Backcountry hunting!

TheGDog

WKR
Acid blocker & Imodium & opiate for my lumbar discs.

EDIT: Naphcon - A -> Allergy Eye Drops This brand is the least irritating/burning brand I've found. And one of the places I go, at certain times of the year you can literally SEE the air with all the airborne stuff in it and I lose my voice in that place. Definitely comes in handy.

Also Extra SugarFree chiclet-style spearmint gums! Always keep those in a small ziploc on my person for trhoutout the day. Keeps your mouth from drying-out on long hike-ins. Makes you feel less like you need to wet your mouth by taking a draw on your drinking tube. Saves you water overall. Plus lotta those MtnHouse meals give me acid so the gum helps with fighting against the reflux. I figure acid reflux in the back of your mouth HAS to stink and carry on the wind a helluva lot worse than many other things.

Last edited:

4rcgoat

WKR
About 6 feet of dental floss. All it takes is 1 damn seed from some organic,crappy tasting meal bar to get wedged between your back molars and make your life miserable for 2 days before you pack up,hike back to the truck,1 hour drive back to town just to remove some hellish little crumb..........and a shooter or 2 of whiskey😉

cjdewese

WKR
Already said but baby wipes are a must.

Chapstick is a good one too.

I found that a good book helps pass some of the slower times on the mountain this year too.

I’d argue this is an essential! This or straight athletic tape has saved my bacon more than once.
depends on the person i guess. Luckily my feet are bombproof and in over 20 years of packing around i only ever used it once and that was due to a $hit pair of boots.

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Drip Drops electrolyte stick packs and Body Glide anti-chafing balm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
Another for chapstick here. If I had to be original and not repeat any of the above I might go with tweezers, cause I live and hunt I the desert and I get cactus thorns.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A lot of the above I would consider "essential". But for an item that is a must have and unessential........I'd say game bags. They aren't "essential", but I sure wouldn't want to not have them when I need them.

taskswap

WKR
A flosser/pick. Same reason as listed above but I hate regular floss and like having the pick. I don't have the best teeth in the first place and nothing's more distracting to me than a bit of jerky stuck somewhere it shouldn't be.

Definitely "non-essential"(I can 100% live without it) but for me? I never go anywhere without one.

Too many to list TBO.
Some items that are deemed unessential, when you need it, suddenly are on the essential list.
AND you're happy if you packed it and p.o at yourself if it didn't make in the pack.

For me, essential items keep me in the hunt. Problem > solution (gear item and I'll pack it).

Tweezers
Antibiotic eye ointment and anesthetic
KT tape for heels and can be used as a pressure dressing, tape holes, etc.
Albuterol inhaler, I have asthma
Dermabond
Steri-strips
Ibuprofen (aches, pains), Pepcid (acid or allergic reaction), benadryl (allergic reaction), claritin
and flonase (for allergies if needed)
Phone charger
Bacitracin and wound care supplies

Last edited: