Backpack recommendation for white tail saddle hunting

Jg48

FNG
Plan is to walk in (up to) 2ish miles with 3-4 xop 3-step climbing sticks, tethrd predator platform, my bow. And walk out with all that plus a deer.

What’s a good pack?

I like kifaru brand and am in to supporting American made company, but not a must if there’s other packs that fit the bill.

Thanks

Lowg08

WKR
I use a stone glacier 5900 in bivy mode. 4300. The packs are made in the USA. it can compress down great. I saddle hunt exclusively. Except for when I sit on the ground here and there.

OP
J

Jg48

FNG
I think the Kifaru Stryker XL is a pretty solid saddle bag. Also the MR pop ups might be worth checking out as well.
Stryker xl is definitely on my list, but I’m a new hunter, and while I prefer the “buy once cry once” approach, after getting everything at once (clothes, sticks, saddle etc) price point needs to be considered.

Would MR pop up 38 be capable of hauling a full deer (plus everything I haul in) out?

Thanks for the replies everyone

Stryker xl is definitely on my list, but I’m a new hunter, and while I prefer the “buy once cry once” approach, after getting everything at once (clothes, sticks, saddle etc) price point needs to be considered.

Would MR pop up 38 be capable of hauling a full deer (plus everything I haul in) out?

Thanks for the replies everyone
Shop kifaru moving sale. 30% off a Stryker bag in coyote brown or 35% off multicam.
frame still full price

Kurts86

WKR
The Popup series is enough to haul out a deer but it was pretty overloaded last year for me with a deer and a 21 lb summit climber. The pop series is great but it’s carry capacity drops off much harder than a full sized frame pack between 50-75 lbs. A quartered out deer usually weighs 50-60 lbs so you don’t have much capacity for other gear.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
The EXO K31800 has worked great for me while saddle hunting....as well as other types of hunting! Carries all of my equipment well and has the structure to haul out a whitetail with the platform, saddle, etc... It is narrow enough to be concealed while hanging in a tree while hunting. Well worth the investment. Good Luck!

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
The last two seasons I used an Exo 1800 with lid. The bag and frame have been great.

Before the exo I had a MR pop up 28 and it did not even compare in comfort when carrying weight. Shoulder straps and hip belt are not in the same league as exo and kifaru

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a Badlands Diablo Dos the past 2 seasons. Plenty of room to haul everything in, however no meat shelf and would have had to put the meat in the bag if I had packed out vs dragged. This year I plan to use an EXO Gear system. I currently have the 4800, but may look into getting an 1800 for the day trips vs cinching down the 4800.

Matt G.

WKR
I use a popup 38 and love it. It is compact enough in tree. I have not packed out meat. I am usually close enough to car for drag but I would not hesitate to pack out with it.

With your style n I am not sure how you plan to pack your sticks. I have the beast sticks and pack in load shelf with platform.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Xerute

FNG
Honestly comes down to if you want to only buy American and what deals you can get. Can't go wrong with Kifaru, Exo Mountain, Stone Glacier, or even Kuiu though they are not American made. I personally went with Kuiu because I got a 3600 and 6000 bag with the frame and suspension for a cheaper price then I could have gotten a single bag setup from the other brands.

OP
J

Jg48

FNG
I use a popup 38 and love it. It is compact enough in tree. I have not packed out meat. I am usually close enough to car for drag but I would not hesitate to pack out with it.

With your style n I am not sure how you plan to pack your sticks. I have the beast sticks and pack in load shelf with platform.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I have xop 3 step. Without having the bag in hand it’s hard to tell exactly what I’ll do but was thinking my platform in bag or strapped to the back, and 2 sticks on each side of the bag held in place by straps that cinch bag close to frame. That way I’d leave the meat shelf open hopefully for meat. I’ll also likely be able to drag to truck in most scenarios this year but wanted to option to quarter and pack out. Heavily leaning toward pop up 38. Going to see what kind of mem day sales I can find.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Mystery Ranch Mule or Cabinet. Both work well as day packs and both are set up to pack an animal out.

tracker12

WKR
I just use a Camelback Striker. Perfect size for sticks and platform. I don't use a pack for meat hauling when whitetail hunting.