Backcountry food example

Bighorner

WKR
I like to dehydrate frozen green beans for veggies. They are good rehydrated as well and as is for a snack.

I'll bring 3000-3300 calorie per day. If it's a labor heavy day with lots of hiking and carrying heavy loads everywhere, I'll eat every bite. If it's an easy day of sitting and glassing I'll eat 500-1000 calories less.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
I just got back from a couple days of coues deer hunting. I definitely over packed. Could go with 1000 calories less for that Hunt. 5 mile and 2000’ pack in and out but lots of glassing. I did not eat anywhere close to everything. My eight year old went with and ate everything though.

Anyone have a good source of greens/fiber for packing in the backcountry?
Probars - superfood and greens. Get a variety pack for the week. These have become my favorite bar after I burned myself out on most of the others. I will go grab an assortment at Vitamin cottage, they have the best selection of bars of pretty much any place, just look at labels until you find the mix you want.

-Peak refuel (in this case chicken pesto pasta)
-two heathers choice packaroons
-two f-bombs macadamia nut butter
-two honey stinger waffles
-one Justin’s almond butter
-one Justin’s peanut butter
-double serving of almonds
-mtn ops bar
-one nature valley coconut butter biscuit.
-one hydrate and recover
-one energy and focus
- one instant coffee

View attachment 334714

I'd starve to death on a backpack hunt, with only that meager daily diet you have there.

Same. In the country I hunt, I’m on the move a lot. I need a couple bars for breakfast and lots of food through out the day.

Yeah, I like to eat. I have a high metabolism and it's not uncommon for me to burn 5,000 calories a day. Lots of food and a big variety of it is very important for me

Over the course of a six-month guiding season up here in Alaska, I'll drop 30 lbs of body weight, even when consuming 5,000 calories per day.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
OP you didn’t include the weight of the water it takes to make the packaged meals. One per day times how many days really adds up. If you are camped or set up near water that’s great but doesn’t always happen.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Heck, even just still hunting on cold mornings I will end up eating my lunch for breakfast.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
This thread was from last year. That worked out perfect. Actually I over packed food. I came back with a fair bit uneaten. Not because I didn’t want it from a taste standpoint but just because I wasn’t hungry. I do typically camp near springs here in the desert. That or carry an extra 6 liters of water which gives me a total of 9 liters which for me is three days of water if I’m not covering crazy miles. Which for coues deer hunting isn’t necessary. Glassing for hours on end is the name of the game.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
I also typically don’t eat til 11 or 12 on a daily basis. Even after running 5 miles in the morning so maybe that’s why I can get away with less than some of you. I generally only eat 1800-2000 calories per day on a normal day so 3000+ is a lot for me.

ONDERS.CH

FNG
This gets discussed from time to time around here. Thought I would post my food list for my upcoming backpack coues deer hunt. Figure that way some doing a search might stumble on some ideas.
Below is my food for one day. It’s 3135 calories total with a total weight of 1lb 7.4oz. For an average of 134cals per oz.
If anyone has any suggestions I’d take those as well.
-Peak refuel (in this case chicken pesto pasta)
-two heathers choice packaroons
-two f-bombs macadamia nut butter
-two honey stinger waffles
-one Justin’s almond butter
-one Justin’s peanut butter
-double serving of almonds
-mtn ops bar
-one nature valley coconut butter biscuit.
-one hydrate and recover
-one energy and focus
- one instant coffee

View attachment 334714
food selection looks good!

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
food selection looks good!
It ended up being too much. I’m cutting back to about 2200 calories for this year. I also ditched the heathers choice packaroons for some homemade packaroons I like better and don’t cost $2.50 a piece. Also ditched the mountain ops bars in favor of the Trader Joe’s brand protein bars because the mountain ops bars just melt too easy.

It ended up being too much. I’m cutting back to about 2200 calories for this year. I also ditched the heathers choice packaroons for some homemade packaroons I like better and don’t cost $2.50 a piece. Also ditched the mountain ops bars in favor of the Trader Joe’s brand protein bars because the mountain ops bars just melt too easy.
2200? What's your bodyweight? What's your exertion level (miles, elevation, pack weight, on/off trail?)

Mosby

WKR
I couldn't eat all that food. Mine is a lot simpler and less healthy.

Coffee and oatmeal for breakfast. Some type of Pack it gourmet meal for lunch. A pack it gourmet for dinner. Maybe a hot chocolate before bed. A few candy bars/cookies/fig newtons in between.

I drink lots of water and take crystal light/propel packets to add some flavor.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
2200? What's your bodyweight? What's your exertion level (miles, elevation, pack weight, on/off trail?)
5’9” 180lbs. Usually pack in 5 miles or so and set up camp. I’m mostly hunting coues deer these days so a fair bit of sitting and glassing. Back when I lived in Colorado and was chasing elk more than anything else by activity level was higher.