“Backfire” hunting challenge fail

Jbuck

FNG
I watched that and with out going into bat for the guy props for trying i think ranging errors would have accounted for some of those miss's. hard to range a small target that gets easily lost in the sagebrush that at times looked way behind the target.

Never tried shooting of my bino bivy and cant see me trying, I find a jacket or hoodie works great for me.

Also props for shooting 50+ rounds with a unbraked winmag like that my shoulder feels bruised just watching it.

I would imagine it's probably more bad form and recoil fatigue. Even a 30yd ranging error should connect at the furthest distance. At the 400yd range its more like 60yd error given a 10"tall target.

I watched that and with out going into bat for the guy props for trying i think ranging errors would have accounted for some of those miss's. hard to range a small target that gets easily lost in the sagebrush that at times looked way behind the target.

Never tried shooting of my bino bivy and cant see me trying, I find a jacket or hoodie works great for me.

Also props for shooting 50+ rounds with a unbraked winmag like that my shoulder feels bruised just watching it.
I think he just had no clue what he was doing in rifle setup, cartridge choice, and shooting process. He was allowed to have a rear bag and bubble level, but he didn't. His rifle is way too much gun for him in general but especially for a 54 round session. He seems to have no consistent shooting fundamentals either. Worst of all I don't think he let the experience humble him at all.

sveltri

WKR
I did the shooting qualification to mitigate elk at the federal properties at and around the Great Sand Dunes this summer. There were 3 shots kneeling or standing at 200 yards, and 3 shots prone or kneeling or standing at 300 yards. The target was either 10x12" or 8x12". All within 3 minutes.

The day I shot there were 30 particpiants and I think 8 passed. The day prior were were told it was 4 or 26.

What I observed was no correlation between $$$ spent and results. There was sone predictability of results based on how comfortable someone seemed to be handling their rifle getting set up for the first shot.
I did it too a couple years ago. I think there were 25 people and 4 of us qualified. I wasn’t shooting guys much at the time and assumed that anyone that would show up and shoot in front of a bunch of other people would at least have a clue what they were doing. I was wrong.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
That was pretty brutal. Definitely hard to range those 300+ jugs. Atleast with a deer or elk you have the whole animal to range. I would have had the rangefinder on a tripod for the farther shots. Rear bag for sure. Dude was humbled. Took it well though.

So which one of you guys is doing part 2?

jimh406

WKR
I don't think Backfire-Jim would have cared if the guy used a different caliber. I'd say kick factored in more if the shooter wouldn't have missed shot number 2.

Hagas4all

FNG
Yikes. Aside from this guy giving himself a life ling flinch from all those shots with a light 300 WM he probably now has a mild case of TBI.

eric1115

WKR
Ye
This was incredible. Would love to see more of these videos.
Agree. That looked like a format that actually tests, with a meaningful number of rounds, actual hunting capability. Maybe even standardizable to some meaningful extent.

I would love to see a section in the Long Range Hunting sub forum (right next to scope evals and CBC?) with a couple dozen of these. It would only solidify the RokSlide hate on the other forums. "Those crazy MF'ers want scopes that work, rifles they can actually shoot, and realistic evaluation of their field conditions capabilities. WTF is wrong with them?"

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t exactly say his setup was lightweight. Yes 300 WM but with that big ass scope, cheek riser and bipod I would guess around 10lbs?

ElPollo

WKR
Nobody wakes up and says to themselves, “Today, my goal is to become an internet meme laughed and ridiculed by millions.” That’s hard, but that guy would probably outshoot most of the people I know who swear they are good to go on big game to 400 yards. Most of those people’s annual round count is less than 1/5 what he shot in one day.

Mike7

WKR
I don't have much shooting experience, but understand & endorse most of the advice & comments above, except for the more vague comments about poor shooting form that don't include specific details regarding the poor form. I just don't know enough to look at him and determine what all is the poor form I guess.

My question is this however, for the average/below average experience shooter (like me) looking to shoot for hunting accuracy, why wouldn't you zero your rifle at 250 yds? I assume this guy's rifle was zeroed at 100, because I thought there was mention of misses due to improper elevation adjustment for targets over 100 yds?

With a 250 yd zero, a quick ballistics calculator on a 300 win mag 195 gr eldm for "accuracy of water jug" shows no need for elevation or wind compensation with 90 deg 5 mph cross winds out to about 325 yds it seems. So, even with somewhat rushed shots under 325 yds, there is nothing to think about, adjust, or screw up.

I am fairly certain that I would really suck with that 300 win mag, especially after a few shots.

But am I wrong that with a 250 yd zero, reasonable winds, a decent scanning range finder, a dialed in reliable ffp scope with known reticle graduations (Jason mentioned above falling back on these as needed), a stable shooting rest, and a soft recoiling lower caliber rifle setup, shouldn't even a relatively inexperienced guy be able to be pretty deadly out to several hundred yards in these conditions?

11boo

WKR
So I had an electrician apprentice, mid 30s guy. Nice guy, but he found out I was ex army as was he. He did a deployment to Afghanistan as a grunt, and he was constantly trying to regale me with his “long range” shooting skill with a M4
AR. OK.

Then he decides to get into elk hunting and is quizzing me about guns for elk.
I tell him nothing wrong with a .308/30.06 but he has magnum fever. I tell him get whatever and you can hit the club with me and sight it in. He gets a gun.

A lightweight 300 Remington ultra mag. No brake. Do I have to tell you how this story ends?
He lays 40 rounds of that ammo on the bench, intended to fire it all. He also gashed his brow on the third shot. to his credit he made it through 18 shots.

Lawnboi

WKR
I don't have much shooting experience, but understand & endorse most of the advice & comments above, except for the more vague comments about poor shooting form that don't include specific details regarding the poor form. I just don't know enough to look at him and determine what all is the poor form I guess.

My question is this however, for the average/below average experience shooter (like me) looking to shoot for hunting accuracy, why wouldn't you zero your rifle at 250 yds? I assume this guy's rifle was zeroed at 100, because I thought there was mention of misses due to improper elevation adjustment for targets over 100 yds?

With a 250 yd zero, a quick ballistics calculator on a 300 win mag 195 gr eldm for "accuracy of water jug" shows no need for elevation or wind compensation with 90 deg 5 mph cross winds out to about 325 yds it seems. So, even with somewhat rushed shots under 325 yds, there is nothing to think about, adjust, or screw up.

I am fairly certain that I would really suck with that 300 win mag, especially after a few shots.

But am I wrong that with a 250 yd zero, reasonable winds, a decent scanning range finder, a dialed in reliable ffp scope with known reticle graduations (Jason mentioned above falling back on these as needed), a stable shooting rest, and a soft recoiling lower caliber rifle setup, shouldn't even a relatively inexperienced guy be able to be pretty deadly out to several hundred yards in these conditions?

That works fine till you consider your rifle is a shotgun, and not a laser. From field positions I’m betting most would be lucky to hold 2moa. Add in camera stress and recoil if a rifle like that and I bet that only goes up.

The biggest problem with the way most people determine mpbr is that they think at 300+ yards they are going to hit with perfect accuracy, because that’s how it was calculated on the ballistic solver.