Back Country sleeping.

Hey all. I was wondering if I could get some input on a back country sleep system. I'm on the fence on whether to go with a down quilt hammock and rain fly or a bivy tent and down bag. When not camping at the truck I like to spike camp around the 5 mile mark. I would definitely appreciate any input! Thanks

OP
B
I'll be any where from 6000-9000ft. Weather conditions could vary from 20-80 degrees.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Hammocks are nice weight-wise, but they wreak havoc on my back after a few nights so I just don’t do it anymore. Bivies can fit just about anywhere and I also drag around a 6x9 tarp to put up an overhead shelter that can be raised/lowered depending on the temperature and weighs less than a pound. There may not be much of a difference in weight between the two options, it just comes down to preference and the abundance of trees to hang a hammock on 👍

gberb18

FNG
I have a one person big agnes tent that is very lightweight and simple to set up. My friend has a stone glacier single man tent that utilizes a tent pole, and I can set mine up much faster and more comfortably. I have a smaller lightweight sleeping pad, I forget the brand, but I purchased it from gohunt. I also choose to go the mummy sleeping bag route due to it being lightweight and takes up a smaller space in my pack. My sleeping bag kind of forces you to sleep on your back and doesn't offer much room if you are a restless sleeper, but when you are tired from climbing all day, and have a meal in your belly, it is much easier to sleep in my experience. I am pretty satisfied with my setup, I have camped into the 20s and faired just fine as long as I wore some warmer clothes to bed.
I thought about going the bivy tent route and almost did. What kept me from the bivy tent and going towards a traditional tent was the lack of space inside a bivy tent. There are many times where it is much more comfortable to hang out inside of a tent, ie eating a meal, rainy day, getting out of the wind. Can't really do that in a bivy tent like you can in a traditional tent.

*zap*

WKR
different conditions may require different arrangements...personnel preference will come thru trying different set ups.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Have you set up and laid down inside a bivy? You'll know right away if its not for you...

Beendare

WKR
Hey Bone,
lots of variables as you can imagine….. from how light you want to go…to how comfortable you want to be.
Example; In my 20’s, I would sometimes curl up in a deer bed with a light tarp over me. Now in my 60’s, I need a thicker bed- usually an inflatable matt and a more comfortable camp.
The section on sleep systems here covers- ad nauseam- the ins and outs of all the different components if you search.

General advice; a backcountry sleep system benefits from its utility- for example a tent doubles as a spot to cook, get dressed hide out from rainstorms where the hammock systems are less utilitarian.

Down bags must have a pad with a good R value otherwise its worthless

ndbuck09

WKR
Tarpten Notch Li weighs around 22oz, double wall 1 person tent. Can sit up in it, have vestibules protected from rain and don't have to be a burrito in a bivy. Personally, with a tent that light and small, don't see the benefit to a bivy sack comparatively.

wyogoat

WKR
I’ve done the hammock and bivy sack thing and they have their place but I’ve gone to a lightweight 2-person tent for my solo backcountry stuff and I think that’s the way to go. You can keep your stuff inside and dry and cook in the vestibule if weather is crappy. Mine is 2lbs 10oz and packs really small. I just run a Kuiu 3600 and can get everything needed for 5 days inside with that tent. It’s a Sierra Designs tent.
I use down bags also and personally double up the pad with a light foam under the Nemo inflatable.

Attachments

• 20210922_180544.jpeg
    20210922_180544.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 35

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tarpten Notch Li weighs around 22oz, double wall 1 person tent. Can sit up in it, have vestibules protected from rain and don't have to be a burrito in a bivy. Personally, with a tent that light and small, don't see the benefit to a bivy sack comparatively.

I'm now in this camp. 10+ years ago I was all over tarp/bivy combos, great way to save weight, but guaranteed with enough nights out- you're going to suffer some.

With lightweight tents now knocking at close to the one pound range, I'll take the less cramped quarters, better weather protection and a vestibule(s).

My eVent bivy is now mostly reserved for sleeping in a snow cave or other snow shelter in the winter.

The problem with hammocking is weight. You need a top quilt and a bottom quilt for insulation. As others have said, modern materials make ultralight tents the undisputed champion. You can't beat them from a weight/comfort/protection perspective. Still, I rock a bivy and a tarp because I enjoy it. On calm nights, a bivy is hard to beat. I love the simplicity, the speed, and the views afforded. Sure, the bivy/tarp combo can get hairy at times in bad weather, but you learn a ton about site selection and have stories to share.

wyogoat

WKR
The problem with hammocking is weight. You need a top quilt and a bottom quilt for insulation. As others have said, modern materials make ultralight tents the undisputed champion. You can't beat them from a weight/comfort/protection perspective. Still, I rock a bivy and a tarp because I enjoy it. On calm nights, a bivy is hard to beat. I love the simplicity, the speed, and the views afforded. Sure, the bivy/tarp combo can get hairy at times in bad weather, but you learn a ton about site selection and have stories to share.
I agree with the statement about weight, I didn’t find it shaved any weight going to a hammock. One benefit is you don’t need level ground but that’s about the only benefit I noticed. Which can be huge in certain areas…

t_carlson

WKR
I don't think there is a "one size fits all" solution to this question.

Initially, I HATED bivy sacks, but I've come to love them after spending several nights out under the stars. Simple, lightweight.

But in bad weather, they are a nightmare.

Hammocks are a bit better and more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, IMO, but even with a tarp you'll lose a lot of heat due to the air circulation, particularly if the wind is blowing.

UL tents are the next step up, and then a good 4-season, like the Hilleberg Atko is after that.

Shelters are like guns and golf clubs.

kabarNC

FNG
I love my Tarptent Notch Li. I'm 6'4" and it's actually long enough for me; there's very few floored 1 person shelters that are. If you can find a flat spot big enough for your sleeping pad, you can pitch it.

Vestibules are nice too, I was in one rain storm that was powerful enough to wash one of my boots out from under it, but other than that my gear and I were dry.

Like has been said, there's many different reasons to pick anything from hotel to wall tent to hot tipi to backpacking tent to tarp and bivy. I like my backpacking tent for being good enough to make sense in most of my hunting scenarios.

Also not a hammock fan either, because by the time you pack enough things to stay warm and dry you're into tent weight, depending on weather.

GoatPackr

WKR
I looked at the hammock idea at one point and after playing with one around the house or car camping I realized it wasn't for me. Not comfortable and doesn't save enough weight but the big reason is I like hunting places with smaller trees that would be a problem and also burns. You don't want to set a hammock between dead trees.

The small tent or a Bivy is the way to go. I did experiment with a Bivy last summer and loved it. Not sure I'd use one with known bad weather coming in. Hard to beat a tent and stove for that.

Kris

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You are going to get several different opinions. Sleep systems are like good boots. What works well for one person sucks for another.

I use the same sleeping pad for all hunts. I use 3 different sleeping bags depending on weather. I very rarely use a tent.

Marble

WKR
I've never been a fan of hammocks. Not comfortable for me.

As far as camping goes, I like the ability to put all my stuff in my tent with me and keep it dry.

If you get a 2-3 person tent, then if you take someone with, they won't need their own accommodations. And if weather is good, you don't always need a tent.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all. I was wondering if I could get some input on a back country sleep system. I'm on the fence on whether to go with a down quilt hammock and rain fly or a bivy tent and down bag. When not camping at the truck I like to spike camp around the 5 mile mark. I would definitely appreciate any input! Thanks
Hook, line and sinker. Is it 4/1/2024?