Backcountry food example

Northpark

WKR
This gets discussed from time to time around here. Thought I would post my food list for my upcoming backpack coues deer hunt. Figure that way some doing a search might stumble on some ideas.
Below is my food for one day. It’s 3135 calories total with a total weight of 1lb 7.4oz. For an average of 134cals per oz.
If anyone has any suggestions I’d take those as well.
-Peak refuel (in this case chicken pesto pasta)
-two heathers choice packaroons
-two f-bombs macadamia nut butter
-two honey stinger waffles
-one Justin’s almond butter
-one Justin’s peanut butter
-double serving of almonds
-mtn ops bar
-one nature valley coconut butter biscuit.
-one hydrate and recover
-one energy and focus
- one instant coffee

EA8A2C20-B3A2-451E-A88F-5CC959A5EEB0.jpeg

Afhunter1

WKR
Mine is like yours but I’d drop some of that nut butter and add a calorie heavy oatmeal breakfast. I get off grid but you could make your own cheaper. The worst thing I hate to eat is plain nut butter out of a tube.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
Could be a good option for folks. I generally eat pretty keto so I try to stay heavy to fats when I hunt because I found if I stray too far into carbs I get stomach issues.

That looks good to me. RX butter, perfect bars and stowaway gourmet for the meals are all great options too, for me at least. They arent exactly keto but neither is a lot of the food in your example, its delicious tho which i find more important since you have to want to eat it at the end of the day. I like to take biltong jerky and fat fuel instant coffee too

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Could be a good option for folks. I generally eat pretty keto so I try to stay heavy to fats when I hunt because I found if I stray too far into carbs I get stomach issues.
I with you on this. Next Mile meals are pricey, but I can digest them a lot better than other freeze-dried meals.
For snacks I got 30lbs of meat sticks made by my local processor. Used ptarmigan, diver ducks, moose and caribou hearts, etc....the stuff in my freezer after last season. Should last me through the winter this year, keeps me going all day in the mountains, great with a few slices of cheese.

rideold

WKR
I make some bars that are made up of dates, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, some eggs, and spices that give me around 380 calories and 9g of protein and weigh 2-3 oz each. I combine two of those per day with a bag of jerky, fresh fruit (yea, I know it's heavy but an apple is nice to have) and make up the rest of the calories with freeze dried.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Yikes. The average guy eating that for 10 days would go broke. Haha.

That is a good list.

In case you guys don’t know Next Mile makes some good Keto meals. I run low carbs and they do the trick.

Do you guys eat like this normally? I don't ever eat that much food. I generally have two vias packs, a couple of drink mix packs, an epic bar, cheese stick and an MH meal for a day.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys eat like this normally? I don't ever eat that much food. I generally have two vias packs, a couple of drink mix packs, an epic bar, cheese stick and an MH meal for a day.
I generally eat about 3,000 calories/day in my normal life. I get hungrier when I'm in the mountains.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR

I find it impressive how much food some guys can consume.

I could get away with less. And I might try to cut some of that. But my point was to show that if you need the calories you can do it lightweight.

rideold

WKR
My brother-in-law used to comment every time I ate.....he was amazed that I could eat as much as I do. That said, during daily life I don't eat nearly as much as when I'm humping a pack around the hills. He also never ate. I'd see him maybe eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast and then nothing until dinner. Once in a while he would eat a small sandwich sometime during the hunt. Skinny as a rail and he had more energy than I have ever had but I just can't go all day like that. Funny how everyone seems to be able to make it through on a wide variety of calories! To each their own for sure.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have a good source of greens/fiber for packing in the backcountry?

I've begun adding a few fiber pills per day to my bag. It helps keep me more regular since all that freeze dried stuff tends to back me up after awhile.

This gets discussed from time to time around here. Thought I would post my food list for my upcoming backpack coues deer hunt. Figure that way some doing a search might stumble on some ideas.
Below is my food for one day. It’s 3135 calories total with a total weight of 1lb 7.4oz. For an average of 134cals per oz.
If anyone has any suggestions I’d take those as well.
-Peak refuel (in this case chicken pesto pasta)
-two heathers choice packaroons
-two f-bombs macadamia nut butter
-two honey stinger waffles
-one Justin’s almond butter
-one Justin’s peanut butter
-double serving of almonds
-mtn ops bar
-one nature valley coconut butter biscuit.
-one hydrate and recover
-one energy and focus
- one instant coffee

View attachment 334714
My set up is similar to yours. I usually do tortillas because of their packability.