“Backfire” hunting challenge fail

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
Just watched a backfire video on YouTube where an ex marine made the claim he could hit 100/100 hunting scenario shots out to 600 yards. He showed up with a standard/ unbraked tikka t3x in 300 win mag. I am not here to bash the guy but the real world results that were found in this video reflect the reason for the teaching on this forum. I believe that the average modern day American hunter/ shooter is not as capable as they think they are and big magnums do not equal higher hit rates. I would encourage anyone to watch that backfire video on YouTube. A little teaser, the guy hit 17/54 targets from 100 to 600 yards for a hit percentage of 31.4%. This video unintentionally defends the argument that properly placed bullets matter more than cartridge size.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
People talk a big game many times not even knowing their mouth is writing checks their rear end or in his case trigger finger can't cash.

I do shoot a magnum but because it's more accurate. More so because it can haul the mail and hit with authority at long range. My self imposed limit if far less then the rifle cartridge is capable of and diminishes quickly based on field conditions.

SC HUNTER

FNG
I wouldn't ever say I could do that out to 600 yards. 300 and in I'd say I'd be 80 percent but I don't ever shoot to 600. I certainly wouldn't show up with a lightweight 300 win mag more like a heavy 6.5 CM suppressed.

I'm sure somebody will be here shortly to say they can definitely do it.

Painful and uncomfortable truths: the video also unintentionally makes the arguments that cartridge ballistics beyond 300-400yds are utterly irrelevant to anyone who can't shoot 100% at those distances in field conditions, and that flatter, faster-shooting cartridges at those distances minimize errors associated with improper ranging of the target.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
A couple years ago I was shooting an APR 30 nosler and was dialed in to 850 yards. Routinely shooting cold bore steel at 600. I went to pick up another rifle from the local gun shop. They told me if I wanted a truly accurate rifle I should buy one of theres. They sell a few simi customs and custom actions they assemble with proof prefits.

I was feeling it and had a little cash on me. I invited any one of them to the 600 yard range for 1 cold bore shot from ground with bipod and rear bag with any gun off their shelf. No takers at $500.

ex marine made the claim
They do that a lot. There's an epidemic of former military 35-50 year old guys with high levels of confidence in their shooting ability that are at odds with reality. These days even if they were an actual sniper I still reserve judgement because you can get a mixed bag there too. Some of them (Phillip Velayo & Frank Galli) are amazing shooters/teachers and I'd love to take a class from them. But some of them are like that Nicholas Irving guy who has been doing the rounds on a lot of gun Youtube channels lately. He thinks a .50 cal can blow your arm off if it passes within a couple feet of you, doesn't know the difference between MOA/MIL, and seemingly isn't very good at shooting.

OP
MT-nuffgun

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
whatever you shoot, just shoot it accurately at a ranges you feel comfortable with. But this guy missed a lot of fairly close shots which I feel had a lot to do with a light weight rifle in a 300 win mag without a brake. I personally think this is why cartridges like the 6 and 6.5 creedmoor have become so popular over the last decade or so. It’s not that they are magical cartridges, it’s that guys finally started hitting what they are aiming at more consistently because those cartridges are more user friendly.

That video was so incredibly painful to watch. When he showed up with a lower end vortex scope and then scoped himself first shot it told me everything I need to know. Kinda pissed me off at the end when he said he was a wildlife biologist and thought his ethical hunting abilities were still 400 yards

jimh406

WKR
I wonder if the guy will read the comments or posts here to realize that he's not a 400 yd shooter. If not, I wonder if his friends/hunting buddies will.

Then again, maybe we just have a different set of rules that we are playing by.

199p

FNG
I watched that and with out going into bat for the guy props for trying i think ranging errors would have accounted for some of those miss's. hard to range a small target that gets easily lost in the sagebrush that at times looked way behind the target.

Never tried shooting of my bino bivy and cant see me trying, I find a jacket or hoodie works great for me.

Also props for shooting 50+ rounds with a unbraked winmag like that my shoulder feels bruised just watching it.

JakeM51

FNG
They do that a lot. There's an epidemic of former military 35-50 year old guys with high levels of confidence in their shooting ability that are at odds with reality. These days even if they were an actual sniper I still reserve judgement because you can get a mixed bag there too. Some of them (Phillip Velayo & Frank Galli) are amazing shooters/teachers and I'd love to take a class from them. But some of them are like that Nicholas Irving guy who has been doing the rounds on a lot of gun Youtube channels lately. He thinks a .50 cal can blow your arm off if it passes within a couple feet of you, doesn't know the difference between MOA/MIL, and seemingly isn't very good at shooting.
He actually is a good shot and taught at Rifles Only for a bit. ( Same place that Frank Gallie got his start as an instructor at )
Lately though he has just made an ass of himself on youtube for clout.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
I have gongs out to 1000 right off my deck. When "shooter's" show up and ask to hunt our ranch it's the easy button to have them simply wack the 8 inch gong at 600 yards. One shot hit, first shot, all conditions. When they miss I let them walk it in but...come back next time.-WW

He actually is a good shot and taught at Rifles Only for a bit. ( Same place that Frank Gallie got his start as an instructor at )
Lately though he has just made an ass of himself on youtube for clout.
That's wild and I have no explanation for how bad he did here then. It comes off as a complete lack of understanding of everything he's doing. However, Rifles Only is a premier instruction destination so I can't imagine they'd have let him teach if this is how he shoots. Maybe he's faking it for clout as you said.

sndmn11

WKR
I did the shooting qualification to mitigate elk at the federal properties at and around the Great Sand Dunes this summer. There were 3 shots kneeling or standing at 200 yards, and 3 shots prone or kneeling or standing at 300 yards. The target was either 10x12" or 8x12". All within 3 minutes.

The day I shot there were 30 particpiants and I think 8 passed. The day prior were were told it was 4 or 26.

What I observed was no correlation between $$$ spent and results. There was sone predictability of results based on how comfortable someone seemed to be handling their rifle getting set up for the first shot.

JakeM51

FNG
That's wild and I have no explanation for how bad he did here then. It comes off as a complete lack of understanding of everything he's doing. However, Rifles Only is a premier instruction destination so I can't imagine they'd have let him teach if this is how he shoots. Maybe he's faking it for clout as you said.

This is at Rifles Only.....