Backpack Hunting tripod

tredell17

FNG
I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so figured I should start my own.

I'm looking to get my first tripod for hunting (glassing and shooting). I'm looking at the Spartan Ascent w/ Davros Pro Gen 2, the RRS Ascend and the RRS TFCT 14L. They all seem to be fairly close in height and weight.

Being from Canada the Spartan seems to be the easier and cheaper tripod to purchase. I'm not against paying a premium as long as it means I only have to do it once. Will the Davros gen 2 head move/slip when shooting from it?

I don't expect to use a rifle over 10lbs with the tripod (my hunting rifle is an 8lbs 6.5 creedmoor). I'm ~5'11, I think each of the tripods will be high enough to shoot from various positions - but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have experience with these 3 tripods?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you looked at the Revic Stabilizer Backpacker Tripod?
  • ARCA dovetail with 2 included ARCA rails, pairs with optics or Gunwerks Magnus & Verdict ARCA rails
  • Ball head with pan feature & multiple tensioning knobs
  • 5 Section Carbon Fiber legs
  • 3 angle stops on legs
  • Interchangeable Rubber and Spike feet
  • Min height: 3”, Max height: 50”
  • Collapsed Length: 18.3”
  • Weight: 2.3 lbs
  • Includes: Instructions, Allen Wrenches, Weight Hook, Second Arca-Swiss Plate, Carrying Case
TRIPOD RS-255c
  • Carbon fiber
  • 5 Section
  • 15.5 inch folded length
  • 47.5 inch Max Height
  • 2.25 inch Min Height
  • 1.65 lbs Weight+ Max Load 17.5 lbs
  • 1/4 turn twist leg locks
BALL HEAD RB-30
  • 30mm Ball Diameter
  • 3/8”-16 Mounting Hole
  • 3.875 inch Height
  • 33 lbs Max Load
  • .66 lbs Weight
  • Screw-Knob
  • ARCA style dovetail mount

The RRS is the top of the line and have by far the most solid ratings for the weight. They are phenomenal to glass and shoot off of. I have the TFC14 with BH-30LR ball head. You can't go with with either that or the Ascend. I do like that the Ascend has the removable center section for more height.

I would spring for the RRS as you'll never need to upgrade it because there is no upgrading.

ofl0926

WKR
I just purchased and received my RRS TFCT 24L. I spoke to RRS for a while and that is what they recommended. I’m going to get a small panning head to glass off of and then can be removed so that I can use the anvil to shoot off of. Best of both worlds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like Spartan for bipods, but there's no comparison between their tripods and an RRS. If you're considering spending that kind of coin, go RRS.

Samson7x

WKR
What's the most popular RRS for shooting? Too many models for me to even choose from.

Samson7x

WKR
For shooting, buy with the Anvil 30 integrated into the apex of the legs. As in, not removable? Do you know what model that is?

There's basically three leg models with the option of short or long. Personally, I like the long version as it allows for more flexibility in use in varying terrain. The 14L would be for those that are looking to cut weight and probably aren't shooting all that much. The 24L is the jack-of-all trades - it will be more stable than the 14L, but lighter than the 34L. The 34L is for those that aren't packing very far or are focused solely on shooting - this will be more stable than the 14L or 24L.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
I went through this debate last year and ended up with the RRS Ascend 14L with both the integrated head and the platform with the Anvil 30. I find this gives me the best of both worlds, if I’m just glassing, digiscoping or photography then I will take the integrated head as it is smaller and lighter with plenty of strength to hold my Razor HD spotting scope.

If there is a high probability of shooting then I will take the Anvil as it is substantially better at supporting a rifle than the integrated head. The integrated head can work in a pinch as a bipod or to hold the rifle with an arca at the balance point but is not strong enough to hold outside of that without slipping. Additionally with the Anvil you have the option to either run it on the platform column or simply use it with a screw and washer nestled in the apex for the most stability.

I find that for a tripod as light as the 14L I prefer to have the center column, yes it does give up some stability but not that much compared to the apex mount in exchange for a much quicker vertical adjustment. With a much sturdier tripod I could see the stability benefits of strictly mounting in the apex.

Samson7x

WKR
@Samson7x
In my opinion, for shooting, you want a TFCT-ARC model from the SOAR line (link below)

Just for comparison, below is a picture of the Anvil30 "integrated" into the apex of the legs, which provides a mechanical advantage IMO.
TFCT-24L.main-2_1024x1024@2x.png

really-right-stuff-a30bh-apx.jpg

Some people will buy the head only and just screw it onto a tripod
RRS-ANVIL-30-BALL-HEAD-no-adapter-Feature.jpg

20210809_090519-jpg.7682365

10-4, I hadn't seen that.

Thanks for the info sir, now have things to consider before upgrading.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased and received my RRS TFCT 24L. I spoke to RRS for a while and that is what they recommended. I’m going to get a small panning head to glass off of and then can be removed so that I can use the anvil to shoot off of. Best of both worlds

Do you mean you will unscrew the pan head then screw in the anvil to take a shot?

OP
T

tredell17

FNG
I went through this debate last year and ended up with the RRS Ascend 14L with both the integrated head and the platform with the Anvil 30. I find this gives me the best of both worlds, if I’m just glassing, digiscoping or photography then I will take the integrated head as it is smaller and lighter with plenty of strength to hold my Razor HD spotting scope.

If there is a high probability of shooting then I will take the Anvil as it is substantially better at supporting a rifle than the integrated head. The integrated head can work in a pinch as a bipod or to hold the rifle with an arca at the balance point but is not strong enough to hold outside of that without slipping. Additionally with the Anvil you have the option to either run it on the platform column or simply use it with a screw and washer nestled in the apex for the most stability.

I find that for a tripod as light as the 14L I prefer to have the center column, yes it does give up some stability but not that much compared to the apex mount in exchange for a much quicker vertical adjustment. With a much sturdier tripod I could see the stability benefits of strictly mounting in the apex.

Are you able to show a picture of the Anvil on the Ascend adjustable column? I wasn't sure it would fit.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Are you able to show a picture of the Anvil on the Ascend adjustable column? I wasn't sure it would fit.

I’ll get a picture when I get home but it’s basically just threaded on like any of their other ball heads but you have to get the platform version rather than the integrated head.

Edit:
In the mean time here is a photo I found online.
C6BF59E7-36C3-4C3E-A759-1919A2AE7027.jpeg

There are definitely some trade offs when it comes to shooting and glassing tripod. The Anvil 30 is a great shooting head. The big thing it lacks is an independent panning option which could be a big thing depending on your glassing style. One of the trade offs when going with a standard ball head is that the panning feature is below the ball which means your tripod has to level to grid or else you will be moving at a slant. I think the best compromise for both shooting and glassing is the RRS Ascend 14 with their integrated head. This tripod has some limitations though. This head was designed for cameras so if you rifle is over 9-10lbs this head probably wont be able to completely support it by itself.

When you remove the integrated head and center column and mount the Anvil directly via the washer and bolt, is the silver center column lever just floppy or can you remove it from the tripod?

ofl0926

WKR
Do you mean you will unscrew the pan head then screw in the anvil to take a shot?

The anvil is attached to tfct tripod. I’ll use an arca plate with the pan head to glass. Then just remove to shoot with the anvil. Makes life simple

Toner44

FNG
Sirui ST-124 is great option. Always a trade off between rigid and lightweight but this is the best one I’ve come across for my use. Also have a manufacturer rebate till the end of this month