Back into horses

Mojave

WKR
We have been riding as a family here in Germany couple times a month.

Of course the cost of doing it this way is cheaper.

Other than the $20,000 trailer
$70,000 truck
feed at whatever that cost per ton times 5-10 tons a year.

Saw another post where someone was selling a non-broke draft mare for $6900.

What is the going rate for Fjord horses or something similar?

I am guessing each horse needs equipment, and that would be another $2000-5000?

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man. I just did this song and dance over the last few years, so in the interest of helping I'll drop some numbers from the top of my head. EDIT: I'm in Canada. Adjust accordingly.

I forget where I heard it (I think one of the posters in this section said it actually): "Horses are cheap. It's all the other stuff that gets expensive."

Basics
- Used truck big enough to safely tow 2-3 horses: $8,000.
- 1970's era rusty 20ft stock trailer: $4,000.
- Pretty broke but moody and Karen-ish 13 yr old mare: $3,500.
- 5 year old draft cross gelding (friends/family price) : $4,500.
- Board during hunting season for 2x horses close to where I live: $500/mo x 3 months
- Beverage/goodwill money to rancher for off-season kick-out-in-pasture $300-600/yr.

Nickel/Dime stuff
- Shoes $250 every 6 weeks.
- Wormer $25.
- Fuel to do stuff: Budget $150 every time.
- Saddles: $150-$600. Marketplace/used is your friend here.
- Misc tack, like breast collars, saddle bags, bits, etc. $100 minimum for each saddle/horse, and that's being generous. Likely more expensive.

Random Stuff
- anything to do with pack saddles is a lost art, and will be hard to find. Unless you want to buy new, in which case it's a billion dollars.

- Nylon rigging/straps/latigos are helpful for keeping costs down.

- Used tack stores are your friend. I buy everything used, because it's usually 1/4 of the price. It might be a bit dusty, but still works fine.

I'm sure there's a bunch I forgot, but that's a start. Really consider if you actually "like" horses, cause it takes away from "hunting", both in time and finances.

Going rate for horses like anything will vary a lot. But the going rate for good broke minimal nonsense is 12/15k+ i really don’t think you need to spend more than 30k on a horse for leisure riding. That’s pretty high in my opinion. Spending more than that is pointless and just strictly for showing off. Personally if the horse can w/t/c when asked, bridles up soft, moves off the leg good, side passes/piviot/forehand turn, doesn’t feel like a ticking time bomb and is quiet under saddle then I’m good to go. I want them soft and buttons for that price point

Tack wise if your buying for quality used a saddle will be closer to 2k-3k per saddle that is not a mass produced saddle and is handmade by a USA saddle maker. Pack equipment i picked a used decker saddle and wool pad up for $350 but i searched long and hard for a year. The gentlemen bought from was taking all his pack tack to a local auction to sell by his trailer private party so you might have better luck just going to a sale and chatting with people and seeing if you can find someone parting with equipment. I’d like to find pack boxes and still am looking but haven’t been able to find anything used local. So if you come across stuff buy it don’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
$150 saddle?!?!

You bet.

U5rECNV.jpeg

Qi0q0mL.jpeg

It's a 1950's Kenway roping saddle. Guy didn't know what he had, and just wanted his shed space back. Ad described it as "would make a great bar stool."

The biggest thing is make sure the tree isn't broken. That, plus make sure it's decent leather (there are certain tells when looking at old saddles), and you can do okay.

Although I guess I was being a bit dramatic. $150 for the saddle, plus: $25 for used stirrups; $30 for the mohair cinch (used); $18 for the latigo/billet; and $4 for a saddle string. = $227.

16oz of Fiebings neatsfoot oil was $16, and Skidmores leather cream was $34. I used up pretty much all of the neatsfoot oil bringing it back to life, and a quick skim of Skidmores to finish up.

Here it is on the payroll the other day. I'll get some better pictures when I'm at the barn tonight.

7ozXjMi.jpeg

I'm also a big fan of synthetic saddles, especially for hunting. Super cheap (relatively speaking), you can beat them up and not care, they require hardly any maintenance, and are really, really light. They don't look very cowboy/Yellowstone though, so people snub them. Their loss.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
I dont doubt that there are $150 saddles but them and synthetic saddles are junk and I would never use or advocate anyone use one ever

I would never advocate for the use of synthetic saddles either

The tree of any saddle is designed to distribute the weight of the rider. And these saddles (and other cheap mass produced saddle for that matter) have saddle trees that are not made to last. Wood/rawhide are traditional but some of these cheap saddles are made of fiberglass or plastic nonsense. They warp, change shape, or break and will sore your horse. As hunters we buy for quality for several different reasons your horse tack is no different. Someone explained saddle fit to me like putting on a pair of shoes. If they don’t fit they’re going to wreck your feet. Do better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
I dont doubt that there are $150 saddles but them and synthetic saddles are junk and I would never use or advocate anyone use one ever

As they say, it's a free country. 🤷‍♂️

I believe our own @robby denning has used synthetics with great success. Maybe that's changed in the last few years though.

Mike 338

WKR
I have a couple mules. I keep them at a place that boards horses. Lots of places to ride by where I keep them. It's a monthly rate per horse. You have to decide if the cost is worth it. They may feed or you may need to feed and that's reflected in the cost. Sometimes you can just pull into a place with a pasture that's not being used and just ask the owner if you can put your horses in and come up with a price but you may need to trailer them if you don't have places to ride where you keep them. I bought my mules young. I broke and trained them myself and that too affects the cost although during the process, I've been hurt a bit. Learning to train them is definitely a time commitment and buying a good training program from a professional, and not your knucklehead brother-in-law, is probably a smart move that will go a long way towards making your horse good and avoiding injuries to both you and your horse. Just because someone's fed a horse for 20 years doesn't mean they know hardly anything about making them good and reasonably safe. Often it's the other way around. I do the shots and worming myself but don't think vet bills won't happen. It's usually a house call and house calls aren't cheap. I trim and shoe them myself, after teaching myself how, but I'm nowhere near as good as a Ferrier and as the wise 'ole cowboy once said, "no hoof, no horse". Saddles are used. I have an old diesel pickup and a rust-bucket trailer and both are functional and relatively affordable. Gotta spend time with them too. They're not a ATV where you check the oil, top off the gas, turn the key and the rest is automatic. If you don't spend time with them to make them better and safer, you can probably factor in your own medical bills too. That said, time spent is quality time. The way I do it is about as inexpensive as I can make it but it's still very expensive (for me). Oh, and I wouldn't say using mules/horses have made me any more successful as a hunter but they do give me a reason to make the effort to get into places that are just a bit farther than I'd prefer to walk.

If you're thinking horses cause your young daughter "just loves them", keep in mind that as she matures a bit, other things will probably replace the horses as her interests change. Now you're stuck with them and all the work that goes into having them. Maybe consider lessons instead.

Mike 338

WKR
Oh man. I just did this song and dance over the last few years, so in the interest of helping I'll drop some numbers from the top of my head. EDIT: I'm in Canada. Adjust accordingly.

I forget where I heard it (I think one of the posters in this section said it actually): "Horses are cheap. It's all the other stuff that gets expensive."

Basics
- Used truck big enough to safely tow 2-3 horses: $8,000.
- 1970's era rusty 20ft stock trailer: $4,000.
- Pretty broke but moody and Karen-ish 13 yr old mare: $3,500.
- 5 year old draft cross gelding (friends/family price) : $4,500.
- Board during hunting season for 2x horses close to where I live: $500/mo x 3 months
- Beverage/goodwill money to rancher for off-season kick-out-in-pasture $300-600/yr.

Nickel/Dime stuff
- Shoes $250 every 6 weeks.
- Wormer $25.
- Fuel to do stuff: Budget $150 every time.
- Saddles: $150-$600. Marketplace/used is your friend here.
- Misc tack, like breast collars, saddle bags, bits, etc. $100 minimum for each saddle/horse, and that's being generous. Likely more expensive.

Random Stuff
- anything to do with pack saddles is a lost art, and will be hard to find. Unless you want to buy new, in which case it's a billion dollars.

- Nylon rigging/straps/latigos are helpful for keeping costs down.

- Used tack stores are your friend. I buy everything used, because it's usually 1/4 of the price. It might be a bit dusty, but still works fine.

I'm sure there's a bunch I forgot, but that's a start. Really consider if you actually "like" horses, cause it takes away from "hunting", both in time and finances.
This big time.