BAckcountry Menu

What is your daily food menus looking like? Include everything from breakfast to snacks to dinner and hydration

Mine is looking like this so far.

BReakfast is granola with protein powder, glucosamine and powdered milk in ziplocks

Snacks
Clif Builder
Stinger Waffle
Clif shot blocks
2 individual trail mix packs from kars
2 fruit leather
Tuna packets (Some days)
Triscuits (Some days)

Dinner
Dehydrated meal
Ramen noodles (for some days)
Idahoan potatoes (some days)

poptart for breakfast
pack most of my snacks in the 1/2qt? ziplocks
jerky, cashews, builder bar, ener gu, peanut butter and cheese crackers, fruit leather
peanut butter and bacon bagel for lunch
mountain house for din, idahoan potatoes to split with the wife

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I bring along when I am packing everything on my back on 4-10 day hunts. If I was hunting for a shorter amount of time I would bring heavier food that did more for me.

Breakfast: Two packs instant oatmeal and a cup of cocoa or cider
Lunch: Ramen
Dinner: Mt house and a cup of cocoa or cider
Snacks: 2 candy bars and 1 cliff bar
Misc: trail mix

All I know is that I am not getting enough to eat so there will be some changes in store next year. Thinking of bringing along some olive oil to add to my Mt House meals and powdered milk to go in the oatmeal and cocoa. Still need to work out some extras but it is hard when you can only pack so much weight.

Bronco,

I'm not surprised you don't think you are getting enough food, your menu is pretty carb heavy and light on everything else. As you said, I would definitley add some powdered milk to your oatmeal and would also think about adding a snack size box of raisins or cranberries or yogurt covered raisins/cranberries that you can find in most grocery stores. They will give you more quick energy to carry you until the longer term energy from the oatmeal/carbs kick in. For lunch you might want to include some meat in the form of hard sausages, jerky (also available at the grocery store in many places), bacon bits, or meat sticks that you can cut up and add to the ramin or anything else. They are also good for snacks to add some protein and fat to your diet. I even add bacon bits to my oatmeal/powdered milk/raisin combination for breakfast if I feel like something sweet and savory.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
For my 6 day backpack hunt this year I will be bringing:

BREAKFAST
McCanns instant oatmeal with weight gainer (increases protein & calories)
VIA with powdered milk

LUNCH
Cliff protein bars
Crystal Light energy or hydration packet

SNACKS
Almonds
Dried apricots, mango, figs, apples, dates ('cause I like to be a "regular" kind of guy)
Dark chocolate
More Cliff bars

DINNER
Mountain House pro-pack vacuum packed entree
Added home-dehydrated chicken (http://www.livestrong.com/article/476715-how-to-dehydrate-chicken/)
Mountain house veggie (green beans, peas or corn)
Decaf warm drink.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
Bronco,

I'm not surprised you don't think you are getting enough food, your menu is pretty carb heavy and light on everything else. As you said, I would definitley add some powdered milk to your oatmeal and would also think about adding a snack size box of raisins or cranberries or yogurt covered raisins/cranberries that you can find in most grocery stores. They will give you more quick energy to carry you until the longer term energy from the oatmeal/carbs kick in. For lunch you might want to include some meat in the form of hard sausages, jerky (also available at the grocery store in many places), bacon bits, or meat sticks that you can cut up and add to the ramin or anything else. They are also good for snacks to add some protein and fat to your diet. I even add bacon bits to my oatmeal/powdered milk/raisin combination for breakfast if I feel like something sweet and savory.

Wight is a huge issue, I like to stay warm and dry so food gets cut. I need to tweak my packing list when I get home and see what I can get rid of to add some more food. When weight is not an issue jerky and peperoni sticks are always brought along as well as some cheddar to go with the sticks.

Wight is a huge issue, I like to stay warm and dry so food gets cut. I need to tweak my packing list when I get home and see what I can get rid of to add some more food. When weight is not an issue jerky and peperoni sticks are always brought along as well as some cheddar to go with the sticks.

I lean towards bringing plenty of food. Can't get far when low on gas and most of it gets dropped at camp for hunting. I pretty much use the same diet as you but add fruit and plenty of jerky. Usually I'll have eaten a big dent in it by the time I come out, so not to concerned about the weight of food + animal. I've also found that plenty of calories really helps with the keeping warm end of things.

One breakfast I like is the MH granola. I don't care for the high bulk, expensive, individual packages, but will buy the big cans of it and then transfer to a gallon zip lock. It has dried milk and fruit already in it and can be made either hot or cold. Great for those times when you really need to scarf and roll in the morning. I also add couscous or instant rice to many of the MH meals. Cuts the salt flavor a bit if nothing else.

Yk

Looking at the Mountain House website I just saw that they have #10 cans of freeze dried beef and chicken that you can buy. Putting some in ziplock bags would be a lightweight and effective way of putting more protein into a carb heavy diet. They also have freeze dried corn, green beans, and green peas packaged in #10 cans.

OP
ohhiitznik
My new updated menu for my 10 day Elk bivy/backpack style hunt is

Breakfast:
2 packs of assorted flavor instant oatmeal with syntha 6 chocolate scoop in a ziplock to be eaten cold.

Snacks/Lunch:
2 Small Kars Trail Mix
2 Archer Farms Fruit Leather (individual packets .5oz apiece)
1 Clif Shot block
1 Clif Builder bar
1 Stinger Waffle
Tuna Pack 4.5 oz or Salmon pack 4.5oz or 4 oz idahoan potatoes (All alternating between different days)
1 little baggie of 10 or so triscuits

Dinner:
Dehydrated meal, leftover mountain house or FBC
I'm also carrying 5 packs of ramen to cut with the mountain house I have leftover.

Drinks:
Wilderness athlete Hydrate and Recover *individual small mixing packets they do 16 oz I believe*

I'm carrying with everything packed and weighed 2 lbs of food per day. So I'll be rolling with 20 lbs of food for my 10 days. I'm bigger than most at 6'4 260 so I want the extra calories and I have everything sorted to be between 2700-3100 calories per day.

Curtis C

WKR
For breakfast I alternate these
oatmeal with dried fruit and powdered milk eaten hot
Granola cereal with powdered milk eaten hot or cold
Via coffee daily
Prevacid, multi-vita, relafen daily

Lunch alternates between these
flatbread/tort with shelf stable meats(peperoni, salami, spam etc) or peanut butter honey.
Packet of plain tuna with crackers.

Snacks are some variation of these
jerky
various food bars. I pack one for each day, some days I wont eat any some days I will eat two.
Homemade trail-mix(cheerios, chex, raisins, chocolate chips, cashews, almonds)
Honey Stinger waffles
GU chomps or gels
various dried fruits

Dinner is usually Mountain House meals or Idahoan potatoes with real bacon crumbles. Taking the fly rod this year so hope to add some fish to the dinner menu. relafen again daily

The snacks and lunch are prepacked in a ziploc so i can just grab one and put it in the pack while breakfast is cooking
Breakfast is packed in heat resistant bag so I don't have to carry and clean a bowl.

Breakfast:
Package of two Pop Tarts

Lunch:
Ramen w/ chicken
or
Lipton Pasta w/ tuna
or
Lipton soup
or
Mountain House wraps

Dinner:
Consists of two of the following
Mountain house
Lipton Pasta side
Lipton Rice side
Idaho Potato

Snack:
Small Candy bar
Granola bar
Trail Mix
Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and Recover

I'm closer to 2lbs of food per day, but I figure it's only gonna get lighter and I'd rather have the energy/warmth.

Just finished up putting our food together for this weekends hunt. Heading in friday and coming out sunday as the GF has to be back at school Sunday night!

Breakfast: Granola cerea with raisins and powdered milk (340 calories)
Lunch: Tuna packet with Triscuits: 260 Calories
Dinner: MH Meal (Ave 600 Calories)
SNACKS
3 Fruit Strip bars: (150 Calories)
2 Aplets n Cotlets Bars: (200 calories)
Fruit&Grain Bar (160 Calories)
Pay Day (240 Calories)
2 Justins Honey Peanut Butter packets: (380 Calories)
Nature Valley Bar: (190 Calories).

All comes in at 2520 Calories, weighs under 1.75 lbs, and takes up 1/2 a gallon ziploc (plus MH by itself). Only cooking required is at dinner time with the mountain house!
I also have a packet of Chocolate covered blueberries with acai that looked tasty but haven't weighed them nor check their calorie value. But I know they are going to be tasty! ;)

Very happy with this menu! Tried some of the powdered milk for the first time ever and its actually surprisingly good! Got it mixed with 3/4 cup of the cereal in a quart ziploc freezer bag for morning time. Just needs 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups of water!

Mike