think you could possibly take a picture of the frames next to each other both for the height perspective and for the curvature perspective?
Yes I can I will need to wait for some of the packs to return as they have been sent back to the companies for inspection.

Samsam

FNG
I will be testing some of the leading packs against each other. I have several tests lines up to simulate hunting and backpacking scenarios.

I Will Be Testing:
  • KIFARU
  • KUIU
  • Stone Glacier
  • Exo
  • Eberlee Stock
  • Initial Ascent
  • Mystery Ranch
  • Sitka
  • Seek Outside
I hope to do a two part test on the packs. Part One: Tests, features, specs, cost etc. Part Two: 5+ day trip taking each pack on a trip and reviewing its performance after the trip. If the people I am with or myself don't harvest on the trip, I will use that pack until I am able to have an actual pack out with it.
I hope to do a two part test on the packs. Part One: Tests, features, specs, cost etc. Part Two: 5+ day trip taking each pack on a trip and reviewing its performance after the trip. If the people I am with or myself don't harvest on the trip, I will use that pack until I am able to have an actual pack out with it.

***Update 8/5/2020*** The Backpack Showdown - Part 1

Please let me know in the comments:
  • Questions you have on each specific pack.
  • Tests you would like to see performed.
  • Anything else that comes to mind.
Thank you!

2/10/21 Edit: Posting both video reviews in this lead post so you don't have to dig for them

PART I

PART II
I will be testing some of the leading packs against each other. I have several tests lines up to simulate hunting and backpacking scenarios.

I Will Be Testing:
  • KIFARU
  • KUIU
  • Stone Glacier
  • Exo
  • Eberlee Stock
  • Initial Ascent
  • Mystery Ranch
  • Sitka
  • Seek Outside

Thank you!

2/10/21 Edit: Posting both video reviews in this lead post so you don't have to dig for them

PART I

PART II
Basically been looking for a video like this for the last year, it’s seems like everyone makes the ‘best’ backpack, which is maybe true? Sometimes it would be nice if we didn’t have options then you wouldn’t have to worry you made the wrong choice.

Trial153

WKR
The best part is there pretty much isnt a bad choice when you stick with the with the proven players in the backpack industry. Compared to the junk I had start bowhunt hunting with years ago we are living in the golden age for gear.
Great reviews and feed back from the companies.

I Will Be Testing:
  • KIFARU
  • KUIU
  • Stone Glacier
  • Exo
  • Eberlee Stock
  • Initial Ascent
  • Mystery Ranch
  • Sitka
  • Seek Outside

Thank you!

PART I

PART II
The Badlands packs are pretty nice.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've always had issues with Badlands zippers. But that was a while ago. Do you know if they've improved this?
I think they went with a slightly larger zipper. Key word is "think" ha ha don't quote that.

Put 60 pound sand bag in the new K3 and hiked 2 miles. Initial impression is good. I had only one shim in the lumber and had no slipping. I would say it now feels a lot more like the k2. Huge improvement from original k3. Again I need more time and more weight to say this is it, but past first test. Note: last k3 slipped bad in first mile with same weight so I’m comparing apples to apples on this first 2 mile test.

What the fix did was lock in the lumbar pad from moving up and down. Zach showed it in part 1 with his hand how the lumbar pad would slide up and down about 1-1/2” - 2”.

If it continues to perform like it did it will be my #1 pack going into season.

One thing to note with Exo packs: by design they use a much softer duel density foam. Also they use a stretch fabric one the lumbar. Due to these factors I don’t think it will ever stick like say a Stone Glacier, however sometimes the stone is so sticky it can leave your back red and sometimes sore if the lumbar pad is directly contacting skin or with thin base layer. So like all things in life there are trade offs.

90 lbs load update with Exo K3 frame: not gonna lie very similar results to Zach. Once I jumped up to some real weight (90lbs) the bottoms of frame/lumbar seemed to really dig into me. It was as if all the pressure was concentrated in this one spot. Unfortunately, this is a deal breaker for me as the goal is to come out heavy. It was a pleasure carrying up to 60lbs. Note: I still think this has something to do with the lumbar being to soft.