Back Pain Sleeping Pad/System

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I unfortunately started struggling with back aches and pain throughout the night. Sleep on my back and side throughout the night. Last year I was using a Nemo Tensor and it was not kind to me. Looking for a better nights sleep. Hammock? Self Inflated Pads? Thicker pad? Help please. Thanks!

Legend

WKR
I unfortunately started struggling with back aches and pain throughout the night. Sleep on my back and side throughout the night. Last year I was using a Nemo Tensor and it was not kind to me. Looking for a better nights sleep. Hammock? Self Inflated Pads? Thicker pad? Help please. Thanks!
Backcountry or truck camp?

Legend

WKR
I went with air thick pad, down exped. It sleeps pretty good. I believe the pillow is key as a rolled up coat just isn't the same as at home. Get a good backcountry pillow.

djewell87

FNG
I played around with some pads and I have a Big Agnes Q Core SLX which has been replaced with the Rapide SL. I'm a side sleeper with back problems and it works great. My son has been in and of the hospital for the past year and we've slept on it in hospital rooms for months inflating and deflating and traveling to different hospitals. I know that isn't normal use that you would think of, but we haven't had any leaks or issues at all. I have an Exped that has better R value about as comfortable, but I'm impressed with the comfort and how well the Big Agnes held up.

It's just going to depend on your back. If that Tensor isn't working I'm not sure any pad is gonna be that much better, I'd at least try a hammock and see how it goes. Some guys absolutely love them.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Side sleeper with bad back here, too. I feel your pain. After suffering with a couple 2"-2.5" pads, I tested several 3.5"-4" pads with the idea that the extra thickness would allow more inflation adjustment. Two major conclusions:

1) Extra thickness was critical for inflation adjustment. I get best results around 80% inflation--enough for flexibility and also keeps my shoulders and hips from touching the ground.

2) The Nemo Tensor with its side-to-side baffles did me WRONG. Whether on my side or back, I could feel it making things VERY bad. Length-wise baffles worked much better for me.

A small pad, empty backpack, pile of clothes, or inflatable pillow about under my knees sometimes helps things, too. I haven't needed it lately, but it's an option.

I started with a Big Agness Insulated Q-Cor which lasted a couple years until it leaked (common with BA pads, I later learned). I now use an Exped Downmat Ultra 7R. Only 2 pounds (25"x72"), R7 insulation, no noises....I love it.

Good luck with your search.

TaperPin

WKR
I can have problems getting comfortable - more so every year.

Sleeping at home on the pad I’ll be camping with is a game changer - that and don’t forget pain meds if you need it or not.

Decker9

WKR
I don’t drink, but I do take overproof rum and mix a oz with an orange tea before bed. Helps my achy back and helps me sleep better, and wakes me up about 4-5 am for a leak, double duty’s as an alarm clock lol.

Iv been using exped pads a bunch of years, my back prefers them then the horizontal baffle pads it seems.

A few ruptured disks and sciatica have me paying the weight/bulk penalty every time for a thick Exped Megamat. It’s the only one I’ve found that doesn’t make the back pain worse and I’ve been using the same one for a few years now. As others have stated, a decent pillow is key as well, still searching for that….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mtn_Nomad

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Side sleeper with bad back here, too. I feel your pain. After suffering with a couple 2"-2.5" pads, I tested several 3.5"-4" pads with the idea that the extra thickness would allow more inflation adjustment. Two major conclusions:

1) Extra thickness was critical for inflation adjustment. I get best results around 80% inflation--enough for flexibility and also keeps my shoulders and hips from touching the ground.

2) The Nemo Tensor with its side-to-side baffles did me WRONG. Whether on my side or back, I could feel it making things VERY bad. Length-wise baffles worked much better for me.

A small pad, empty backpack, pile of clothes, or inflatable pillow about under my knees sometimes helps things, too. I haven't needed it lately, but it's an option.

I started with a Big Agness Insulated Q-Cor which lasted a couple years until it leaked (common with BA pads, I later learned). I now use an Exped Downmat Ultra 7R. Only 2 pounds (25"x72"), R7 insulation, no noises....I love it.

Good luck with your search.

A few ruptured disks and sciatica have me paying the weight/bulk penalty every time for a thick Exped Megamat. It’s the only one I’ve found that doesn’t make the back pain worse and I’ve been using the same one for a few years now. As others have stated, a decent pillow is key as well, still searching for that….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a Nemo Fillo. But with crap pads I'm not sure if the pillow or the pads sucked

Macintosh

WKR
Im in the same boat, 25 years ago I thought nothing of spending 100 nights a year on an old-school 1” thermarest pad, and thought it was so much better than the 1/2” ensolite I grew up on. 🤦
Fast forward, and I barely get a wink in. I go 50:50 back/side and need to adjust frequently even in bed at home. Currently using a 2.5” nemo pad that is decent, with a 4’ length of ridgerest pad under it to avoid flat spots. but I still need a few key things, Im close but not fully there. A really good pillow thats thick enough so it works off the back of the pad. And a relatively thick roll of something under my knees for when Im on my back…really helps my back, as I just cant deflate the pads enough for comfort without them going totally flat. I use a piece of a full-size foam pillow that I cut the short way so its about 10” wide. It stuffs fairly small and is pretty light, but I find it helps a lot. And I usually use a drybag with a fleece and some extra clothes under my knees. We do a hunting trip that has boat access every other year or so, on that weight isnt really a concern, I add a 1.5” open-cell foam mat over the inflatable mat, and that makes life a LOT more comfortable, but its a no-go backpacking.

I’m a side sleeper and the most important features for me for preventing sore backs is the type pad thickness, as well as my pillow.

I tried a few different pads (Thermarest, solid foam, knockoffs, etc) and eventually found that the Klymit pads were best for me for evenly distributing weight for side sleeping and laying on my back.

They don’t seem like much of you just inflate them and sit on them, but once you actually lay down on them…I haven’t personally found a more comfortable pad.