Back pouch vs. E&E

c5mrr270

WKR
I was thinking about running an E&E instead of a back pouch with the nomad I have on order. I just wanted to know if the E&E comes with enough strap to run over a full meat baggie and still attach to the nomad. If anybody has some experience with this, let me know. Thanks

amp713

WKR
Dude what is an E&E?!?! I see that mentioned all over but cant find anything close to that in hunting accesories on kifaru's page....

dotman

WKR
On the E&E I had the straps and d&l worked good but I doubt they are that long (sold the E&E), could be wrong and probably depends on how big your meat bag is. My suggestion is the 500d back pouch and Gen2 hanging meat bag.

amp713

WKR
I kinda like the E&E now that i look at it.... But would rarely ever need to use that for a day pack and wouldnt need that many points to attach to that i can think of....

Lawnboi

WKR
I doubt the straps are long enough. Though you could easily lengthen them. If your not going to use it stand alone then I don't understand why you would want the e&e.

The e&e is also insanely overbuilt(not a bad thing necessarily). Molle all over it, 1000d outside and 525 pack cloth inside, the thing is tough.

Iv converted mine into an every day carry pack. I use it for the gym, trail running, mountain biking and fishing when I want something nice and small. I'll never get rid of it.

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
I was thinking about using an E&E with the nomad for spot and stalk hunting. A lot of times I'll leave my pack with my hunting partner when I start a stalk, that way I don't have to carry my day hunt gear all the way down and back up the mountain. However, there have been a couple times where the stalk has lasted a long time and I've been stuck without water or snacks that I could have really used.

With the E&E I could just detach it from the nomad and throw in a couple snacks and a water bottle and be on my way. I know the longhunter lid can be turned into a lumbar pack but I'm not really a fan of those. Plus if I trim the lumbar attachment off of the longhunter lid it will make up most of the weight penalty of the E&E over the back pouch.

In one of the nomad videos, Aron runs a meat baggie between the frame and back pouch and then folds the wings over that. I was just hoping there was enough strap to do that.

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
Plus it looks like you should be able to attach belt pouches to the E&E if you want.

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
Yeah, not a fan of lumbar packs. I haven't tried the longhunter lid yet so I don't know if I'll like it better than normal lumbar packs or not.

Lawnboi

WKR
Long hunter lid, cut the lumbar junk off and use the bandolier strap to throw it over your shoulder. For hunting and backpacking iv gone to this setup. Though the e&e would probably work great for what you mentioned. The e&e is pretty comfortable as well, but you get the weight penalty. The long hunter lid functions, and adds almost nothing to the weight of the pack, though it lacks organization and really is just a loose flappy pocket compared to the compressible and organized e&e.

I still break out the e&e if I'm fishing out of my backpack though as it makes an awesome fishing pack due to organization.

Now if kifaru made a 500 lite back pouch with e&e straps I'd be one happy man.

I can't speak of how it will work with the nomad, but if the weight doesn't bother you I don't see how the e&e wouldn't satisfy your needs for a small break away pack.

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
Just FYI the term E&E is a military term for escape and evade. An E&E bag is usually a small bag filled with what you need to survive on the run, some would call it a bug out bag.

You could get a length of strap and use a couple G hooks and strap it however you like.

http://milspecmonkey.com/store/hard...e.html#/color-marine_coyote/unit_pack-100unit

Thanks for the link. This thought had crossed my mind. I have a cargo panel with all kinds of straps and buckles and I figured I could find a way to attach it. I just thought it might be a little cleaner and slightly lighter if it already had enough strap.

Browtine

WKR
I doubt the straps are long enough. Though you could easily lengthen them. If your not going to use it stand alone then I don't understand why you would want the e&e.

The e&e is also insanely overbuilt(not a bad thing necessarily). Molle all over it, 1000d outside and 525 pack cloth inside, the thing is tough.

Iv converted mine into an every day carry pack. I use it for the gym, trail running, mountain biking and fishing when I want something nice and small. I'll never get rid of it.

This^. My G1 E&E weighs 1# 11ozs mty w/o a chamber pocket.

LegShot

FNG
I posed this exact question to Aron because I really wanted to use the E&E for my day pack when I am backpack hunting. Really like the design but was questioning if the extra weight was worth it. The impression I got was to wait because a lighter weight E&E was in the works. Just a guess.